Callaway 2014 Big Bertha Irons Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointing to see Callaway use the big Bertha moniker on this club. I doubt the distance claim will be true for most players but I will give them a hit to see. At 1k for these irons if I were in the market for a super game improvement set I wouldn't consider these based on cost alone sadly.

Why disappointed? This is a pretty cool innovation to include fairway wood face tech in an iron. Exactly the type of innovation that callaway wants big Bertha to stand for

Why disappointed? This is a pretty cool innovation to include fairway wood face tech in an iron. Exactly the type of innovation that callaway wants big Bertha to stand for

Agreed, they fall right in line with past Bertha iron offerings. Innovative forgiveness.

How would that work?

The amount of flex/rebound. Like strings in a tennis racket...tighter strings = more velocity and control IF you swing hard enough. If you don't you lose velocity.

Seems unlikely though that these would be engineered for fast rather than avg swing speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I need these in the worst possible way!
I bet my brother in law, Dan The Man on the forum, will have these within days of release!

Why do we need a new iron with club up distances of 2 clubs? There are no new courses being built arouind me with 600 yard par 4s. most people are on the green in 2 or 3 now with their current club! OH, your introducing 4 new wedges, I get now!!! I'm sorry but seems a bit useless to me
I am guessing you are a long knocker. Because this would get me hitting the clubs I feel I should hit with my irons.

Are these semi-hollow? I mean instead of cavityback.

As someone who struggles with distance, these seem like a no brainer!

Are these semi-hollow? I mean instead of cavityback.
exactly.

I didn't make it to my friends fitting today at Callaway Canada. But he called me right after he was done.

You guessed it. He's buying them. They destroyed his Ping G25's.

Wish I could have went.

If these irons turn out to support the claims then these might be revolutionary. It would be foolish not to look into them if you're in the GI market. I'm a fan of straight up irons with simple lines, but I really want to see what these are about. Callaway yet again wears the pants in R&D.

exactly.

I didn't make it to my friends fitting today at Callaway Canada. But he called me right after he was done.

You guessed it. He's buying them. They destroyed his Ping G25's.

Wish I could have went.

Hopefully he lets you hit them when they come in, and you can give us some thoughts!

How would that work?

There's a school of thought that max COR faces have a larger impact for the higher swing speed player than the lower swing speed player. The face deflection is higher for the high swing speed player, so the rebound effect is larger.

The SGI target market is often (not always) lower swing speed. If the face hotness effect is less for a lower swing speed player, then it's not as big of a deal for the target market.

Let's put it this way. Take two identically spec'd clubs with the same shafts, lofts, shaft length. The only variable is face hotness. Is that really going to play one club longer?

Now, all those factors play into the new Berthas. If the shafts are longer and lighter, lofts are stronger, then they're going to be longer. That's looking at the specs, and the specs seem to be worth a club.

The other factors impacting distance would be spin, launch angle and the face hotness. Those seem to be based on fit and would vary from person to person.

That's basically what Callaway is saying. They're picking up a club from specs. You may or may not pick up another club depending on fit.

Closing thoughts:
- Am I the target market? Yes.
- Do they visually look good to me? Yes. They look like an update to the Razr XF line, which I really liked.
- Will I try them? Sure.
- Do I think it's going to be easier to hit a 20.5 degree iron? Nope.
- Do I think my game is going to change when I hit the 26 degree, 38.875 inch shafted 6 iron in the Bertha set versus the 25 degree 38 inch shafted 5 iron in the Razr HL set? No.
- Do I actually think I'll hit better shots with the Bertha 6 versus the Razr HL 5? No.
- Do I actually think I'd even use irons in the slots with the juiced lofts? No.
- Could I be totally wrong and eating crow later? Absolutely. I was about the XHot FWs and they're in my bag now.

The easy answer is why dont we? Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. If someone feels that they like more choices, and/or this product fits them, then they will be available. Those that dont want them or like them, there are literally hundreds of other options.

Choices are good in life regardless of consumer product.

Plus, 9 iron into a green is much easier than a 7 iron. Average golfer might carry their 7 iron 155 yards. This looks like an iron that appeals to a majority of golfers around the world. I'm sure they'll have a "Pro" model or something that is toned down a bit.

While this isn't for me, I can see a lot of weekend golfers benefiting from more forgiveness and extra distance.

I'd hit them.

But, I'd hit anything. :alien:

Disappointing to see Callaway use the big Bertha moniker on this club. I doubt the distance claim will be true for most players but I will give them a hit to see.
I'd take you up on that bet. The longer irons not only come with a longer shaft, but have a lower loft. Both of those things are going to add distance.

I'm not sure I'd want to hit my PW as far as I typically hit my 8i, but I'd love to hit my 6i to a 4i length. Now I need to figure out how to cobble together $1000.

I was able to hit a Bertha 7 iron at Golfsmith during lunch today. Aesthetically they reminded me of the Callaway Edge and TaylorMade Rocketbladez Max. Distance was I would say pretty close to my gamers, maybe half a club longer. But, give the launch and drought conditions in the area, I need to hit a bunch of shots with it outdoors. They launch high enough I think I could bring rain. I was hitting 7 irons that were consistently 43-45 yards high on the monitor. This may have affected the distance since somewhat. If you are vertically challenged, these could be the ticket for you.

I like the look of these and might have to look into these as i am looking at irons currently. Hopefully they hit as good as they look.

I think I might put these in play this weekend without any range time with them. THP Events = Great chance to test these for me.

I think you should let me put these in play this weekend. I LOVE the cup face X2 Hot hybrids, I'm trying to wrap my head around an iron with that kind of ball speed producing technology.

With recoil shafts as an option and an iron head that actually looks pretty darn good, this may just be the set that could give the altitudes a run for their money. I cannot wait to try these out, I'm hoping they'll be on the range Saturday morning?

I think you should let me put these in play this weekend. I LOVE the cup face X2 Hot hybrids, I'm trying to wrap my head around an iron with that kind of ball speed producing technology.

With recoil shafts as an option and an iron head that actually looks pretty darn good, this may just be the set that could give the altitudes a run for their money. I cannot wait to try these out, I'm hoping they'll be on the range Saturday morning?
If they arrive before we leave....deal.

Oh snap!

Callaway 2014 Big Bertha Irons Preview

Hope you get to hit then Brett. I'm very curious to see he they compare to Altitudes.

Hope you get to hit then Brett. I'm very curious to see he they compare to Altitudes.

Man I hope so too. They look so good in comparison to the altis. Definitely some more offset but I'm sold on the cup face technology after bagging the X2 hot pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really want to see these thing sin action. Curious about the new distance gains. I know not everyone will see 2 clubs but I am betting there are gains of some sort.

Man I hope so too. They look so good in comparison to the altis.

I can see your bag....

Driver, 3W, 5W, 7-PW, GW, GW2, GW3, SW, LW

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back