Installing 3-PW shafts n 4-AW

wluker17

Reaction score
Handicap
I was sent a set of PXLZ steel shafts but in 3-PW instead of 4-AW that I have. Could I just trim however much length off the tip of each shaft to fit my set? Like 1/2" off the 3 iron shaft for my 4 iron and on down the line? I'm not looking to soft-step my irons. I want them to be normal length and play true to each iron. Thanks

War Eagle from my iPhone

If the shafts are .355 taper tip, they weren't designed to be tip trimmed... I have seen and heard people tip trimming .25 but not sure if .5 would be too much... Main concern would be the increasing tip diameter as you go up the shaft, might mess with insert depth.

Crap. They are taper tip. Would they play more like soft-stepped if you butt trimmed them?

War Eagle from my iPhone

Crap. They are taper tip. Would they play more like soft-stepped if you butt trimmed them?

War Eagle from my iPhone
If you installed the set as is into your set of 4 - aw they will be soft stepped, playing about 1/3 flex softer

If you installed the set as is into your set of 4 - aw they will be soft stepped, playing about 1/3 flex softer

Well that is not what I want. I'll just wait to confirm with Project X exactly what they sent and make sure I have the right thing before I do anything.

Use the 4-PW shafts and buy an AW shaft or am I missing something here?

Back