Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

To bad Snedeker has to withdraw from the WGC as he was using this driver very well!

Saw him warm up at the range. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Don't know why he backed out. Haven't checked the interweb

Still pretty mad at myself for not hitting this at KickOffClassic. Will be following Club Clash closely and looking for any and all opinions. Test Drive is a serious ponder possibility as well.

Saw him warm up at the range. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Don't know why he backed out. Haven't checked the interweb

I'm sure everyone knows by now, but they are saying its because of a rib injury. Too bad, I know he was already dealing with this previously.... I like Sneds and enjoy watching him play well.

As for the driver, I am going to check to see if Roger Dunn has these in stock tomorrow... if they do, I may be walking out with one. 90 day return policy is too good to be true.

Bridgestone JGR Driver Preview

So as some of you know I bought a set of JGR HYBRID Irons. I will tell you that while I was getting fit for them, the fitter at the PGATSS told me that the JGR driver was the best $299 driver they had in the store and he told me that he told the manager of the store that he will sell all that they have. I really trust this guy. He is an active 2 player. FWIW.

Last edited:
This one might be the most intriguing release of the year for me as drivers go.

This one might be the most intriguing release of the year for me as drivers go.

Why so? It seems like this has been an especially good year for quality product releases. Hearing that any one item stands out really gets my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why so? It seems like this has been an especially good year for quality product releases. Hearing that any one item stands out really gets my attention.

Its a third driver release from B'stone in 2 years, that is MAJORLY new and instantly gets my interest. Add to it, the J815 was the sleeper of the year last year IMO and the tech form that has evolved here (Power Milling, F.A.S.T. etc).

Plus, it just looks fun.

i went by my fitter today to drop off a rogue shaft to be extended, and asked about this driver since he reps bridgestone. he doesn't have it in stock for demo, but he did show me a jgr driver and fairway wood he built for a tour player who hadn't picked it up yet. INSTANT ponder. the thing is beautiful at address, very confidence-inspiring. and the paint job and face contrast makes it look compact. and the fairway wood looks awesome too. i was trying to be good this year, but now i'm not so sure! he said both the driver and fairway wood are launchers. with the stock fubuki both felt pretty heavy.

my only beef, and there's nothing to be done about it and i completely understand why they did it, is the lack of adjustability. i haven't tinkered with my j815 since finding the right setting, but out of the box it was a nasty hooker and i would have written it off. knowing that the jgr is targeted to the same kind of golfer makes me concerned that it will be draw-bias as well. if it is, i'm out, which is a bummer because it looks so freaking good and if it's an improvement over the j815 wrt ball speed retention and launch conditions i will be very sad not to be able to game it.

Just tried out their True Balance putter at my local course and it was the heaviest damn thing I've ever used, and the grip was like a sponge. I'd like to give this a try though, looks interesting and their always on point with price.

i went by my fitter today to drop off a rogue shaft to be extended, and asked about this driver since he reps bridgestone. he doesn't have it in stock for demo, but he did show me a jgr driver and fairway wood he built for a tour player who hadn't picked it up yet. INSTANT ponder. the thing is beautiful at address, very confidence-inspiring. and the paint job and face contrast makes it look compact. and the fairway wood looks awesome too. i was trying to be good this year, but now i'm not so sure! he said both the driver and fairway wood are launchers. with the stock fubuki both felt pretty heavy.

my only beef, and there's nothing to be done about it and i completely understand why they did it, is the lack of adjustability. i haven't tinkered with my j815 since finding the right setting, but out of the box it was a nasty hooker and i would have written it off. knowing that the jgr is targeted to the same kind of golfer makes me concerned that it will be draw-bias as well. if it is, i'm out, which is a bummer because it looks so freaking good and if it's an improvement over the j815 wrt ball speed retention and launch conditions i will be very sad not to be able to game it.

I spoke to BStone rep at demo day and I believe it s 1° closed. So it is draw biased.

I spoke to BStone rep at demo day and I believe it s 1° closed. So it is draw biased.

I asked my fitter whether anything could be done about lie angle or face angle and he said no. maybe lead tape or hot melt?

I asked my fitter whether anything could be done about lie angle or face angle and he said no. maybe lead tape or hot melt?

depends on how much fade biased you need. You Can always add lead tape negate a 1° close face . But I don't know what your j815 is currently set up at and how much draw correction you need. I can negate a 1° close face very easily with just a weakened grip.

depends on how much fade biased you need. You Can always add lead tape to with negate a 1° close face . But I don't know what your j815 is currently set up at and how much draw correction you need. I can negate a 1° close face very easily with just a weakened grip.

my j815 is set to "RIGHT"

i want the driver to sit neutral on the ground, so if I change my grip then I feel like I'm manipulating the default weighting of the club. I still want to hit it, but I'm concerned.

my j815 is set to "RIGHT"

i want the driver to sit neutral on the ground, so if I change my grip then I feel like I'm manipulating the default weighting of the club. I still want to hit it, but I'm concerned.

I get your point. I loved the way it set up at address when I hit it. It was more addicting feel/sound wise next to the J7 15. And I love the J715 in regards to feel. Putting my j715 back in the bag this week with a Diamana Ahina ION so we'll see how that goes. Would love to get a JGR head to slap on a few shafts I have.

Are the weights on this interchangeable? How would moving the heel weight to the center back location and vice versa affect the club?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes they're interchangeable. Bridgestone says if you put the 10 gram weight in the heel port you should see a more piercing ball trajectory with lower spin and increased roll. Putting it in the center should give you a higher trajectory and increased carry. The Driver comes with stock 10g and 2g weights. I believe the stock offering on the j715 was 10g and 4g[/FONT]

I really do think about this one a lot. Would love to put it through its paces against the other offerings I have reviewed.

I know club clash is coming, but I do still think about it a lot.

I really do think about this one a lot. Would love to put it through its paces against the other offerings I have reviewed.

I know club clash is coming, but I do still think about it a lot.

Knowing what you like...I have a feeling you're going to LOVE this one. The 20 or so swings I put on it were pretty darn good.

Based on Snedeker's and Kuchar's driving I think this is going to a big sleeper for this year. I want to try it!!!

I would love to hear more comparisons between this one and the 715.. Hoping to get some video reviews on this bad boy.

Man the more I read on this the more I want it.... I'll have to find s place close to me that I can hit one

Got a chance to hit my JGR the last couple days here in Iowa. All I can say after about 10 swings on it is WOW! Bravo Bridgestone. Very impressed with this driver. So here is what I have. I ordered a 12 degree stock stiff shaft, you may say 12 degree ouch, especially for a high launching driver, well I have always played my best with a 12 degree, Love the feel of it at contact, to my eye it always sets up well. I purchased a J715 in a 10.5 and 12 , struggled quite a bit with the 10.5 with dispersion and control, the 12, well it was $ every time I put in play, it would actually piss other golfers off that had 8.5 to 10.5 degree lofted drivers and I would hang right with them or blow right pass them lol. Don't get me wrong I am not a long hitter, 260 280 avg, and at time can jump on one to 290 range, but for all those distances my swing has to be spot on. Back to the JGR, mind you again early season form not stretched out or into full swing mode but, tonight it was just incredible, I was hitting to distances well beyond my J715. First round yesterday with a strong head and cross wind at times, I was hitting it kind of high but, I have always hit it high. I was playing it stock paired with a new B330RXS and it felt extremely good, could move it both ways with no problem. So then tonight I played 6 holes again with only the JGR in the bag, and a 330RX instead, second swing of the day I was 10 yards longer then where I drove the ball to on avg last year on our par 5. Next hole par 4 uphill slight into the wind hit a piercing cut and thought I hit that well lets see where this ends up, again no roll very soft condition's but incredible it was 60 yards out, never would I get the J715 there on a cut, and with dryer conditions I would have been chipping!!! Next hole our longest par 5 elevated tee with a creek at about 270 to clear, hit a draw this time , that' how the hole sets up, and again hit it well but didn't hit it great, got down to where I thought it would be into a head wind and with plugging conditions figured ok it's plugged or in the small creek, lets move on to the next hole. last swing on again wasn't great probably the worst(it's early) straight though, as I was walking up, I thought I would look again for my plugged or lost ball, but on the other side of the creek where I thought no way it's there, well boys and girls, there it was way ahead of where I should have been by 20 yards again really dumbfounded that it flew that far. Back to the last hole walked up to where it was and again impressed on the distance even on miss hits. Sorry for babbling but really impressed and I LOVE my J715 so this is tough. I think with more time this will probably replace the 715, dispersion was just as good or better, distance, way better, feel, different but workable, sound, yes has a ping sound but who cares this thing is a Beast so far!!! The weights is what I will work with now. And will relay more info as I go.

Great thoughts there Roger!

Great thoughts and some nice distance gains. Seems like a keeper for you.

Back