Conestoga Golf Club - Mesquite, NV

Clubhouse

Driving Range

#2 Par 3

#4 Par 4

#10 Par 3

View additional photos here https://goo.gl/photos/cLUL6kzCJ4bdnf8PA

Practice Area:

Driving Range - The driving range is in amazing shape. Each hitting area has a mini staff bag full of golf balls which are included with your green fee. The hitting areas are in immaculate condition. They are very flat and the grass is very crisp to hit off of. It's a full range so you can hit any club. There are plenty of flags to aim for. I did not see any practice bunkers.
Rating - A- because of no bunkers, but the conditions are excellent. *** it's possible I missed seeing a practice bunker on the range***

Putting Green - The putting green and chipping green are one in the same. It is a very large green though. One half has short flags indicating it's the putting side and the other half has tall flags indicating it's the chipping side. The green is in excellent shape. I found the speed to be exactly the same as the course greens. You can find flat, breaking, uphill and downhill putts. You can putt lengths of up to 50 feet for sure.
Rating - A

Chipping Green - There are balls left at the chipping green so you can just grab some and chip. You can find flat, sidehill and uphill lies to chip from. You can also back up away from the green to probably 30 yards for longer pitch shots as well, but be weary of others around the green. I did not see any practice bunkers.
Rating B+ because of no bunker, but conditions are excellent and it's large enough (that's what she said)

Course Conditions:

Tee Boxes - Conditions are excellent and they are flat. There are 5 options:
Black - 7232, 74.9/147
Gold - 6751, 72.8/142
Silver - 6378, 71/139
Copper - 5889, 69.2/128
Jade - 5017, 64.9/120
Rating - A

Fairways - Conditions are excellent. Divots appear to be regularly filled and overall they are well manicured. They are lovely to hit off of. Very crisp.
Rating - A

Rough - Fairly lush and about 2 1/4" deep on average. Not much else to say. Not too penalizing, but if you go beyond the rough you are screwed like most canyon courses.
Rating - A

Sand Traps - They are crunchy and a bit hard. I was able to play a regular sand shot, but you can't take as much sand as I would like to.
Rating - C

Greens - Superb conditions. I'm spoiled at my home course with amazing greens and these equalled them. They are fast and oh so smooth. They roll true. One of the highlights of the course for me (more to come on that). Not too many unfixed ball marks (they give you a free divot tool at the first tee).
Rating - A+

Layout:
The design and layout of the course were a major highlight for me. I think they did something very smart with the design of this course. They made it very playable off the tee for a canyon style course. I found the fairways were pretty forgiving. As a comparison to another course in that area, Wolf Creek, I found them to be a little more playable then at that course. What I really like is the design of the greens. I would say they are medium in size. The greens have pockets jutting out around them that allow for some cool pin placements. Some can be very challenging. The greens don't have massive level changes in them but there are some. With the conditions of the greens, the size and design I found them to be the highlight of the course design for me. Taking into consideration the forgiving tee shots and the wonderful design of the greens I think this made for an amazing combination. For your average 20+ capper you can rip it off the tee and still be in play. For the more skilled golfer you will get a challenge from the greens. In a nutshell the combo of fairway forgiveness with the challenging and immaculately conditioned greens makes it darn near perfect I'd say.

There are a few drastic elevation changes on this course. Compared to Wolf Creek there are less elevation changes and they are a bit more subtle.

Coming off a 6 month winter layoff I always play one tee up when I do a spring golf trip. I normally play 6800 yards and dropped back to the Silver tees for this course. I found the silver to be a little too short for my liking but that has nothing to do with the course. I would love to go back and play the gold's especially if I'm i in good golfing form. With the 5 tee box options you will not have any trouble finding a suitable, fair and challenging option.
Rating - A

Pace of Play:
I took us 4:20 to play. I was paired with another single and a twosome. This is pretty average I would say. Canyon courses can get a little slow with lots of picture taking so I thought this was pretty decent. I saw the marshall on the front nine and the back nine. The scorecard states you should be no longer than 4:30 to play.
Rating - B+

Price:
The price range for prime A.M times were $116 to $165 which includes cart. I used teeoff.com to get a great deal. I found a 9:20am time for $99. I also found a teeoff.com coupon code for 20% off as well so for the price I paid it was pretty unreal for that course. The regular prices are a little cheaper than Wolf Creek. I'm using Wolf Creek as it's considered the top dog in Mesquite.
Rating - A, Compared to Wolf Creek and Sand Hollow (another premiere course in the area) it falls in between for price. I'm not really sure how to rate pricing. I think it's sort of subjective to everyone. For the quality of course and the price I paid in this instance I can't give it anything less then an A. Even at regular pricing compared to other courses in Mesquite that are not as nice, Conestoga is not much more.

Amenities:
I don't have as much detail on these but will provide what I can. We ran into a cart person 3 times during our round. Pretty good IMO. There is a bathroom on the front and back nine. They are both very nice and adequately equipped (not dinky little out houses at all). I did not have the chance to view the locker rooms. I also did not have time to eat at the restaurant. It's called the 1880 Grille. It sounds pretty decent from the info on the website.
Rating - A, based on the course bathrooms and cart frequency.

Overall:
As soon as I walked up to the course I was greeted by someone. I was asked for my name and he checked his list. He took my bag and strapped it onto the cart. He then explained the range and putting/chipping green setup and pointed them out for me. The flow is very well setup. Range to chipping/putting green and then to #1 tee. Great organization.

The starter was very friendly. We chatted for a few minutes and then when the others joined he went through the explanation of the course. He covered bathroom locations, pin sheet, blind shots and lateral rules. Basically don't go into he desert area looking for you ball. It's considered a lateral drop and there are drop locations marked on the yardage card. The yardage card (not the score card) is in each cart. The pin sheet is also permanently mounted in the cart as well. The yardage card was extremely helpful. He also gave us a complimentary divot tool.

The power carts have auto brake locking. They have two divot repair bottles. They have a cooler with two bottles of water. Unfortunately they don't have a gps.

Overall I loved this course. My only two knocks against it are the sand traps and no gps in the cart. The range is pretty darn good. The layout and conditions are great. The greens are spectacular. There are some very picturesque holes. The pricing is reasonable. When I take those things into consideration I think I might actually rate it equal with Wolf Creek because it's a little more playable yet still challenging and deals can be found online. It's not quite as picturesque as Wolf Creek. It is a little cheaper though and the pace was faster. I would go back in a heart beat.

My overall rating is an A.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Good review, love the look of a desert golf course.

Nice review. Beautiful and fun looking course.

I think Conestoga is s Troon property. Conditions are usually top notch at those facilities.
I have been trying to get there - thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mini wolf creek. I went there to hit balls b4 I played wolf creek. Mesquite does have a few nice courses. Thinking of going there for a night next March and play some golf. Conditions look very nice

Very nice looking course and great review.

Really nice looking course.

I think Conestoga is s Troon property. Conditions are usually top notch at those facilities.
I have been trying to get there - thanks for the review.

It is indeed a Troon property.

I played there about 4 years ago. A really nice course. Was Troon managed when I played.

Fantastic write up and pictures!

Great write up. I love Conestoga GC. I always tell people that if Wolf Creek is #1 then Conestoga is #1A. Honestly, if I had a choice between the two, I'd go with Conestoga. My favorite hole is #4.

Excellent write up, very informative! Looks like a great course, and sounds like you had a great time. Next time I'm out that way I'll keep this course in mind.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Nice review. I've never played played desert golf. It looks beautiful! This might be a great place to start!

Great write up. I love Conestoga GC. I always tell people that if Wolf Creek is #1 then Conestoga is #1A. Honestly, if I had a choice between the two, I'd go with Conestoga. My favorite hole is #4.

That's funny. The 4th was my favourite hole as well.

Next time I am in Vegas, I will have to play this one. Knocked Wolf Creek out on my last trip, but this one looks awesome as well

Next time I am in Vegas, I will have to play this one. Knocked Wolf Creek out on my last trip, but this one looks awesome as well
Next time you come out let me know...Conestoga and Coyote Springs.

Back