Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Missed 3' (or less) Putt

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
After my last round this thought came to me (tells you how that went)
What is golf's most embarrassing or demoralizing miss? What's the one you feel the worst after throwing up?

My personal fav. the chunk. Especially out of a perfect lie. It just takes all of your hopes, efforts and anticipation and rips them into tiny shreds and blows them in your face. ...then you have to walk 20yd and hit it again.

for me its the whiff. Nothing more embarrassing than the good ol swing and a miss

I suppose a whiff... that's pretty bad.

Best drive of the day, followed up by a chunked approach shot.

Close second, and it happened to me last night..... somehow taking a divot on a putt.

The whiff or topping a driver straight into the ground.

Has to be the hosel rocket. I have hit a few of them recently and its embarrassing as hell.

yeah, I thought about that right after I posted it... Don't know how to add it to the poll.

It is absolutely the top or the sh*** for me. Both just make you look like you've never touched a golf club before.

Topped shots keep me up at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others and say a whiff is the most embarrassing.

The topped drive that bounces backward behind me. Don't ask how I know.

No option for the good old Webb Simpson special.

The whiff would be the most embarrassing, but for the sake of your poll I went with the topped shot. Specifically off the tee.

For me, it's the top.

From a purely disastrous standpoint, the bladed wedge is up there. Nothing like ruining a hole when you're 70 yards away.

The shank was one I was thinking of, but those sometimes just happen.

Topping one off the tee is the most embarrassing for me. Second would be a sha^k. Don't even like to type that word. lol

Okay, I think we need to add the wiff and the Sh**k. How do I add items to the poll?

Whiffs are the top dog for sure, I'd probably say for an actual contact shot the top is worse than a shank in terms of my level of embarrassment. I've had the shanks, they plagued me for a solid 2 years. They're ugly and wholly undesirable, but they do at least travel. Taking a huge rip at a ball, only to top the shot and it ends up 5 feet in front of you....... that is the worst.

shank for sure. can't remember the last time i whiffed (when relatively sober, that is).

The topped tee shot with top spin that leaves a ball divot on the tee and bounces/squirts up to the next set of tees (or worse) is as bad as it gets. A whiff is humiliating too, but at least then there is a no-cost chance for redemption. Shank or bladed chip are pretty darn embarrassing too, but I am sticking with the top.

I voted for bladed wedge, as all I've seemed to do from green side bunkers lately is smash the ball 75 yards over the green. Raking the trap, then walking all the way across the green, then chipping on…all while your group (and the group behind you waiting to hit their approach shots) is waiting and watching. Oof…

out of the ones listed i'll take the bladed wedge... especially when out of the bunker, toward a nice house, during a THP event

I voted for bladed wedge, as all I've seemed to do from green side bunkers lately is smash the ball 75 yards over the green. Raking the trap, then walking all the way across the green, then chipping on…all while your group (and the group behind you waiting to hit their approach shots) is waiting and watching. Oof…

It's even worse at a lot of the courses here, when you blade a wedge, then have to drop one in the trap because behind the green is OB. Then blade another, rake the bunker again, and go look for both balls.

Speaking from experience a few weeks back.

Back