The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an ugly sim round yesterday, went to the range to see what actual ball flight was. It was no bueno. Don't know what the heck is going on, but it isn't good. Lots of shots way right from target line, anything longer than a 7-iron felt like hitting a golf ball sized chunk of tool steel. Ugh.

But, to not be a complete downer, I did hit my SW and PW a bunch, and really dialed in some nice pin-seekers (by which, I mean within a 15' radius of the flag.

So, all I need to do is play nothing but executive courses and I'll be golden.

Spent a ton of time on the range today, and on the putting green and chipping practice. Man it felt good to find a groove today. Really really good in fact.

Last edited:
Spent a ton of time on the range today, and n the putting green and chipping practice. Man it felt good to find a groove today. Really really good in fact.
Sounds like you have some great weather there?

Spent a ton of time on the range today, and on the putting green and chipping practice. Man it felt good to find a groove today. Really really good in fact.
Well that swing never looks bad even when it's not in the groove. Would have liked to been there to see it really working.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Spent about 30 minutes on the range between 9s today. My season hasn't "started" yet but I'm happy with the swing I have. Tempo is key right now and when I get quick the results turn poor quickly.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Spent about and hour and a half practicing before I went out and played today. Hit a few balls on the range to get warmed up and everything felt good there, putting went well and even my pitching and chipping wasn't too bad. However, the practice success did not translate to on course success; my short game was the mess it has been for the past couple of months. I am thinking professional help may be needed.

How did the knee hold up?

Hit the range today as I needed to do some work and see ball flight. First bucket was meh not bad but not great it was just an average session, got some putting indoors then a word with my instructor on what I had seen on the range and on the course.

Tip was to keep the face square longer to the target- as I have a tendency to open it too soon and too much which then causes me to slam it shut causing unintended draws.

Snagged a small bucket and went back to the range and focused on keeping the 7i face square to my target longer and low to the ground- immediate change in ball flight and accuracy. Moved on to driver focused on face square to target longer and making a good shoulder turn and loading into my right leg had mediocre results till I figured out/felt I was letting my right elbow get up and away from my side. Keeping my right elbow down along with a solid shoulder turn turned my weak high fades into straight ropes.

Good day today on the range

The weather up here in CT was absolutely incredible (for mid February) over the weekend so I took full advantage and got out to the range both days. I'm still working on getting a little better/more consistent shoulder turn in my backswing and setting up a little closer and taller to the ball. Contact was decent, definitely getting better as I shake the rust off. I've been struggling with the driver, hitting big giant hooks. Not sure if its the shaft I swapped in over the winter, or just a poor swing at this point. I was worried I'd have some real issues when I get to Florida this week so I started messing with the face adjustments on my Vapor Pro. I set it to 9.5 and Right and started hitting long, high, straight bombs. I couldn't believe the difference the adjustment made, went from ugly pull hooks to high and straight with the exact same swing. Thank god for technology.

Saturday, Went in for a lesson and after about 15 minutes we switched to driver. I just couldnt sync a swing, was horrible, and was getting frustrated. We agreed to cut the lesson short, and pick it up at a later time.
Sometimes its better to take a step back before frustrations keep you from taking a step forward.

Sad to say the struggles carried over to the course yesterday.
But on the plus side, I hit some great irons and Wedges yesterday!

After golf practice, I'll stay until dark on the putting green, just working on straight putts. I'll get two alignment sticks and put them parallel a little wider than my putter head about 4 feet from the hole and put a ball at the front, middle, and back of the sticks and just work on my stroke. I saw a good tip from the School of Golf guy to put a small golf towel just behind the hole and the goal is to putt with enough speed that you can keep the ball on the towel if you miss the putt. This will ensure you don't leave any putts short and don't run it by so far that you won't have a tough comebacker. I'm a streaky putter, so I'm hoping this will make me more consistent.

Hit the range for the first time this year, yesterday. I put in some serious swings before I went to the range, enough that my hands where sore. Then once it warmed up I went to the range and hit. It's nice to see that my swing changes are working, especially with my irons. I wasn't really worried about my woods/hybrids really as the swing change is all relative to them across the board.

I felt a little unhinged, if I'm being honest, but it was nice to see a ball in the air and the fell of the click off of the club face.

Back to the range at lunch today. Will be working on scoring clubs and simulating approach shots. Usually only hit about 10 drivers just to keep it solid and feeling up, Been working exclusively and getting consistent carry numbers with each iron and hitting a target.

High school team practice was scheduled with the threat of bad weather, so I ran out and walked 5 holes before the bottom fell out.

I've been losing shots right lately, which is unlike me. I started going more straight back and up on the backswing to try and make sure I would bring the club down to the inside and sure enough, starting hitting high and tight draws again with irons and the driver. My wedges have also been abysmal for the past couple of months, so I dropped a few balls down around the 100 yd marker and went really steep and finally started feeling like my old self with the wedge in my hand. It used to be a strength. Hoping to keep these positive swing thoughts going forward and seeing a downward trend in my scores.

I've been working on the A-Swing, and I'm completely sold. This backswing has made a 100% difference in my ballstriking. I'm all in and not looking back. Cannot wait to actually get a chance to play again!

First range session after a full lesson and I did terrible.Seems like every time I take a lesson I do poorly for a few days after.Just terrible is all I can say

First range session after a full lesson and I did terrible.Seems like every time I take a lesson I do poorly for a few days after.Just terrible is all I can say

Gotta keep in mind, you've been doing the same moves over and over again that were wrong in your instructor's eyes and you're having to relearn something completely foreign to you. A bucket of balls isn't going to change that all of a sudden.

Ward right your breaking bad habits and creating new ones. Putting your body in positions so it has to relearn how to get back to the ball and make solid contact

Had an hour and half on the Sim before the first group showed up. Brought my 60* 54* 7 iron and driver. After spending some time with each club I went back back to the 60 and threw up the 90 yard target for awhile. Felt really good to get some work in with the wedges.

86c996822bb7886981667a58b4b91eb2.jpg

I think I found something in my putting here tonight at home. My head position is a little too far forward and I've been pulling my putts every once in a while. Moving my head back keeps me more stable and I feel more on line with my stroke. I need more time with it, but I'm liking what I saw tonight.

I'm feeling really good about where I'm at, given it's February. At the dome each of the last 4 days with full swing and wedge work, though tonight was only wedges, with chipping and pitching. A couple of tweaks suggested by @dhartmann34 appear to be holding and maybe even getting grooved. Looking forward to getting some time on a course.

That is an Awesome practice plan!

I went to the range today on my way back from a meeting. My iron striking this weekend left a lot to be desired and I wanted to work on that today. I probably shouldn't have.

It was dreadful.

Things got worse the longer I stayed there, so I ended up leaving half the bucket and just walked away.

I have a lesson scheduled for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back