What do you look for in a Driver?

Forgiveness and distance . For some reason I have this belief that I need something I can work off the tee yet I always wind up back with the g20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance first, then looks. I'm very conscious of spin numbers and have seen the negative effect of having too much spin. Watching a what looks like a great ball spin out and balloon is pretty deflating (HUGE pun intended). I like a smaller looking driver head with some flair to it. The Bio Cell + is perfect for me IMO. It's colorful, has just the right amount of spin and quite a bit of forgiveness.

I will have to second this. Just gives me confidence at address. Makes the fairways wider.

Forgiveness
Distance
Looks
Sound
=Callaway Big Bertha

Don't know about you guys but I'm always looking for the sweet spot in a driver, but I rarely can find it!

:)

Last edited:
Don't about you guys but I'm always looking for the sweet spot in a driver, but I rarely can find it!

:)

Haha! Truth! It can be a daunting task to find some days too, silly game!

Face angle OPEN: I hit a draw and my miss is a hook. No square or draw biased drivers for me!
Distance first: don't be shorter than my current gamer!
Forgiveness: I need to keep my misses as close to in-play as possible.
Sound/Feel: If they all felt like a purely hit drive off the Alpha, that's perfect to me.
Cost: I can't afford $600 so a high-dollar aftermarket shaft is out of the question!

I've just had a driver fitting today and tried G30, X2 Hot, SLDR, Jetspeed and a Benross.

As a high handicapper, it's odd/wrong for me to say but sound/feel is most important to me. I hit them all the same distance (give or take 5yards) but the sldr I just wanted to hit again and again. Loved how I could feel exactly where I hit the ball on the face as well as the trajectory. The Benross performed well and is half the price but it felt and sounded like hitting a reinforced beer can.

Forgiveness is important too so I'd take the X2 hot if i was buying today as it had a bit of both but I think all modern 460 drivers are pretty forgiving!

Some forgiveness, low spin, looks (pear shaped head that has a smallish footprint and a darker color), sound (no high pitched metallic sound)

For me it's dispersion, forgiveness on mishits, and a non-obnoxious sound.

Looks, sound and performance. I don't need adjustability.

It's got to be longer and tighter dispersion than my previous. And in a very subjective category, I need to love it.

For me dispersion/forgiveness, length, aesthetics, then sound. I initially bought the Bertha instead of the X2 Hot because I really did not care for the finish of the X2 Hot and on the monitors the length and dispersion were pretty close. Wish I had done more testing outside before since on the course for me the X2 Hot is better hands down. So I got over the aesthetics and went with results trading Bertha for the X2 Hot.

Usually read most posts before I post but this time I don't need to. I look for offset, most important thing for me. None of the other things count if I can't play the ball. Have gave up on fixing swing.

Accuracy. And trailing far behind in second place, distance.

I will suffer any combination of horrible looks and sound if a driver gives me the bast chance (relative to other drivers) of putting the ball in the fairway. I will say, though, that I may give the better looking drivers a try first.

I have a minimum distance requirement, though: it has to go further than my 3W. Kind of obvious, I guess!

In this order : Accuracy / Dispersion, Forgiveness, Distance.

Back