OEM Loyalties - To Whom & Why

gizmo3putt

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 15.4
I didn't see a topic about loyalties so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Mine is with Callaway for clubs

A few of years ago, when 1st starting up, I did some review reading/friends and so on. Went to the major oem websites etc. Each of them, except Callaway, with the info off their sites said I needed the latest equipment from them for the type of golfer & swing & problem areas I described. Callaway on the other hand said I only needed an older model of equipment (diablo edge). To me this sounded like they were NOT after the $$$ but setting me up as I described.

So for this Callaway gets my loyalty

Though I get accused of being in pockets on the interwebs apparently (I wish, maybe I wouldn't be as broke as I am) I really have no allegiances. I will play anything and everything. Shiny is fun, no matter the name on the club for me!

Great customer service, great interaction on social media, and taking part in thp events makes me loyal to companies. Fortunately for me, these companies are making amazing clubs.

I think for me it depends on the club. I've fallen in love with PING drivers. I've tried many over the years, different brands, but always tend to go back to the PING. I'm actually getting a PING fitting tomorrow from a local rep. Other than that I could care less. It's all want looks good to me and feels right. That might be part of why I go back to PING with the driver because of the feel

shiny is fun, I guess I should have added for my skill level, they put me in the right place. If my game ever gets to a level where inches/mph/spin make a difference then yes i would be looking at all oem's for getting the performance I would need

I like buying equipment from companies that want my business. Or at least make me feel like they want my business.

I always give Callaway, Adams and Wilson Staff a first look but I have no loyalties. I will play what I end up liking the most.

I always give Callaway, Adams and Wilson Staff a first look but I have no loyalties. I will play what I end up liking the most.

I take the same approach, just with different starting points... I'll look at Ping, Mizuno, and Titleist first, but will game others without hesitation (as seen by my WITB).

No club or ball loyalties as you can see from the 6 different companies in my signature - 7 if you count the ball. I play what works and fits my swing with no regard to brand name or advertising. I find it funny how loyal some of my buddies are to their golf brands, especially with golf balls. I really get a chuckle out of golfers that have only one brand in their bag and also have the matching staff bag with same branded clothing.

No club or ball loyalties as you can see from the 6 different companies in my signature - 7 if you count the ball. I play what works and fits my swing with no regard to brand name or advertising. I find it funny how loyal some of my buddies are to their golf brands, especially with golf balls. I really get a chuckle out of golfers that have only one brand in their bag and also have the matching staff bag with same branded clothing.

Brother, you would hate an event like this. :D

emyhuvy6.jpg

If we ever teed it up you would laugh continuously then lol :)

While I'm willing to play anything, Adams always gets a first look in woods and hybrids, especially with the array of hybrids they have. The Super LS and now the XTD are both fantastic. Otherwise, it's fair game as to what fits my game.

I have to say that I have no loyalties to any OEM. Just look at my signature. I came from all Callaway years ago, to a smörgåsbord of equipment. THP opened my eyes to all the many quality OEMs out there.

No real loyalties. If the club feels good and numbers and feel are right count me in although Cleveland will get first look,for wedges.

whatever company has the best deals for used clubs. For me it was Nike. Still being brand new to the sport I can't justify paying top dollar for new clubs that are going to look very used after a few rounds of play from me.

Bridgestone balls and Ping irons (even though I'm not currently playing them) for me.

I'll play anything from anybody though.

I have none, never understood how people could either.
Just doesn't make since to me. Use what works for you.

Do you only buy one brand of clothes etc...?

I have one to Callaway but I'm bias. I have a great friend that works there but it's more than that for me. I don't really hate on other companies except maybe TM but that's because I have other friends that work/worked there and it's just fun giving them crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don't have brand loyalty. Why? I think you limit the possibilities if you only buy brand "X". There isn't anything wrong with it if you do have a preference, I just haven't been in a position (or have the opportunity), to only play one brand. Would I like to be able to try everything out and then say that one brand is the only one for me? Maybe.

Living where I am though, stores don't carry all the products. Take Callaway for example. I can find Bertha, Alpha and X2Hot drivers. I can find woods. No hybrids are available in town. Apex and X2Hot irons are here (but no Apex Pro), and I can't find the wedges or new release putters. Cobra? Bio Cell and + Drivers, Bio Cell Woods, and Bio Cell irons are available (nothing else from their releases). TM is here in force, and Nike probably has the largest presence (which is strange to me). Titleist is only found on a fitting cart, and that is 35 minutes away. Bridgestone doesn't exist here, which is really sad. Drive 2 hours, and the selection increases, but you still won't have access to everything.

I play whatever I can get that is a decent product, that performs well for me, but also that is within my price range. Be it previous year's product, new release, or an old classic, I like the options.

I don't have a loyalty to any particular company. When I'm looking to replace a club or clubs I will first gravitate to TM, Callaway, Mizuno (irons) and Titleist but have learned to try everything or you could be missing out on a better fitting/performing club.

When I was looking to replace my Titleist irons that were stolen I did all the usual comparisons but hadn't ever considered Adams for irons. Then I saw the CMBs (they had just come out) and had to give them a shot. They were by far the best performers for me on the simulator, nothing else was even close AND they were less expensive than any brand I looked at - Done Deal! Love the CMBs and consequently ended up with the awesome 15° Super LS hybrid the following year, blew my Titleist 910F out of the bag!

Quality, history, great customer service, great interaction on social media and to some degree their professional presence. It leads to Callaway for me. Their clubs just work for me and while I've played other brands in the past few years, I always end up back at all Callaway and I'm happy that today they go out of their way to make you feel part of them.

I find it rather interesting that people take issue or laugh at others for brand loyalty. I've always had a good time joking with friends who prefer a certain brand, but it's always in good fun. This game is defined by each of us individually and I can't help but find it strange that someone would slight others if they happened to love one company.

Just my opinion though.

I'd say no loyalties, but when I found out my fitting was off for my irons and driver, I went right back to Callaway. I have played Taylor Made everything since I coached years back because I had access to clubs, clothes, and balls at below cost. I still play their balls because of this, but since I can't get equipment from them cheaply anymore, I'm open to what works. I'm stuck with major OEMs as I only have one golf store near me, and there isn't any access to true fittings that include launch monitor on a range, with any maker of shaft and club available, unless I drive 4 1/2 hours to Dallas. So, if I can demo the club from my store here, that's what I'm most likely to buy. But, after the Grandaddy and what Callaway did for me, I'm always gonna lean their way first.

I've always been a Titleist guy since they were based in my home state and have felt a sense of homer loyalty. I've played their irons, gloves, shoes (Footjoy) and primarily their balls for years.

I've experimented with other brands recently as you can see in my WITB descriptions, and due to an amazing level of customer service and just falling in love with their irons I'll be in the Callaway camp for a while. I've played their wedges for over 5 years Going to be checking out thier drivers and putters soon.

Last edited:
I like supporting the underdog, so currently I'm gaming Tour Edge. However, if I found a great deal on clubs which bettered my game ... I'd go with them. No one is paying me to play their gear, so I don't feel the need to be loyal to a particular brand. It's a hobby, I'll go with what makes the hobby funnest for me.

Back