Best Field in Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What tournament has the best field in all of golf?

Has to be The Masters...both of the Opens are, open and the PGA Championship has the Club Pro's pulling the strength weighting down.

If you go by world rankings, I think it is the PGA but if you go by opportunity I think it is the British Open!

I say Masters

• Admin
Has to be The Masters...both of the Opens are, open and the PGA Championship has the Club Pro's pulling the strength weighting down.

Ya think so? I would argue that a bit I think. With how you get in, quite a few top 50 players are not there.

Match Play.

oh man that's a great question. I need to think about it. All 4 Major fields are strong. Oddly enough I might say the Players though. Don't write that in ink though, I need to look things over.

WGC Cadillac championship... duh!! :bulgy-eyes:

Problem with the masters is the life long exemptions. There are a lot of guys way past their peak playing that have zero shot of winning. It does kinda make it top heavy. Which isn't really a bad thing.

Ryder Cup would be a good field

oh man that's a great question. I need to think about it. All 4 Major fields are strong. Oddly enough I might say the Players though. Don't write that in ink though, I need to look things over.

My gut says thats the one.

Problem with the masters is the life long exemptions. There are a lot of guys way past their peak playing that have zero shot of winning. It does kinda make it top heavy. Which isn't really a bad thing.

A good example of this is players like Tony Finau and Gary Woodland not in the field this week.

life long exemptions, limited field, and the emphasis on Am's being part of the field.

A good example of this is players like Tony Finau and Gary Woodland not in the field this week.

it's strange, I think it's probably the most coveted invite, and the one that is the hardest to get in to, but yet not the toughest field.

PGA grand slam of golf :D

True, that's a fair point. Though I'd add that the requirements to get an invite to The Masters are a little harder than making a few cuts to get into the top of the rankings. They have to earn that spot at The Masters not just be decent over the course of the year. Which is way Tony and Gary aren't there this week.

I would say typically the players championship. It has top 125 on pga money, top 50 on world golf ranking, top 30 previous year FedEx and current year top 10 FedEx.

All of the majors have a somewhat reduced field. Whether it be past champions at the masters, am qualifiers for US and British Opens, or club pros at PGA. They all bring the quality of the field down somewhat.

For the current year I would say the tour championship

As some have stated the masters has so many exemptions and entrance criteria that there aren't always enough top players there.

I would think either the Players or WGC Cadillac woukd be the two strongest

The FedEx Cup Playoff. Although biased for U.S. PGA Tour players only, it ensures the top players for that season are involved. Worldwide, I would say either a Ryder Cup / Presidents Cup (limited field, but top players), the British Open (tradition and history), or the Masters (first Major of the season).

I think it is the Players. The Open's have the qualifiers, the PGA has the club pros and the Masters has the lifelong exemptions and a few amateur qualifiers from around the world.

i second this. players.

The Masters is the worst field of all the majors. First you have all the past champions, then the am qualifiers, and lastly it is a reduced field event. The Masters is typically under 100 players. The other events are all 125 player plus events I believe.

True, that's a fair point. Though I'd add that the requirements to get an invite to The Masters are a little harder than making a few cuts to get into the top of the rankings. They have to earn that spot at The Masters not just be decent over the course of the year. Which is way Tony and Gary aren't there this week.

Well to be fair, Tony did just win.
But that furthers the point I think. There are players throughout the field in the Masters that literally have zero chance of winning. They are there based on exemptions and history.

I'll go with the Players. Top 125 previous years money winners, top 50 current years money list, win a major in the past 5 years etc. seems to make it more selective.

Back