Bargain clubs that become bag standouts?

Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
I had a hole at the top of my bag making the swing from 4 iron to my Callaway 816 BB 16°.
So I was looking for a high lofted fairway wood and some kind of hybrid. I stumbled upon a bucket of clubs at a NJ driving range that they had just put out. One was a Cobra Fly Z 5-7 with a RED TIE s flex, and another was a 4-22° Taylormade Slider hybrid in a stock S flex. Paid $25 a piece and both were in excellent shape.
Both clubs slid seamlessly into place and from the first swing both were easy to hit and comfort was near immediate.
I thought it would have been a long process to fill these spots but did it in 5 min and for $50.

Anyone else fill thier bag with oddball,,, (let me clarify,,, out of the norm for me,,,,) superstars?

Last edited:
I wouldn't really call either the Fly-z or SLDR an oddball superstar. Both were the top line of their respective companies when they were released. great snag for those prices, but not really oddball.

Never been quite that lucky but I do love the Callaway V-Series Heaven wood, it gaps very nicely from my 5I to my 5W. I can get different yardages by choking down or up on the shaft. I have hit it well from day one and it has become my favorite club. I got it for $85 late last year, I think.

Wow great price on both clubs, but don't know if I would call them margin clubs, you just found a great price.

Well when I say odd ball I meant more of out of the norm for me. I wouldn't have looked for either one had they not been in the barrel.

I just picked up a Adams Blue for $49 (with trade) with their Blue line blow out sale. I don't have a need for driver now. But the way Tadashi was raving about it last year, I figured it can't hurt to see what if does.

Bought a cobra Long Tom 2 wood 12.5 degree, tweaked and replaced the shaft with a tour green, it was my savior all last season, a fairway finder when my driving was atrocious. Certainly was worth the effort shipped from Australia of all places.

As for a bargain, I found a 60 degree volkey wedge with ladies flex graphite shaft for $15 that's now in my fiancee's bag.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

A few years back I bought a putter (Odyssey Metal-X 7) that was originally a long putter, but since those were going out of style due to the new rules, the shop had cut it down to normal length and stuck a new shaft and grip on it. The head is 400g which felt different. I picked it up off the rack and made a RIDICULOUS amount of putts with it on the practice green that day. Rambler said you can't leave here without it and I didn't. I think I paid something like $45 for it. Hasn't left my bag yet. It's a bargain keeper!

I had a hole at the top of my bag making the swing from 4 iron to my Callaway 816 BB 16°.
So I was looking for a high lofted fairway wood and some kind of hybrid. I stumbled upon a bucket of clubs at a NJ driving range that they had just put out. One was a Cobra Fly Z 5-7 with a RED TIE s flex, and another was a 4-22° Taylormade Slider hybrid in a stock S flex. Paid $25 a piece and both were in excellent shape.
Both clubs slid seamlessly into place and from the first swing both were easy to hit and comfort was near immediate.
I thought it would have been a long process to fill these spots but did it in 5 min and for $50.

Anyone else fill thier bag with oddball,,, (let me clarify,,, out of the norm for me,,,,) superstars?

A few years back I bought a putter (Odyssey Metal-X 7) that was originally a long putter, but since those were going out of style due to the new rules, the shop had cut it down to normal length and stuck a new shaft and grip on it. The head is 400g which felt different. I picked it up off the rack and made a RIDICULOUS amount of putts with it on the practice green that day. Rambler said you can't leave here without it and I didn't. I think I paid something like $45 for it. Hasn't left my bag yet. It's a bargain keeper!
That's a great score.

Bought a 4h 22^ jet speed for $49 added a cheap shaft for $60.

Just bought a 5h 25^ Jet speed for $49. Prolly get the same shaft.

Not bad for 3 year old. clubs.

And i I still I have a pro staff 3w from 20 years ago that I still use at times. It's bent slightly which causes a huge slice. It has its purposes.

Paid $14 shipped for a circa 2006 Cleveland Launcher 7 wood about 3 years ago and it still finds it's way into the bag quite often.

I have about $100 total into my 3, 4, and 5 Exotics Trilogy hybrids. Longest tenured clubs in my bag going on about 4-5 seasons now. Arguably the mvp's of my bag.

$19.99 54* TaylorMade RAC wedge. It was my favorite club for a few years, but was just recently knocked out of the top spot by the Heavenwood.

Found a Ping G5 18 degree 5 wood for $20 at a Golf Galaxy in their used section. So easy to hit.

Year before last I picked up a Titleist 907 D2 out of the used club bin for about $35. It had a Fujikura Vista Tour 60 in it. I had never heard of either. Something about the club just felt right so I bought it and my FW % went from like 60ish to like 85. I gamed it all season. The only issue I had was distance and spin. I only hit it about 5-10 yards farther than my 3W and I got zero roll. Finally swapped it out for the 910 D2 which is giving me much better spin and distance and reasonable FW %...but not near the 907. Later I found out that the 907 is regarded as one of the worst drivers ever - could've fooled me.

I also bought my daughter a Cobra 380SS driver for $10...it's her favorite club...probably the best in her bag.

Picked up a pair of Adams super hybrids, steel version, in 22 and 25 lofts. Got both for $15 and just need to throw a coat of spray paint on the heads. Yardages have been exactly what I was looking for and I'm way more confident with then vs my 4i.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I found set of Ram Accubars irons at a garage sale for $10'and love them.My pro said I'm making a mistake using them but I'm really doing well with those old clunkers.I know it isn't the clubs that are making me a better golfer.But these really feel easy to get the ball in the air for me

I traded my putter for a senior's putter when I was a sophomore. I used it for years, loved it. I still have it but I haven't hit it in years.

Wilson Firestick 1 Iron. Also my Mizuno 3. Very hard to hit, but super rewarding when I do get it.

I got an Adams Tight Lies 3 wood last year for $60. It's been a great club for me.

Bought my Mashie 2 hybrid (18 degrees) from Hurricane Golf for $59 after trying one at a local Dick's, I believe. Loved the 2 so much I bought the 15.5 degree 1 within a week for the same price. Still in the bag, not going anywhere, and very reliable clubs. I hit the 1 between 220 and 245, which is often better than my driver. I actually shelved my driver for a year until I figured out how to be more consistent, because the Mashiue was giving me better results.

went to dallas golf to pick up a wedge I had purchased off ebay and saw a seemore fgp mallet on the used putter row.
i remember seeing many thpers rave about seemores so I decided to try it out. ended up getting it for a steal which started a love affair for this head shape and now i own 2 mfgp2's

Bought my Mashie 2 hybrid (18 degrees) from Hurricane Golf for $59 after trying one at a local Dick's, I believe. Loved the 2 so much I bought the 15.5 degree 1 within a week for the same price. Still in the bag, not going anywhere, and very reliable clubs. I hit the 1 between 220 and 245, which is often better than my driver. I actually shelved my driver for a year until I figured out how to be more consistent, because the Mashiue was giving me better results.

I just bought a Mashie 20.5* about half an hour ago for $20. I'm headed to the range with it as soon as I finish lunch. Hopefully it works for me like it did for you.

I had this happen when I got my J40 hybos. One I got in a trade and the other was $50 and they've been in my bag ever since. Now I think I've found a superior option, but they've been in for a solid 3 years which is impressive for me.

My range session with the $20 Mashie was quite successful. I've tried a ton of hybrids and have never been able to hit any of them even a little bit. I was hitting the Mashie pretty well, though. Hopefully it will translate to the course.

Back