Best Advice Received?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Some of us have been around this game for a long time and have heard some great advice and then some not so great advice. On everything from the swing, the mechanics, etiquette, etc. But the one piece of advice that has stuck with me all these years was given to me by my father when I was 10 years old.

Being a young kid, I had a temper and had a hard time controlling my emotions on the golf course. I would get so frustrated with myself and take it way too seriously. I would throw my temper tantrums and it would get so bad that my dad would send me back to the car and wait for him to finish because I was embarrassing him. I had a hard time letting go of one bad shot and realizing that it wasn't the end of the round after one bad hole. I had a very difficult time of "staying in the present" or "taking it one shot at a time." Even to this day it's a never ending battle.

My father eventually told me "the average player says they are going to turn it around on the back nine. The better player says they are going to play better on the next hole. The best players say they are going to get it back on the next shot." Just because you topped one off the tee 50 yards, doesn't mean you are out of the hole or the round is ruined. Staying in the present is one of the hardest things to accomplish in golf. The key to the whole thing is to not let your initial mistakes turn into additional ones.

So what say you? What has been the best piece of advice you have received? Something that has stuck with you ... whether you just took up the game or have been playing it for years.

One of the wisest things I ever heard was a simple one.

"Whether you are good or bad, play fast. Nobody remembers the shots as long as you are fun, but most remember and dislike the slow golfer at the club."

You're not good enough to get angry about a bad shot. One of my favs.

I don't know if it qualifies as advice, but one of my favorite sayings of all time came from the former GM at a club here in Maryland. When he was sending a outing out and making all the usual annoucments, he ended it by saying, "Play well, play fast, play poorly, play faster"

Play to score

man nothing comes to mind .....i guess i need more wise people in my life

Stay relaxed.

Never follow up a bad shot with a dumb shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a book title actually "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" that book along with that title as a reference turned golf in to a game that is much more fun now.

It was a book title actually "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" that book along with that title as a reference turned golf in to a game that is much more fun now.

I have that whole series on CD that I listen to in the truck on the way to/from work every day.

An old buddy of my grandpa's used to say "I aint paying all this money to be pissed off. I have my wife for that." lol

Pretty much everything in the swing tips with Freddie.

Other is a day on the course is better than a day at work so have fun and enjoy it

the ball flight doesn't lie. You might think you are doing something, but the ball flight will let you know exactly what you are doing.

Best advice I have received about golf has to be, "Enjoy it, if you loose the enjoyment walk away for a minute and let yourself remember why you started golfing, for the fun of it"

Suprised no one has said "keep your head down"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Grip it and rip it". I think of this phrase when I'm getting into my own head with regards to my swing.

Think long, think wrong

Bad practice is worse than no practice

Swing fast, not hard.

Golf is just a game. Go out and have fun. Dont get stressed out.

Take lessons ... don't try to buy a game

You need professional help ...wait that was my ex-wives ...

"You hit a bad shot, so don't hang your head. Just go hit the next one."

40 years ago; "3 awful shots and a great putt beats 3 great shots and an awful putt". I modidified the meaning a bit, so to me it means that no matter how embarassingly bad I hit the last shot(s), if I stay positive and in the present, the next one might be great. Maybe it's because I didn't start golfing until I first was out on my own, but I never understood those golfers who get real angry. Golf is hard for sure, but to me, it just costs too much time and money to not fully enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Back