course/range instruction vs launch monitor/simulator instruction

Kevin Coleman

Reaction score
Handicap
THP,

I am considering investing in some lessons for this season.

My question to you all is what your thoughts are on getting lessons from a pro at a local course or from the pro at a local retail store, or golftec type facility...

I'm interested to hear about experiences, improvement, area of focus, and overall recommendation.

The one time I worked with a pro, it was in college at a local muni. I liked my experience there, but would like more insight on the other options.

Thanks for the help.

Good question, but I think you are looking at it in a different light. You put the word "pro" in front of both of them. If you are actually referring to 2 specific people, then you should be checking into their experience, their background, maybe even how likeable they are. Both of these gentlemen could be cut from the same cloth but took separate paths in their careers. Sure one may have been exposed to more live play, while the other may do more training on a simulator. I would say see what they have to offer and what fits your game before deciding a club pro is different than a retail pro. IMO of course

I do think I positioned the question wrong... I really want to know from a resources perspective is it more valuable to have the simulator and launch monitors etc. or to have real ball flight out on the range or course.

In terms of how instruction is approached if your primary input is visual of my swing and numbers that the launch monitor gives.

OR

Primary input is visual of my swing and visual of actual ballflight...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Good question, but I think you are looking at it in a different light. You put the word "pro" in front of both of them. If you are actually referring to 2 specific people, then you should be checking into their experience, their background, maybe even how likeable they are. Both of these gentlemen could be cut from the same cloth but took separate paths in their careers. Sure one may have been exposed to more live play, while the other may do more training on a simulator. I would say see what they have to offer and what fits your game before deciding a club pro is different than a retail pro. IMO of course

^^^ Agree with this. The chemistry between you and the pro is a huge factor.

I would also add that when I was looking for an instructor, I wanted to know who taught and trained them. It almost feels like picking a thoroughbred in horse racing, I like to know the blood line that got the person directly in front of me where they are at.

I can't speak to the retail v course part, but I think the decision should be more about identifying what you want and then picking the best fit. I took lessons last year at my home course. There was an older PGA pro -- my age -- and a younger guy -- young enough he could be my kid -- just out of playing competitively in the NCAA and known for his good work teaching younger players. I have an easy and good relationship wth the older pro but chose the younger guy. I wanted to push myself and not just be comfortable. For me that was a good choice. I am not interested in playing to my age.

I currently take lessons with a PGA pro at the retail store. I agree with everyone else though, it doesn't matter where the guy teaches out of. It depends more on his ability to teach and his personality. The guy I found has been great and I'm very happy that I've taken lessons with him.

I have taken lessons from my local pro and also from couple of GolfTec instructors. I am not "Bill Nye" but I am kind of a science guy so I liked the GolfTec experience. I like the videos and the numbers and comparisons to successful players that the sensors and video provides.

As it turned out I did like the teachers at GolfTec to. They were knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.

I don't own any stock but if I were to commit to a series of lessons I wold go the science route. That said, chemistry with the instructor is very important.

I take lessons from a pro at a retail store and he is excellent IMO. Very responsive when I ask for a lesson time, super personable, and I like his approach to the swing. Whereas when I tried to set up a lesson at my local course this week on sand play, I left a message with the pro 3 days ago and he hasn't called me back. Oh and he's also kind of a dick from every interaction I've had with him.

Not trying to knock a course pro in any way, more just reinforcing that it can totally go either way depending on the person we're talking about. It has almost nothing to do with the facility in my experience. I've been to fantastic facilities with crap teaching pros, and goat tracks with outstanding teaching pros, and vice versa.

I am now taking lessons from a pro at a local golf center. Wouldn't really call it a retail store as they are mainly indoor/outdoor ranges, sim and instruction. But I am very happy so far. i say so far as I only had my first lesson a few days ago. I personally just don't know if I could trust a Pro at a true retail store as I know they are always trying to sell something.

I have done both......while I did well with my GolfTec experience...it seems like they have a "cookie cutter" methodology....they try to teach everyone the same swing....no matter your body type or ability.

When I went to my local pro, he focused more on how to make "MY SWING" work for me....he didnt try to tear me down and build me back up like GolfTec did

I did really enjoy the videos and things from GolfTec.....the other problem I have with GolfTec is their payment model.....you really can't take a few lessons and pay as you go......you have to buy a large package of lessons and pay in advance....my package was close to a thousand dollars.

I'll preface my comment by saying that I haven't had lessons with Golftec or similar places.

I joined my course because of the pro there. I'd had a few lessons with him, liked him and he helped me a lot in a way that I could understand and implement. He has since moved on to greener pastures and I will trying his replacement, former 1st assistant, out and see how it goes.

It's been said and should be said more, your relationship with the instructor, how well they understand your goals and if they can say/demonstrate/teach in a way you can understand is more important than whether or not they are at a course or "store front" in my uneducated opinion.

I currently take lessons with a PGA pro at the retail store. I agree with everyone else though, it doesn't matter where the guy teaches out of. It depends more on his ability to teach and his personality. The guy I found has been great and I'm very happy that I've taken lessons with him.

Exactly, if you don't have a good trust in your Pro, it doesn't matter WHERE he (or she) teaches out of.

I haven't taken lessons with a retail store person or at golftec. My preference is to take a lesson where I can hit balls outside and hopefully off grass so I can see the ball flight and how the lesson affects that.

the key thing IMO are the instructor doesn't yeah a swing to everyone but works with you on what you are capable of. That he can communicate well and get his thoughts to be conveyed in a way you can understand.

Find a pro that uses a launch monitor outside (best of both options). I prefer (as the student) to see my ball flight and the changes during a lesson of what the ball is doing in reaction to what I am doing. It makes taking it from range to course easier.

Find a pro that uses a launch monitor outside (best of both options). I prefer (as the student) to see my ball flight and the changes during a lesson of what the ball is doing in reaction to what I am doing. It makes taking it from range to course easier.
This is definitely the way to go IMO too. For me, nothing beats being able to see the ball flight outside.

I'm presently taking lessons from a golf course pro. But since no courses are open here yet, his lessons are inside. But there are things like sand, and hitting off real grass, that cannot be replicated indoors imo. And we will be moving outdoors in the next couple weeks.
And being a visual type of guy, distances are easier to visualize outside obviously.

well, since i really don't like hitting balls indoors i would never take lessons indoors on a sim or at golftec. i need to see the ball really doing things in the air.

I'm presently taking lessons from a golf course pro. But since no courses are open here yet, his lessons are inside. But there are things like sand, and hitting off real grass, that cannot be replicated indoors imo. And we will be moving outdoors in the next couple weeks.
And being a visual type of guy, distances are easier to visualize outside obviously.

I took a couple lessons at a retail outlet off and hit balls indoor and off of mats, and much prefer hitting off grass outdoors. If I liked the instructor and felt they would help improve my game I would not let either option keep me from proceeding with them.

Back