Rusty Dave

#staffproto
Reaction score
Handicap
A question for all you golf types. I'm almost 43 and I've been addicted to golf for about 2.5 years.
It all started on an extended trip to Hawaii when I was 40. I was playing with a buddy and shooting poorly. I played maybe 6 times a year to that point and clearly sucked. Slice, topped, fat, or thin... You name it. That was me. At some moment during that round something happened to me. I decided that I was done sucking and wanted to get better. It was not a conscious decision but more of an inner desire to be good at golf.
Perhaps it was an early midlife crisis. I'm not sure. Perhaps it was the desire to excel at one thing. I'm a father of 3 and 6 year old girls. I'm an airline guy that takes me away for a lot of time. I don't have time for many extra things so I decided to make golf my one thing. Just one.
The first thing I did on that holiday was buy a Hank Haney ebook in kindle. I immediately started working through the book. My wife thought I was nuts. While on holidays I went to Sports Authority and bought a set of Tight Lies. Again my wife thought I was nuts. I worked through the ebook for the rest of my holidays.
Long story short, I've been addicted ever since. I truly didn't realize the difficulty of the game at the time.
I thought I could teach myself the game. I've bought countless training aids. Again, the wife just shakes her head. I bought a set of Callaway Razr HL's.
Six months ago I started taking lessons. Best thing I ever did. Finding the right pro has made an incredible difference. I wish I would have done that from the start.
Things are going well. I've been custom fit for some bio cells and the game continues to improve.
Here's what I'm wondering. I seem to can't stop thinking about golf. Whether I'm in cruise flying the airplane, at home with the family or hanging with friends, I can't get enough golf. Magazines, books, DVDs, golf channel. I love it all.
Am I alone with this or are there others out there that suffer from my condition? LOL! How is this game so addicting and does it ever stop? I think I need help. I love my family but oh man I love golf.

Perhaps I need a support group. Actually, I think I've found it. It's called the Hackers Paradise.

Cheers.

PS. My wife still thinks I'm nuts.

Last edited:
I'm a traveling consultant and i took a month (or so) off of work in-between contracts. I have to force myself to not play on some days and i'm still going out to chip and putt. It's absurd. Now this forum has me tinkering which is even worse. When i started, i used golf as a reason to get outside and start a game i could "casually" play the rest of my life and something i could play with my dad and eventually my kids if i'm blessed enough to have them. It's turned into full obsession now, so much so if I don't golf within a week I'm a pretty cranky person. I probably need to go get some lessons as well.

For many years golf was one of many things I was doing and got nowhere near the effort it needed foR me to become better. Then on top of that I starting dating the person who would become my wife and gave a lot of stuff up and the only thing I really missed was golf. I started playing again 3-4 years ago and like you decided I no longer wanted to suck.

I don't think,you are alone. I am always watching GC shows, watching tourneys, watching you tube videos on swing tiles/drills and now that I joined here last month I am always on here. I don't think it stops unless something comes up and gets in the way like the wedding planning for my wedding did.

Happy to meet you Rusty. I too am an airline guy, but I'm one of the guys that keeps guys like you in the sky. I believe you have found your support group. We support each other. And yes, I too think about this game 24/7. I sometimes have trouble going to sleep because I can't stop thinking about my golf swing. I love it, just wish I had more time to spend working on my game.
It sounds like you are going in the right direction. Lessons are the best way to develop you game.

I'm 57 been playing since I was 14. It's an addiction. My family has tried several interventions to no avail. Welcome to the club.

:welcome: Rusty, I think you are nuts. Having said that, you will fit in perfectly here at THP.

Welcome to THP!. Been off and off golf for 15 years, with a period I did not even touch a club for 5-6 years. Around this time last year I got more serious, been slightly obsessed with the game since. Your in the right place.

Welcome to THP!. Been off and off golf for 15 years, with a period I did not even touch a club for 5-6 years. Around this time last year I got more serious, been slightly obsessed with the game since. Your in the right place.
If I don't touch a club for 2 days it's like detox for me.

Welcome to the site. Yea pretty much all of us here are addicted to golf. That's why we all sit here, reading, typing, and daydreaming about more golf. Lessons are something that could benefit me tremendously. Hope you end up at some THP events!

Great post and welcome! You've undoubtedly found the right place!

Welcome. It's an addiction for sure. I live 3 blocks from a course with a big practice area and I live over there. I played a lot as a teenager, but life got (and the pursuit of trout) in the in the way for a couple decades. Becoming a parent made me realize how important the game was to me growing up and I started again in 2012.

I'm 57 been playing since I was 14. It's an addiction. My family has tried several interventions to no avail. Welcome to the club.

Intervention. Funny stuff.

Nope, not just you. It's pretty much all of us :) Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP!!

Be the ball!!

You are definitely not alone.

Hello....my name is Dale and I'm a golfaholic! They say admitting you have a problem is the first step. I'm with you on this, I'm either watching, playing or practicing. Welcome to THP.

Hello....my name is Dale and I'm a golfaholic! They say admitting you have a problem is the first step. I'm with you on this, I'm either watching, playing or practicing. Welcome to THP.

Thanks man. Anyone with a Rodney Dangerfield photo is an instant friend of mine.

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

Thanks for all the replies. Not only do I now know I'm not alone, I realize what a bunch of awesome people are on this forum. What a wicked tool for all golfers. Thanks THP!

Its not just you, you have now surrounded yourself with equally an equally sick group of enablers. Your habit will not seem so bad if everyone around you is equally as deranged. I stop on the way to and from work to putt, I hit birdieballs in my yard so I can make full swings while I watch my kids ride bikes, and I play golf holes in my mind to fall asleep at night.....

Welcome!

Hahaha. Are you my doppelgänger? A few years ago we took the inlaws to Hawaii for their 50th. Was @ turtle at, on the 2nd to last day my father inlaw said let's go play a round (he plays all the time). So away we went. Next day the wife seen a gleam in my eyes. Now " I'm a golf addict"

I just got back into playing golf after a loooonnggg time away from the game. Golf is a game you love or hate... sometimes both!

Hahaha. Are you my doppelgänger? A few years ago we took the inlaws to Hawaii for their 50th. Was @ turtle at, on the 2nd to last day my father inlaw said let's go play a round (he plays all the time). So away we went. Next day the wife seen a gleam in my eyes. Now " I'm a golf addict"

Haha. Same here. Was playing in Hawaii a few years ago. Had no idea what I was doing. Something snapped in me. Decided to take up the game seriously. Sooo addicting. My wife says my love for golf is annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my wife actually took it up also, say's a little exercise wouldn't hurt and we can golf together. Okay I'll go with that :)

Back