Google Wallet, SoftCard, ApplePay

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Google Wallet has been around for some time now. SoftCard(formerly known as ISIS) and now ApplePay are also out there as modes to use your cell phone to pay at checkout. Anyone use their cell phone to pay for items at the store? If so, what do you use, and what do you like about it? Any issues, tips, or tricks we should know about?

Google Wallet

SoftCard

ApplePay

Not sure I will ever use this (actually moving strongly back towards a cash-only system). Will comment though on how unfortunate it was for SoftCard to be named Isis Wallet. They actually rebranded because of the terror group.

I'll be using applepay when I can. Not a ton of places I normally shop have the terminals yet.

I use levelup for some things and I also use google wallet a little bit.

I love it, I think the systems we have here with the magnetic strips are so far behind times it's not even funny. I'm not sure if this is the best way to move forward but I think it's a step in the right direction.

whenever I upgrade my phone not sure I'll even use it. Cool feature but I already have a card holder on my phone for driver license and debit card. Easy enough to remove card and swipe. I know of no retailers or places that use the Apple Pay or any of the other systems yet anyways. Not exactly a key feature for me when I decide to upgrade.

I use Google Wallet to tap to pay when I can....I live in a smaller city so not a lot of places have the terminals to accept payments this way, but I do really like it.

I would use it until someone figures out a way to steal your info like they do with the magnetic strip. Right now I always panic whenever I go to a gas station or ATM that I'm gonna get compromised.

I like the idea of the convenience but I don't trust the gadgets. With the recent data breaches I just don't feel comfortable.

for what it's worth, the recent data breeches I think you're referring to were compromises that resulted in the exposure of hundreds of thousands of customer records, including credit card numbers, names, and addresses. In some cases even SSNs. Something like Google Wallet or Apple pay actually serves to protect you against breeches like that, because you never give up your actual account information. They send one-time-use numbers that immediately become invalid once the charge is processed. Assuming that you protect your phone physically and use a secure PIN/password on the phone and a strong password in the payment app, this is actually a lot more secure than using credit cards directly.

That said... nothing is completely secure. As a security professional, I find the best way to combat identity thieves is to limit my exposure. I use one card for everything and continuously monitor its activity. If/when something ever happens I will simply switch to a different card while that one is being replaced. Cash is even better than that, if you are comfortable carrying it.

Thanks for the explanation baldguy I didn't know any of that. You make a good case for it's use and if it is in fact that safe I may give it a go, I hate carrying a thick wallet with cards in it.

Is this going to be a VHS vs. Beta thing where we are going to need to wait for a winner?

The US is about 10 years behind the rest of the world with credit card technology. Luckily next year the US will be changing to chip and pin technology meaning every credit card will be replaced and retailers will be getting new equipment. Apples timing is certainly related to this switchover and I'm guessing in 12 months we will all be able to use ApplePay at a majority of the places we spend money.

Is this going to be a VHS vs. Beta thing where we are going to need to wait for a winner?
No. NFC is a standard protocol the only difference is how the transaction is sent to your bank. It's basically like Visa vs Matercard. The retailer will just need to choose to accept it.

No. NFC is a standard protocol the only difference is how the transaction is sent to your bank. It's basically like Visa vs Matercard. The retailer will just need to choose to accept it.

exactly. I would add that there may be a bit of a battle for territory, as in a retailer might get a preferred rate if they agree not to accept the other one, things like that. we'll see.

oh and re: the chip/pin versus mag strip thing - even in countries where chip/pin is the norm, every payment point I've come across also accepts the mag strip. The chip/pin thing has been tried here already a couple of different times and it didn't take off. I hope it does this go round, but I'm not expecting it to just yet. It's not really a big enough advance in security to warrant the cost of implementation. I think there are other technologies with more promise of adoption. The "smart wallet" idea, while not exactly my favorite, has profit directly tied to its implementation (as opposed to chip/pin where nobody makes any more money than before). I think it might be the next big push.

As I stated in the Iphone6 thread I think this might take time to take off. Security even though encrpyted and supposed safety with all of the leaks, hacks, and mishaps lately I think people will be scared to put their trust in giving Apple, Google, or anyone not thier bank the info. I hope it takes off and I have used NFC payments here at my work, the coffee shop in the lobby takes GoogleWallet and ISIS(Softpay). They also have a rewards program setup for it.

NFC is nothing new to the US, either. it has been in use in many industries, including the payment card industry, for several years. it's only just getting major publicity right now because the big players have decided to jump in.

I'll definitely be using it once I upgrade and the facility is there. I'm already used to using my card to make contactless payments back home where you just hold the card in front if the reader to make a payment, don't see how this will be any different or any less secure. Signing a slip to pay for stuff, especially when the signature is never checked, is both outdated and as unsecure as you can get.

As I stated in the Iphone6 thread I think this might take time to take off. Security even though encrpyted and supposed safety with all of the leaks, hacks, and mishaps lately I think people will be scared to put their trust in giving Apple, Google, or anyone not thier bank the info. I hope it takes off and I have used NFC payments here at my work, the coffee shop in the lobby takes GoogleWallet and ISIS(Softpay). They also have a rewards program setup for it.

It will certainly take a few years at least to become a common form of payment, but anyone can make this work it's Apple. They already have 850,000,000 credit cards on file through iTunes.

It will certainly take a few years at least to become a common form of payment, but anyone can make this work it's Apple. They already have 850,000,000 credit cards on file through iTunes.

I agree and this will make Google step their game up with their GoogleWallet. Will Applepay be like GW with adding gift cards and everything so you dont have to carry them with you?

Just a quick note of correction... up thread I said that I hadn't encounter chip+pin locations that didn't accept striped cards. Now I have. So far I have not been able to use my corporate Amex anywhere in the Netherlands.

I remember using Google wallet because they offered $10 to sign up. Only place that took it was Cumberland Farms Gas so, six-pack it was... I do like PayPal and not having to give up my card number to every single merchant( cash only ), but let's be realistic, POS transactions seem too easy to scam. Look at Home Depot's latest hack of tyhe self check out lanes. If someone can plant a reader in a card strip machine, how much easier would it be to plant something nearby reading NFC communications?

I used SoftCard this morning at CVS. First time I have actually used it. Was really simple too. The lady at the register said she has never seen anyone do that before, she was quite interested in it.

Back