How Good Are You At Reading Greens?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Different kinds of grass, different slopes and of course different speeds. Can you read greens?

Sometimes I feel completely lost out there and I am second guessing everything, sometimes I make perfect reads. My conclusion is half the time I am right all the time.

I'd say I do ok at reading greens. It's something I should practice just a bit more though on some of those reads where it could go either way.

I can spend the time on a practice green taking the extra time to see those nuances so I can pick up on them with little delay when on the course.

I think this is one of my biggest weaknesses. I putt well on courses that I play often due to familiarity with the greens but I suck at reading them and adapting on the fly.
I even made this a huge part of my lessons earlier this year and did a bunch of drills to improve but none of it seemed to help for more than a short period of time.

Different kinds of grass, different slopes and of course different speeds. Can you read greens?

I'm awful. Especially if I'm putting across a slope to some degree. Seems like I always get things backwards.

I can read bermuda MUCH better than I can read bent. I think I can read greens pretty well overall.

Much better than my perception of myself reading greens. I tell people all the time I can't read a green to save my life, but the truth is, I actually see break fairly well--it's the pace (touch of an elephant) that I struggle with. Then again, those two things are connected, so I'll stick with I suck at it.

Nope. In the MC I had Wardy read the greens for me with his voodoo aimpoint tricks. I'm getting better and find I generally pick a good line (meaning at the right speed it would go in) but my speed control doesn't match up and I miss.

I would say I'm average. Typically do okay with speed but don't know anything about grain so I don't even take that into account.

Have gotten better with determining & using low point on green to help with the read.

Thats a tough question to answer. I feel that the courses I play a lot I am normally can read the greens well, I can still hit a bad putt though. On new courses I think I can read the break fine but sometimes have trouble with speed.

Second thought I know I tend to push the ball to the right on my putts so I aim a little further to play that

I'm pretty good at reading greens & understanding nuance breaks.

Now me actually executing the putt is a different story

not very good. Can usually always tell the break but struggle with speed. Never even thought about different types of grass. 1 out of 3 isnt bad I guess.

Probably neck and neck with green side bunkers as my strongest part of my game

Awful. I learned from Helen Keller it seems.

I'm pretty good and I think my lag putting shows that. I'm better at long reads that I am at short ones which is super annoying--hitting all the way across the green reading multiple breaks correctly and getting it within 5 feet, then missing the 5-footer.

I will put myself in for average at green reading. Probably a little stronger at reading breaks than distance control.

I feel pretty confident reading the bermuda greens we have around here, but you put me on bent, and most of the time I'm completely lost. I don't know why it works that way. I've only played a handful of greens that were bent and most of the time, I struggle pretty badly.

Probably below average, I don't play very many courses that have difficult greens.

This one is really frustrating for me now. Years ago I was well above average at reading greens (mostly played bermuda) but ever since getting back into golf two years ago I'm beyond awful (mostly play bent).

Last edited:
I'm OK. More obvious breaks and single breaks I'm pretty good. When they start to get complex or subtle, I have trouble. And I'm much better on bent grass, I am NOT good at reading grain and I suck on Bermuda lol.

I'd love to learn from someone who is a really strong green reader sometime.

I consider this a weakness of my game.

Decent. I can read quicker greens better though. I tend to read too much break on slow greens because they don't actually tend to break as much as quicker greens.

Back