Whenever I travel back home, anything peaches. Peach jelly, peach preserves, whole peaches, peach pie, peach ice cream, anything.

Zaxbys is now a must stop anytime I am near one. Much like Krystals, I don't know if it's because I like them or the fact that I can't get them here but I'll stop traffic to get one.

Whenever I go to California I return with 75% of my body mass as In-n-out (and discount liquor).

We have a whole bunch to add in here when I get a second and looking forward to seeing what 2015 brings in the travel dining department.

I'm more of a "local beer" kind of guy when I travel, but I will also try regional foods.

I'm in Scottsdale right now and the homogenization of American dinning is epitomized here. Not complaining but I'm at Capital Grille tonight because I couldn't mind anything unique within a reasonable drive from my hotel.

I'm in Scottsdale right now and the homogenization of American dinning is epitomized here. Not complaining but I'm at Capital Grille tonight because I couldn't mind anything unique within a reasonable drive from my hotel.
Then you're looking in the in wrong spots. I could find awesome Mexican, Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Pizza, etc anywhere in Scottsdale.

I'm sure you're right but I wanted something within a quick drive so I could enjoy other things with my meal.

Shame on me for referencing Scottsdale, it's a national issue.

Have to come back and update this more.

First off is SoCal. Love me some Miguels for Mexican food.
Had burgers from many places, including Pure, Notorious, In and Out and Habit. All were fine, but would probably say Notorious was the best of the bunch and none would be on my "must have" list of food.

Breakfast place called Beach Plum near La Costa, is definitely on the must go to list. Fantastic place.

Pappys in St. Louis was listed by Food Network as the best ribs in the country.

Glad we got to eat there.

Pappys in St. Louis was listed by Food Network as the best ribs in the country.

Glad we got to eat there.

Not surprising. Phenomenal, and well worth what is usually a long wait.

I'm going to need Waffle House down in Alabama (I assume it's there). Every time I fly down south I need to stop at least once. Not exactly dining but definitely travel food for me :)

I'm going to need Waffle House down in Alabama (I assume it's there). Every time I fly down south I need to stop at least once. Not exactly dining but definitely travel food for me :)

We have a killer Waffle House thread too.

Have a couple of trips coming up that I get to go to some old favorites.

OWC in Grapevine will happen for breakfast.
Miguels for the bacon wrapped shrimp covered in cheese.

I'm in Pottsville PA right now, and the breadth of Italian food here is astounding compared to at home in WA.

Almost as astounding as the utter lack of almost anything else hahaha

When in south Jersey, I like to play the Marriot Seaview bay course and my wife and I eat at the Oyster Creek Inn which is a seafood place down a gravel road in the meadows in Leeds Point. Excellent locally known place not fancy but good seafood.

What kind of cheese on the shrimp, sounds very interesting.

Man I love their French Toast, THP related - "the Cookie" at OWC is awesome, French Toast, two eggs, choice of ham, bacon or sausage.....

Travel Dining

What kind of cheese on the shrimp, sounds very interesting.

Queso blanco.

Man I love their French Toast, THP related - "the Cookie" at OWC is awesome, French Toast, two eggs, choice of ham, bacon or sausage.....

Place is solid overall.

the only place we consistently visit is opelika, and i make it a point to go to jim bob's for chicken fingers. other than that, we are pretty adventurous.

This week I am hitting my 2 favorite Kansas City spots since I am moving, so they qualify in my opinion.

Had a Pitmaster Brisket from Q39 on Sunday

Tonight I am getting the best wings in the city from The Peanut.

Cracker Barrel. Not fancy but we would always drive to Florida twice a year growing up and always stopped at Cracker Barrel for at least one meal. I can only go there while traveling on vacation though haha

Washington DC : La Chaumiere, a small french restaurant near george town, opposite four seasons hotel. I must go back there. The owner of restaurant, at one time cooked for me a special dish for appetizer : cold melon soup.... the soup texture is like pumpkin soup, the soup is prepared very cold and taste refreshing.

My favorites tend to be well off the beaten track.

It starts with the place just 4 blocks from our house, Bully's Pub 'n Grub. Some of the best steaks you will find anywhere, cooked like they are supposed to be cooked. Mark is a former meatcutter and he knows how to cut his steaks. All beef is local, bought on the hoof and all the meat cutting is done in house. They always have a few microbrews on tap but don't expect too much of a wine cellar.

Then lost down a little canyon in the foothills about an hour southwest of Denver is The Buck Snort Saloon. Awesome burgers, but don't ask for french fries, 'cause they don't do 'em. Good food, good beer, and live music on Saturday nights. A great place to stop for lunch on a weekend drive in the mountains.

When I get up to my old home town of Great Falls, Montana, I still make a point to stop at Boyd's Burgermaster (one of the few local drive-ins that seems to have managed to survive being beaten out by the chains), at one end of the "drag" - it was one place that we always hit when cruising back in the 60's.

None of them is on the way to or from anywhere important, so you sort of have to make a point of going there.

As for others, not a lot of specifics, but I like to drive the two lane roads around the country out here, and you find some great little mom and pop restaurants in western towns. Good home cooking, and good people. It's rarely a mistake to stop in and ask what the daily special is.

Back