PXG Darkness Driver Preview

The DARKNESS logo looks it was photoshopped on the sole and it took me three looks to see what you all were talking about. It just looked like the regular weighting ports on PXG clubs to me (which is bizarre to my eye anyway).

I love the look of the irons and wedges, this not so much.

The driver sole looks stupid.

There ya go, its been said time and time again.

However, I want to freaking hit it. For that much coin, it better perform. If not, hello failure! XXIO is prime time dollar for a driver, so this one BETTER freaking bomb 'em.

Now how in the hell did they get the beans above the frank?!?!

Curious to see if this makes its way into their staffers bags, seemed like a few played very well last week. Regardless, it quite the interesting package, if you will. (Sorry Howzat, I know not what I do)

Some buy a fast car others a PXG driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some buy a fast car others a PXG driver

This driver is the equivalent of a jacked up F350 diesel driven by someone who has never seen a dirt road

With TruckNutz

(Sorry howzat)

I'd like to hit it just to see what it can do. I don't think I'll get the chance, but I'll be looking forward to hearing any reviews on any of these clubs.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Sorry to skim, has it been said if they will be a the PGA show?

While what is seen cannot be unseen, I'd probably be interested in giving this a few swings. The design team at PXG has made a lot of clubs I've liked in the past, coming from PING, so I'm intrigued by these designs. At the same time, if this is priced anywhere in line with the other stuff, it's a non-starter in terms of going in the bag.

It's an interesting driver for sure, I'm sure with the correct shaft options people can really get it dialed in... with the weighting done correctly, would love to see it compared on flightscope or something along with XXIO prime and any other premium priced driver.

Found a early mock up of the sole

bananas_for_two.jpg

It's Schlong off the tee

I hope we can get some more info or someone to actually hit this club so we can get beyond the grade school humor.
apparently not

I'd love to hit this one, or any pxg club. They'll never be in my price range, but I like the look

While what is seen cannot be unseen, I'd probably be interested in giving this a few swings. The design team at PXG has made a lot of clubs I've liked in the past, coming from PING, so I'm intrigued by these designs. At the same time, if this is priced anywhere in line with the other stuff, it's a non-starter in terms of going in the bag.

This is kind of where I am at. The pieces are in place for them to make some really good equipment

This is kind of where I am at. The pieces are in place for them to make some really good equipment

I'd like to spend some time with the line(s) too, they really do intrigue me, even if the price terrifies me.

I have a genuine question here.
What makes people so "into" PXG and not into XXIO?
Similar cost.
One has a pedigree already on multiple tours (its not PXG).

The only thing I can figure out is that they signed a bunch of PGA Tour players.
Because outside of that, XXIO was already making very high end equipment, and doing it in all areas (meaning creating their own shafts too) and its either skipped over or the comments are "too expensive".

I ask genuinely because for the life of me I cant figure this out.

I feel better about XXIO than I do about PXG, although most of the XXIO talk around here is with clubs that suit the higher launch needers of the golfing world. Hard to drive my interest there.

Similar cost.

The only thing I can figure out is that they signed a bunch of PGA Tour players.
Because outside of that, XXIO was already making very high end equipment, and doing it in all areas (meaning creating their own shafts too) and its either skipped over or the comments are "too expensive".

I love this question. I think it's very valid. I for one am more interested in XXIO because of my love for their sister brands. But the point is taken.

Similar cost.

I must be an outlier. I have zero interest in PXG.

I guess my thought would be name recognition. That's probably it.

Similar cost.

Honestly, I'm just as excited (if not more) when it comes to the wood line from XXIO. I loved the swings I took with the prime and the 9.

I think for irons, the profile of the 0311 is probably a little closer to what people prefer here than XXIO. I'm likely going to a more forgiving iron if I switch anything this year, and I didn't even ask to hit the XXIO in my fitting for fear of it performing the best. 6-PW in those is something like $1000.

Similar cost.

Two things I think.

With PXG, you can see that they're something radically different. Nobody else has screws visible in their clubs.

Second, their approach to tech is a little easier to understand. XXIO's story is a swing robot writ large--they use supercomputers to digitally model everything about the golfer, the club, the swing, and the ball. Nobody really gets that. What's easier to get is Bob Parsons' approach: get a bunch of PING engineers, write them a blank check, and tell them to make the best golf clubs ever, ignoring price.

Plus for some people, I think it's tough to buy into a tire company selling high-priced clubs in Japan. Not saying that's what XXIO is, but it's easy to perceive them that way.

Easier to understand the GoDaddy guy making clubs than one of the largest material companies in the world?
Hmmmm. Yeah I dont buy that part of it.
Thats like saying nobody would buy Titleist because previously they were a liquor company and now they are an average apparel company

Back