New Driver, new shaft help

Tmdavis07

Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a new driver. I've been playing the Titleist 905R 9.5 degree with an Aldila NV 85X shaft since the 905R was released. I have always hit the ball fairly high and found that the Aldila shaft helped keep the ball flight down. I like a lower, boring flight over a higher ball. I feel like it is time to upgrade with some newer technology but with all of the shaft options i don't know where to start. The club head will not be a hard decision for me since I prefer a head that sets up well to the ball and has a harder feeling off the face. I have tried stock shafts, upgraded shafts and custom shaft options such as the Fujikura Speeder 757 X flex.

With that being said, I am just lost with where to start with shaft options for a driver. Is it absolutely necessary to spend the money on an upgraded/custom shaft if there is other options from the factory?

Also, I have never messed with adjustable drivers such as loft/lie/weight. Is this something to consider with shaft options, or just stick with the fixed shaft/head combo?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Trace

When it comes to shafts JMan said it best, "the shaft is the most over thought item in golf". At club clash I tested a driver with a regular shaft and stiff shaft...I got similar distance. But the stiff flex "felt" better.

I am sure people will disagree with this statement but I believe most people would be much better using the money spent on aftermarket shafts on lessons.

Since it appears you keep drivers for some time why not go to a fitter and let them work their magic. You are going to drive yourself crazy considering all the shaft options out there.

On a side note you should check out the Mizuno JPX-EZ. (The driver that kicked my Titleist 915d2 out of the bag).

You can thank me in future posts.

Most stock shafts are excellent these days. I would checkout some tip stiff high flex poin shafts with low spin head. How well do you hit your current set up?

Demo a Ping G30 Ls in x flex, they are on the bay for reasonable prices, that may match the costs to reshaft

the one thing that I have learned with drivers is that Ive become a lot better since I jacked up the loft on my driver.

When it comes to shafts JMan said it best, "the shaft is the most over thought item in golf". At club clash I tested a driver with a regular shaft and stiff shaft...I got similar distance. But the stiff flex "felt" better.

I am sure people will disagree with this statement but I believe most people would be much better using the money spent on aftermarket shafts on lessons.

Since it appears you keep drivers for some time why not go to a fitter and let them work their magic. You are going to drive yourself crazy considering all the shaft options out there.

On a side note you should check out the Mizuno JPX-EZ. (The driver that kicked my Titleist 915d2 out of the bag).

You can thank me in future posts.

Thanks for your input, I will try the Mizuno. I have demoed several new drivers and can tell a huge difference already.

Most stock shafts are excellent these days. I would checkout some tip stiff high flex poin shafts with low spin head. How well do you hit your current set up?

I will do that. I have been use to the setup with the bore through high kick point setup in my current driver. I almost hate to mess with what has been working for so long. But, it is time to upgrade with some newer technology. To answer your question, I played last Sunday and swung my driver 8 times and missed the fairway once. The whole course was backed up for most of the day, my group and I were playing the back tees and I hit one ball for fun off the tee on a par 4 dog leg left over water. Ended up hitting it over the green a little ways. I asked a guy in the group to shoot the yardage with his range finder and he got 325 to the pin. The point is, why change what works? But if there is some more to be had, why not take advantage of it. I have noticed these newer drivers are more forgiving, easier to hit, and longer. It is just so hard to decide what shaft, since there are so many out there. I don't mind spending the money on a good shaft, just want to make sure I get the best setup.

Go for a fitting.

There are so many good options out there right now as far as heads go. Accuracy wise I really like the Titleist 915 paired with an Aldila Rogue silver 70g x flex shaft. low spin, low to mid launch... very easy to work and control. Distance wise the Taylormade M1 is a beast. Its probably the longest driver I've tried to date. But the Ping G wasn't far behind it.

There are so many good options out there right now as far as heads go. Accuracy wise I really like the Titleist 915 paired with an Aldila Rogue silver 70g x flex shaft. low spin, low to mid launch... very easy to work and control. Distance wise the Taylormade M1 is a beast. Its probably the longest driver I've tried to date. But the Ping G wasn't far behind it.

Thanks for the info, I have noticed that a lot of newer shaft(s) weight are around the 70ish gram weight. I would like to see how they compare with distance and control over my 88 gram weight shaft.

I agree with Scrap Iron on the getting fitted suggestion if you can. I was dead set on a certain profile of shaft with a 9.5 deg head forever, and a good pro with Flightscope at his disposal really opened my eyes. Feel is one thing, but results are another. It took some getting used to but what he fit me in to has knocked multiple strokes off my game.

X2 on the rogue silver. I would still go to a reputable fitter or 2 along with your own testing.

Thanks for the info, I have noticed that a lot of newer shaft(s) weight are around the 70ish gram weight. I would like to see how they compare with distance and control over my 88 gram weight shaft.

Heads have gotten lighter and faster since the 905R. No need for a heavy shaft. 70 is the new 80. lol

Even alot of the 120+mph clubhead speed guys have lightened up.

I greatly appreciate all of the help and feedback! I will take the advice and get fitted. I'll keep everyone updated on what transpires.

Went to Club Champion for just a driver fitting after seeing their ad in Golf magazine. They have a website that describes the process. I think it was money well spent even though I didn't buy the club they recommended. I was able to figure the best shaft for me by seeing results on the launch monitor. Stock shafts have greatly improved but upgraded shafts did improve my numbers. My current Callaway RAZR Fit driver with a Callaway R stock shaft seemed to be losing yardage while still hitting fairways after 2 yrs.Not sure if it was me or the club,my questions were answered. The new XR16 with an Oban 55g shaft gave me 20 +yards, less spin with a bit more club head speed. It took the guess work out of picking a shaft head combo. I went from testing a 65g to the 55g that worked for me. The fitter explained how mass produced stock shafts can vary in weight and stiffness. With the price of a new high quality driver, a quality shaft seems worth the upgrade.

Thanks for the info John. I have found a couple of drivers that I want to demo and get fitted for. I will give updates as soon as a decision is made.

Back