PXG Darkness Driver Preview

I have a genuine question here.
What makes people so "into" PXG and not into XXIO?
Similar cost.
One has a pedigree already on multiple tours (its not PXG).

The only thing I can figure out is that they signed a bunch of PGA Tour players.
Because outside of that, XXIO was already making very high end equipment, and doing it in all areas (meaning creating their own shafts too) and its either skipped over or the comments are "too expensive".

I ask genuinely because for the life of me I cant figure this out.
My honest thinking about that... is XXIO isn't so brash about their product... they know what they have, and they let the product sell itself.... where as with PXG... you have Bob Parsons with his IDGAF attitude making waves and wild claimes about his product...
for one I'm genuinely intrigued about both... but with XXIO not getting enough mention on the forums for the reasons stated above... it's easier to follow along with PXG and what he is doing... I would love to see head to head comparisons on with PXG VS XXIO though on all facets... Drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, and irons

By "people" are we talking the general consumer, or THP users?

As a THP'er, we see a lot about XXIO and PXG. We hear good things about XXIO because of our members comments.

As a general consumer, I see PXG because it is more noticed on the PGA tour (but mainly because I heard ZJ talk about it after his round the other day). I don't think you see that exposure with XXIO (but that is just my opinion).

Similar cost.

The only thing I can figure out is that they signed a bunch of PGA Tour players.
Because outside of that, XXIO was already making very high end equipment, and doing it in all areas (meaning creating their own shafts too) and its either skipped over or the comments are "too expensive".

i am intrigued by both lines. I have had a chance to demo xxio last year and look forward to getting the chance with the drivers again at club clash and maybe if ddec brings the irons take some swings on the range. I find the technology interesting in the woods with the heavy head and light shaft and grip and how it performs well for it's target market while also performing well for players with a higher SS. I was glad to see them finally come to the U.S. and have the driver on my ponder list post club clash

with pxg the tour presence doesn't influence me but it's I there sting to see that many players jump over. I would like to see how well the clubs work and demo them. Being able to see some of the tech is cool.

While $5k on a full bag isn't something I would spend I'm not against possibly spending $2500 for irons that work for my game or $600-700 on a driver(spent that on numerous drivers in the same year)

Similar cost.

To me XXIO is just another overpriced equipment company from Japan. Just like Epon,Miura, etc. It's like these brands have to be expensive just because they're from Japan.

PXG just seems like a break from the norm and I like it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PXG Darkness Driver Preview

I'm interested in PXG simply because the looks of them. Has nothing to do with pricing. I see the question vs XXIO but I like the "bold" look of these. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't XXIO marketing geared toward the "average player". I thought I read that somewhere. Could be a large part in that as "internet golfers" wouldn't consider themselves "average". Think it's more image than pricing?

I had only hit 1 xxio iron before and that was in Brazil with a friend that has been playing only their clubs for years it was very easy to hit and at the time I was playing pure MB clubs and it was just night and day. Then I hit the xxio prime a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like it could be a game changer for a older, slower swinging guy but I also saw 4 or 5 young guns kill it also.
I believe the thought that they are made for "average golfer" is very valid, but the thinking is to make average golfers better. In Japan saving face is very important and if a club gives you some "face saving" benefits the price is of no concern they will sell.
Now this is my own theory and I have no facts to back it up.
PXG IMO is after the exact opposite market or maybe they just don't care if you are "average" their target market is high rollers that maybe can play golf or Pros that certainly can.
Either club will work for somebody and both have a niche, but the chance for "average" folks to even hold the PXG is not very good from their apparent marketing strategy.

Similar cost.

for me neither is really an option. I just don't have the scratch to go out and drop that kind of dough on a golf club. I had never heard of either until I joined this forum (yay KNOWLEDGE!!!) If I HAD to pick one blind? I'd pick the XXIO and not just because of looks, but the XXIO is viewed highly by several people that have hit their clubs here. I've heard nothing about PXG's clubs. I know of only one person that's bought them.

Why discuss the PXG clubs? Besides this one picture (which merits some discussion you have to admit) they're interesting, big splash, lots of press stuff. XXIO, seems pretty quiet. SO that leaves us to discuss screws and odd shaped weight ports (is that what they are?)

Similar cost.

for me it's purely a looks thing. I had never heard of either one until a year or so ago tbh, and I'll doubtful ever own either one at their prices. I was never against anything xxio made, and I would gladly play the xxio driver I hit at Lake Jovita based solely on the performance I saw. For the pxg, I honestly think they're stunning to look at, especially since I love black irons. But again, I'll never play them at their price tag, but would love to try them out for fun.

PXG looks more "techy" to me thus the appeal vs XXIO.

Don't think PXG had ever planned on keeping the screws, that was just the easiest way to experiment moving the CG around easily. Then people said the screws look cool, Parsons agreed and it ended up being the most recognizable thing about the clubs. Really want to hit the irons though, they look sexy like blades but are way easier to hit, or so I have read. If money wasn't an issue I would test this driver for sure and compare it to the M1 which by the time you upgrade the shaft is almost the same cost. Currently I am slumming with an R15 since I don't have the money to spend $500 for a club when the last model is only like $200

Sorry I'm late to the party as I have just discovered this site. I have a friend who works for a PXG dealer and is in charge of all their club building. They also sell a number of JDM products like Epon. He says the PXG drivers are excellent but higher spinning than some other current highly regarded drivers. The irons he feels are their strongest models. I will be able to test PXG's line two weeks from now and will report back.

Ciao.

Similar cost.

Rightly or wrongly I lump XXIO into the same category as Honma. Overpriced for the sake of being overpriced and more of a trophy club rather than a club that performs. PXG looks as though there is genuine tech to go along with its pricing. I live in a predominantly Asian community and the shops carry $15,000 Honma iron sets and $2000 woods and I just can't see anything built into them to justify that pricing. Somehow without hitting an XXIO club I've lumped them into that Honma category as well.

Rightly or wrongly I lump XXIO into the same category as Honma. Overpriced for the sake of being overpriced and more of a trophy club rather than a club that performs. PXG looks as though there is genuine tech to go along with its pricing. I live in a predominantly Asian community and the shops carry $15,000 Honma iron sets and $2000 woods and I just can't see anything built into them to justify that pricing. Somehow without hitting an XXIO club I've lumped them into that Honma category as well.

Genuine question because I am really interested in this.
You are a guy that is pretty into shafts. Is there any visual tech that tells you the pricing is justified?
Im not saying you are right or wrong, just a good conversation and I think visual tech plays a role here, along with signing PGA Tour talent.

Genuine question because I am really interested in this.
You are a guy that is pretty into shafts. Is there any visual tech that tells you the pricing is justified?
Im not saying you are right or wrong, just a good conversation and I think visual tech plays a role here, along with signing PGA Tour talent.

Honestly when it comes to visual tech on shafts there really doesn't seem to be much on any manufacturer's product. We hear about exotic fibers and 40/80 ton this and that but we pretty much have to take the manufacturer's word on it. When it comes to pricing justification for shafts I rely pretty much on word of mouth, tour usage, Don at TT and staff/member reviews here at THP.

As far as the visual tech on the heads I've studied Honma extra closely, tried friend's clubs and I see and feel nothing. I'm like "What??? $2000 for a driver??? It's not even adjustable!!!" I understand the craftsmanship that goes into their higher end products I just fail to see how that helps your average golfer.

I look at the PXG line and yeah it is 100% visual. Pro signings don't interest me unless it's Phil. If he switched to PXE the wife's new bed set would have to wait as would my kid's college education. He's my wild card. I've followed him from Yonex (Why Phil, why? They were the best!!) to Titleist (Thanks for making me purchase clubs I could only use for like a year!) and now Callaway (Please don't sign with PXG!)

"You are a guy that is pretty into shafts"

PdIpwa2.png

I wouldn't leave that club alone with the Aeroburner.

Back