2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Last night was Mr V's company party, and I'm super afraid I indulged a bit too much. My WW plan allows me to save up "extra" points for such thing but I'm sure the 4 captain & ginger ale's didn't help either. I was thinking about getting on the scale this AM just to see how much damage I did but I know I will just get too upset. Instead, taking my energy to the gym today and have a goal to do 15 miles on the bike and 5 on the treadmill.

I have some sort of determination this time, to actually do this. And no one is stopping me. (Even if I drank a bit too much last night; and those damn mashed potatoes were SO GOOD)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, you got this! Nothing wrong with the occasional indulgence, as long as you do what you are doing and know it was just that and get right back on the program. The process doesn't take perfection, just determination. Even any actual weight gain is going to likely be water retention not fat gain. And in a few days that will right itself.

0cc94f0a2f594aa0e54257b39d7018f0.jpg

I was very intrigued by an article referenced in the workout thread called "The hierarchy of fat loss". One of its main points is how important nutrition is to fat loss, you can't outwork a bad diet.

But also, it promotes the importance of resistance weight training for fat loss right away. Most people think they should diet and lose weight first before adding muscle. But weight training actually helps burn fat more effectively than other exercise. Next is anaerobic stuff and then others as you go down the pyramid. The least effective is low intensity movement like jogging on treadmill yet that's where many spend the majority of their exercise time.

Again, everyone's goals and time and style are different and I am totally a novice at all this. But it did get me thinking differently about how I will spend my workout time to augment my nutrition efforts. Your mileage may vary.

I was very intrigued by an article referenced in the workout thread called "The hierarchy of fat loss". One of its main points is how important nutrition is to fat loss, you can't outwork a bad diet.

But also, it promotes the importance of resistance weight training for fat loss right away. Most people think they should diet and lose weight first before adding muscle. But weight training actually helps burn fat more effectively than other exercise. Next is anaerobic stuff and then others as you go down the pyramid. The least effective is low intensity movement like jogging on treadmill yet that's where many spend the majority of their exercise time.

Again, everyone's goals and time and style are different and I am totally a novice at all this. But it did get me thinking differently about how I will spend my workout time to augment my nutrition efforts. Your mileage may vary.

I love that article, and reference it every chance I get. One thing people sometimes lose sight of is it is not weight you want to lose, but fat.

Sowega, if that article makes sense to you and you are looking for a good guideline of how to implement it Alwyn has a couple of good books to read. But, the best I have seen on it is a book called Fat Loss Begins on Monday by Dan John. Pretty much gives you everything you need, and a great guide to how to use weight training and metabolic work.

Today was the first day all week (including yesterday) that I din't go to an Orange Theory class and even though I am CRAZY sore, I honestly miss going. And we are traveling all week so I won't get to go again until Monday the 18th.

I honestly can't wait to go back, I feel so good after going and even though I am still the worst person in the class I am already seeing a small improvement in my cardio abilities. I am actually really excited about this year long journey (and really lifelong journey). I have about 30lbs to lose over the next year...it will happen!

I hate missing classes! It hurts when I am there but its so worth it. tomorrow is have my 800 m row plus the workout
Today was the first day all week (including yesterday) that I din't go to an Orange Theory class and even though I am CRAZY sore, I honestly miss going. And we are traveling all week so I won't get to go again until Monday the 18th.

I honestly can't wait to go back, I feel so good after going and even though I am still the worst person in the class I am already seeing a small improvement in my cardio abilities. I am actually really excited about this year long journey (and really lifelong journey). I have about 30lbs to lose over the next year...it will happen!

Not sure how you're being instructed in the rowing pieces, but I would challenge you to keep at a 24 stroke rate and a 1:3 (pull:recovery) tempo. :)

I hate missing classes! It hurts when I am there but its so worth it. tomorrow is have my 800 m row plus the workout

Not sure how you're being instructed in the rowing pieces, but I would challenge you to keep at a 24 stroke rate and a 1:3 (pull:recovery) tempo. :)

That is my warm up. I get into push pace at 32 strokes and all out at 37.

Forgot to post this morning that weigh in had me down another 2 lbs, 28 since I started back in Sept. last year.

Nice to be able to see the belt buckle when standing in front of the mirror. If I can keep this up, I just may be posting in "What did you wear" for the Kickoff Classic!

Forms sent to trainer, waiting for the program and macro calculations. 16 weeks starts this wed.

I'm down 8 pounds so far this year. Not doing much different other than watching what I eat. Being realistic about it as well I know I will cheap sometimes or want a Beer at some point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Weigh in #1 will be interesting tomorrow. Started last Monday at 209 (ouch) so we will see what happens.

Weigh in #1 will be interesting tomorrow. Started last Monday at 209 (ouch) so we will see what happens.

I cannot wait to see what it says man. Week 1 of advocare for me I'm hoping for 4-5 pounds

Week one 234 -> 229.8, not bad! Cut out sugar, made a meal plan for the week with my girlfriend and regular exercise. Bonus was saving a good chunk of change not eating out every lunch at the office and a couple times a week for dinner.

No goal weight yet but I'll re-evaluate when I get under 200 pounds. Been awhile but the plan is not ever get back above 2 bills.

Great job with the losses this first full week of 2016. I'm Planning ahead now to make week 2 successful. Menus, workout plans, and I got a party Thurs night. Will need to think ahead about what I will eat/drink and how much so I don't just eat without any filters.

My first real weigh in this morning. Down 4 lbs from last Monday. Pretty good start for me. I haven't been too hungry, but have been working to not snack as much. I have also gotten rid of much of the holiday candy and cookies that we had laying around. I may have eaten most of it, but at least they are gone now.

Hopefully I can keep losing. I would be very happy with 1 lb per week.

Wk 1, 209 to 203.4. I always have a good first week, but I didn't expect this on WW honestly. This week I'm also beginning running and yoga so we shall see how it goes. Goal for summer is 180, thats a loft goal.

Wk 1, 209 to 203.4. I always have a good first week, but I didn't expect this on WW honestly. This week I'm also beginning running and yoga so we shall see how it goes. Goal for summer is 180, thats a loft goal.

That's a damn good start for the first week!

Day 1 of travel and I had steel cut oats for breakfast. The banana's foster pancakes sounded amazing, but I was good and went with oatmeal. Of course I had deep dish pizza for dinner last night, but when in Rome... :smile:

That a boy!

Myself I dropped 4.5 pounds, so now down 64.5 pounds total. Looking at my numbers, I weighed in for the first time in all of this 368 days ago. Will be fun to weigh in again on Wednesday and get my exact year change.

It has been a heck of a ride, I am really hoping to see 185ish by swimsuit season

Just about a pound a week, if you go with July. You can get that done.

Down about a pound and a half, according to the Withings app. Body fat down a bit as well, and that's consistent with how I feel. Plan is to keep on keeping on with the diet - I've been hitting my macros, and haven't been waking up hungry or anything.

Just about a pound a week, if you go with July. You can get that done.

Down about a pound and a half, according to the Withings app. Body fat down a bit as well, and that's consistent with how I feel. Plan is to keep on keeping on with the diet - I've been hitting my macros, and haven't been waking up hungry or anything.

I can do more than a pound a week. I am shooting for 2 a week, have been averaging about that if you don't count about the 2.5 months where I fell off of the wagon and gained about 20 pounds back. I know as I continue to lose I will have to consume less, but that hasn't been an issue thus far.

Nice dude! I was hoping to be down a few this morning as well, but the massive amount of food I ate after my race yesterday is still with me...
That a boy!

Myself I dropped 4.5 pounds, so now down 64.5 pounds total. Looking at my numbers, I weighed in for the first time in all of this 368 days ago. Will be fun to weigh in again on Wednesday and get my exact year change.

It has been a heck of a ride, I am really hoping to see 185ish by swimsuit season
Swimsuit season? Next week? :alien:

Nice dude! I was hoping to be down a few this morning as well, but the massive amount of food I ate after my race yesterday is still with me...

Swimsuit season? Next week? :alien:

Haha not in Kansas City. My goal is by Mayish to be at 185. That would put me at like 90 pounds, which is insane to think about.

Haha not in Kansas City. My goal is by Mayish to be at 185. That would put me at like 90 pounds, which is insane to think about.
I hear ya dude. Your journey has been amazing.

I look back at pictures of myself at 330+ lbs from 10 years ago and dont even recognize that person.

Back