My 7i hates me...

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Hit the range to see if I can work on some stuff I noticed I was doing in the round I played with my son the other day.

Was cruising along with my Driver, SW, PW, 9i and 5h and was trying something I read about here on the practice thread about playing the course at the range. My Driver was a little off, but the other clubs were doing okay. Until I pulled out the 7i. I could not hit that club worth a damn. Topping it. Thinning it. Hitting it 50 yards. I got frustrated so I stopped and took a rest for about 10 minutes.

I then took a huge step back and started practicing with eighth swings and short follow throughs. After about 15 balls of solid striking, I lengthened both my back swing and follow through. By the time I was done with all the balls I had progressed to about half swing back and half swing forth, but WOW, that little ball was rocketing off the face! Travelling further than I ever got the 7i to go since I started up again.

Felt really good to have a glitch, figure it out and then work my way through it. My next range session will be Saturday and hopefully my muscle memory will last until then. I know my brain memory won't, LOL!

I absolutely abhor by 7 iron. It sucks because it's my 150 yard club, which tends to be where I leave myself on a lot of holes, but right now... I have ZERO confidence with that club in my hand. I can be hitting every other club in my bag on point, and that one will have a mind of its own. I typically play a fade with most of my irons. 4 iron, 5 iron and 6 iron will be a sizable fade in most instances... 8 iron, 9 iron and some of my wedges will be a smaller fade. My 7 iron, though... is a ridiculous all-out slice that can also fly either 30 yards short or 30 yards long.

Through 3 rounds last weekend, I'm pretty sure I didn't hit one serviceable 7 iron.

:banghead:

My 7 iron is my go to club. I'll hit it when another club makes more sense just because I'm more confident I'll get a good result.

My 7i is a fun club. I hit full shots, 100-yard pitches, knockdowns, punches. See "Tin Cup":

I think I would have it's loft and lie checked to make sure it isn't different from your other irons! Just a thought...

I think I would have it's loft and lie checked to make sure it isn't different from your other irons! Just a thought...

It's a POS Top Flite beginner's set I got at Dick's for $180 for the whole kit and kaboodle. I wouldn't be surprised LOL.

I just got a 7i Wilshon 771 with a Matrix Kujoh shaft. It is great! It's better than any other 7i I've hit. High, good distance and very, very easy to hit. I may have to get more Wilshon irons!

My 7i is a fun club. I hit full shots, 100-yard pitches, knockdowns, punches. See "Tin Cup":

LOL my favorite part of that moive, 7I is my go to club. I read a article years ago that if you can hit your 7I 150 yds
straight, chip and putt good, you can shoot 90s everyday using only your 7I.

sounds like your 7 iron loves you! You've been putting all this extra work in with it... hitting it gives it purpose... makes it happy

Hit the range to see if I can work on some stuff I noticed I was doing in the round I played with my son the other day.

Was cruising along with my Driver, SW, PW, 9i and 5h and was trying something I read about here on the practice thread about playing the course at the range. My Driver was a little off, but the other clubs were doing okay. Until I pulled out the 7i. I could not hit that club worth a damn. Topping it. Thinning it. Hitting it 50 yards. I got frustrated so I stopped and took a rest for about 10 minutes.

I then took a huge step back and started practicing with eighth swings and short follow throughs. After about 15 balls of solid striking, I lengthened both my back swing and follow through. By the time I was done with all the balls I had progressed to about half swing back and half swing forth, but WOW, that little ball was rocketing off the face! Travelling further than I ever got the 7i to go since I started up again.

Felt really good to have a glitch, figure it out and then work my way through it. My next range session will be Saturday and hopefully my muscle memory will last until then. I know my brain memory won't, LOL!

Glad you got that feeling! My iron's improved 10fold this season - and it started with "easing and smoothing" the transition at the top of my backswing. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but sounds very similar to your recent discovery. It "feels" like I'm not swinging as hard because my backswing is a bit slower, and there is almost a moment of zero-movement before the downswing. The ball just fires off the face every time - and mishits are far less damaging

Glad you got that feeling! My iron's improved 10fold this season - and it started with "easing and smoothing" the transition at the top of my backswing. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but sounds very similar to your recent discovery. It "feels" like I'm not swinging as hard because my backswing is a bit slower, and there is almost a moment of zero-movement before the downswing. The ball just fires off the face every time - and mishits are far less damaging

Thanks! Every time I really feel that I can't get a handle on my swing, and start hitting fat and thin shots, I go back to this vid and start all over again.

Try having a fully stretched left arm at the top of the backswing and a fully stretched right arm at impact. Have a quiet body (no lifting or crouching). This should allow you consistency with your clubs at impact. This is because you simply return your hands to the address position at impact.

Back