The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less public outrage.

It was a publicity stunt last week, the NFL had a hell of a week, before this came out, I wouldn't doubt if Goodell was involved trying to save face, even if behind the scenes.

Flat out wrong.

Flat out wrong.

I never said that's what happened. I didn't mean to mean that anyways.

Maybe I should have said it wouldn't surprise me to find out.

Regardless it was still a publicity stunt.

maybe i missed something... what is different today than last week, other than only scoring 7 points yesterday?

Time. People have had time to look at the situation and make a decision about the best course of action. I don't quite understand why people are so against letting the legal process conclude before punishing someone.

Time. People have had time to look at the situation and make a decision about the best course of action. I don't quite understand why people are so against letting the legal process conclude before punishing someone.

I do agree that everybody has the right to a fair trial. But to think that I have to watch Greg Hardy play football while he appeals his conviction is gross. If Peterson plays, then so be it. He whipped a child that he fathered. Karma will get him. Like I said earlier, the ovation he will get in Minnesota will make me sick. I don't wish injury on any player, but that guy has some awful karma heading his way.

It takes time to research and perhaps they did just that. Right or wrong, its always a bad idea to make a snap judgement. Deactivating a player while you research the crime seems fairly normal in this odd sports world.

I think deactivating him immediately while talking things over was the right thing to do. Do I think they would have done that if it wasn't for all the other stuff going on, I'm not sure. But I like that they sat him down for the week before figuring out a path to go forward.

I do agree that everybody has the right to a fair trial. But to think that I have to watch Greg Hardy play football while he appeals his conviction is gross. If Peterson plays, then so be it. He whipped a child that he fathered. Karma will get him. Like I said earlier, the ovation he will get in Minnesota will make me sick. I don't wish injury on any player, but that guy has some awful karma heading his way.

Honest question. Did it bother you that the Packers did not release Chmura for 2 months after the charges?

I think deactivating him immediately while talking things over was the right thing to do. Do I think they would have done that if it wasn't for all the other stuff going on, I'm not sure. But I like that they sat him down for the week before figuring out a path to go forward.

Im with you completely. I wish every team did this. Get in trouble, sit until we figure this out.

I suppose the Vikings figured that by activating a surefire Hall of Famer, and their biggest financial investment, it was the safer financial decision than keeping him inactivated.

People just need to learn to stomach that this is all about the almighty dollar.

I honestly don't know what I think about the NFL any longer. I am a Jets fan, which tells you that I don't expect much ... seeing as they have not won a Super Bowl since I've been alive. Some teams have their stuff together and operate in a way that makes good common sense, and seems to reflect a level of cognizance that the team represents the city that supports them and they take that civic duty seriously. Other teams are dumpster fires, run by owners and management that don't deserve to run a lemonade stand let alone an NFL team.

Greg Hardy sat last week.

But that situation is confusing, since he's already been convicted. I'd put money on that if the Ray Rice deal hadn't happened Hardy probably wouldn't have seen much in the way of suspension.

Honest question. Did it bother you that the Packers did not release Chmura for 2 months after the charges?

Honest answer - I don't remember. I think I was 13 or 14. somewhere around that age. Maybe a touch older. I remember it made me feel uneasy, but beyond that, no clue. I know how the 2014 version of me would feel, but that is besides the point.

Greg Hardy sat last week.

But that situation is confusing, since he's already been convicted. I'd put money on that if the Ray Rice deal hadn't happened Hardy probably wouldn't have seen much in the way of suspension.

I know. And that is disgusting to me.

Now that you have kids and a wife it's probably different as well.

I know a few people who've had their perspectives change because of that.

I think it's easy to be upset bc it's human nature. At the end of the day we have to realize that the NFL is huge for these owners portfolios and they want to maximize the return on their investment. So they let the commissioner dole out punishment per case and live with it even if they know the action/crime deserved way more.

That's why the ravens were ok with two games, that's why Carolina was waiting on the final punishment for Hardy (maybe even waiting for the commissioner to act) & that's why AP will play this week.

This thread is exhausting.... I've got to roll out for a while

Mark Ingram out for a month.

I understand how you feel, I truly do. At the same time I know that I wouldn't want people to judge me based on 5 minutes of my life when I made a poor decision. It's one thing to be a habitual abuser and quite another to make a poor decision in a split second.

Mark Ingram out for a month.

Saw that. Broken hand. Looks like Charles has a high ankle sprain & who knows how that turns out

I understand how you feel, I truly do. At the same time I know that I wouldn't want people to judge me based on 5 minutes of my life when I made a poor decision. It's one thing to be a habitual abuser and quite another to make a poor decision in a split second.

Except the extent and type of damage Adrian did to his son doesn't seem like a "in the heat of the moment" type of action. That's a snap judgement on my part I understand. But to whip a four year old from his back to his feet shows a person with personality trait that I would not associate with

All my beatings where over with in a few seconds, I can't think of one that was much over a minute.

Except the extent and type of damage Adrian did to his son doesn't seem like a "in the heat of the moment" type of action. That's a snap judgement on my part I understand. But to whip a four year old from his back to his feet shows a person with personality trait that I would not associate with

I'm not excusing what he did at all, but can you honestly say you've never done something where afterwards you went "Crap why did I do that?"

I don't know exactly what happened between Adrian and his son that got him to the point where he did what he did. So I'm not going to make a judgement of whether it was heat of the moment or not. I just know that there have been times in my life where I did something and realized that afterwards I probably went a little too far.

I'm not excusing what he did at all, but can you honestly say you've never done something where afterwards you went "Crap why did I do that?"

I don't know exactly what happened between Adrian and his son that got him to the point where he did what he did. So I'm not going to make a judgement of whether it was heat of the moment or not. I just know that there have been times in my life where I did something and realized that afterwards I probably went a little too far.

I can say I never physically abused ANYONE especially not my 2 year old daughter. Thats not a mistake. Thats a crime. There is a line between discipline and abuse and he leaped right across it.

The one thing I haven't seen/heard from anywhere and most likely missed it, but didn't Adrian Peterson suffer the loss of his toddler last year from being assaulted by his exes boyfriend (I don't remember the specifics)?? You'd think he would be against violence towards kids in any way/shape/form. It just doesn't make sense...??

I can say I never physically abused ANYONE especially not my 2 year old daughter. Thats not a mistake. Thats a crime. There is a line between discipline and abuse and he leaped right across it.

So do you think he deserves his day in court?

I'm going to preference this by saying that I do not excuse AP for what he did. Remember that at the end of my post.

The question that arises is how was AP brought up? My wife talks about having to pick out her own switch, and so I guess in the south this is pretty common. Was he applying the "lessons" he learned from his parents while he was growing up? It's quite possible that he saw that parenting and said "Hey, it worked for me, it'll work for my kids too." When you factor in that parents are given little to nil parenting lessons (especially when it appears that AP was fairly removed from the whole situation to begin with), and it's possible that he saw this as acceptable.

Where this fails, IMO, is that he's an NFL player and I'm sure the NFL has had plenty of in-services talking about how they need to interact with people outside the NFL. He's a guy who crushes grown men for a living. He needs to understand his power and the effects it can have ... including on a four year old.

I have a feeling it'll go to trial (only if the DA wants to make a name for themselves) but regardless, AP won't see any jail time. He'll undergo some serious counseling and parental education (may even have his parental rights terminated) but I don't think he'll see the inside of a jail.

So do you think he deserves his day in court?

Absolutely he deserves his day in court. Until that time comes he should be suspended with pay. Same goes for any player that gets into legal trouble in the NFL. Suspended with pay. Found guilty, suspended without pay and that teams does not get to activate a player. They lose a roster spot until the suspension is over or the end of the season.

Was reading up on more details on this. AP was very forthcoming. I think it was the 2nd time he doled it out on this poor kid during the visit. Don't think this was an "oh crap" moment.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back