Callaway2580

Reaction score
Handicap
My Goal is the break 90 this year. How often should I practice during the week and play?

Practice with a purpose and don't just bang balls at the range. Short game, short game, short game. I would practice on a 3-1 ratio.

Play and practice when you can. As time goes on, you will get better and you will break 90 before you know it. Good Luck!

That is 100% dependent on the player. Some can play once a month and do it easily others need to work at it. Now if your handicap is 36(which is fine) then you have a lot of work to put in most likely. I would imagine 1-2 rounds a week an 3 nights at the range a week would give you a good chance at it. Really depends on your natural ability though.

Short game including putting practice. I spent an hour a week on the putting green and chipping last year.

Range time should be with a purpose. Hit balls to targets, take time between each shot

Let's do some math. You say you're handicap 36. To break 90 you need to shoot less than 18 over in a par 72 course. That means you need to shoot more than 18 strokes less than your current best game to go below 90. If you want to break 90 before the year is over, you'll need to shave off 2 to 3 strokes a month.

Based on that math, that's quite a stretch. If you play 3 to 4 times a week, you'll have a chance to attain that, but achieving that before year end is a long shot.

And you'll need to work on your short game.

Short game including putting practice. I spent an hour a week on the putting green and chipping last year.

Range time should be with a purpose. Hit balls to targets, take time between each shot

Practice with a purpose and don't just bang balls at the range. Short game, short game, short game. I would practice on a 3-1 ratio.

They speak they #truth

Let's do some math. You say you're handicap 36. To break 90 you need to shoot less than 18 over in a par 72 course. That means you need to shoot more than 18 strokes less than your current best game to go below 90. If you want to break 90 before the year is over, you'll need to shave off 2 to 3 strokes a month.

Based on that math, that's quite a stretch. If you play 3 to 4 times a week, you'll have a chance to attain that, but achieving that before year end is a long shot.

And you'll need to work on your short game.

FWIW, 36 is the auto number listed if you don't edit that part of your profile. I'm taking a guess here that the OP just hasn't changed it.

Short game and putting are the quickest and easiest ways to gain strokes.

The slowest, but with the biggest long term payoff is to practice your full swing at the driving range 65% of the time. Then spend 25% on your short game. And 15% on your putting.

One of the biggest payoffs is hitting shots on target from 100 - 140 yds. These typically are your approach shots. If you can get these to land within 15 yds of target you'll reduce the number of strokes it takes to finish a hole.

Then when you're on the course, take what the course gives you. Don't go for the hero shots. Keep the ball in play, learn where the trouble zones are and avoid them.

Back