Most Forgiving CB?

williaza

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for opinions on the most forgiving CB irons. 716s...Mizuno MP-25s....Taylormade tour Preferred...Apex pro...Apex 16..etc

OR if you have an opinion of the simple best CB I would be interested in that. Thanks

I think it depends on what you are looking for in forgiveness. Are we just talking ball speed on mis-hits, or something more?

I'm a big fan of the J15 CB. They are suprisingly forgiving and long.

I'm a big fan of the J15 CB. They are suprisingly forgiving and long.

They crossed my mind, but having played them and the Hogan PTx, I feel like the Hogans are just as soft but more forgiving.

I'm just not sure about the added spin on the short irons and the larger distance gaps on long irons for me, but those are both features that I think would help a lot of golfers.

If forgiveness is a priority, perhaps a CB is not the best choice. Perhaps more of a "transitional" iron would be best. I will say that the TM TP CB is quite forgiving. I would however recommend something like an AP2, Apex CF16, PSI, etc. It is a transition from a GI iron to a CB-ish iron, and would probably be a good compromise between a smaller, better-player iron, and still packing in a lot of forgiveness. If money is no object, the PXG stuff sounds just like what you're looking for.

If forgiveness is a priority, perhaps a CB is not the best choice. Perhaps more of a "transitional" iron would be best. I will say that the TM TP CB is quite forgiving. I would however recommend something like an AP2, Apex CF16, PSI, etc. It is a transition from a GI iron to a CB-ish iron, and would probably be a good compromise between a smaller, better-player iron, and still packing in a lot of forgiveness. If money is no object, the PXG stuff sounds just like what you're looking for.

Appreciate it. Im in my 2nd year played traditional CBs. With Traditional lofts. Got some extra money and looking into irons and have realized the bigger irons with strong lofts aren't fitting my eye. However, I am still a 15 cap so Im trying to see if there is something like I've been playing but maybe more forgiving. Someone at my club told me to look at the S55s

Appreciate it. Im in my 2nd year played traditional CBs. With Traditional lofts. Got some extra money and looking into irons and have realized the bigger irons with strong lofts aren't fitting my eye. However, I am still a 15 cap so Im trying to see if there is something like I've been playing but maybe more forgiving. Someone at my club told me to look at the S55s

Completely understand. I am not sure about forgiveness, but the Titleist CB's are to my eye the best looking. I do not know about performance as I try to get as much forgiveness as my eyes can handle, which for me is the AP2's. S55's do not look as good to my eye, but that's totally a preference thing. I will echo the above posts and say that you will probably get the malt forgiveness from the Bridgestones compared to the size of them. Once again, if money is no object, the PXG 0311T sounds exactly what you're looking for. Never hit them, but reviews seem to say they are much more forgiving than their streamlined appearance would suggest.

Completely understand. I am not sure about forgiveness, but the Titleist CB's are to my eye the best looking. I do not know about performance as I try to get as much forgiveness as my eyes can handle, which for me is the AP2's. S55's do not look as good to my eye, but that's totally a preference thing. I will echo the above posts and say that you will probably get the malt forgiveness from the Bridgestones compared to the size of them. Once again, if money is no object, the PXG 0311T sounds exactly what you're looking for. Never hit them, but reviews seem to say they are much more forgiving than their streamlined appearance would suggest.

Ha unfortunately money is definitely is an object. Two irons that have stood out on reviews are Wilson V4 and Bridgestone. I see Titliest as awesome looking but also a little high in price. Your responses have helped. That was why i started the thread wanted to hear some opinions. I guess I should have called it "Players irons for the mid-capper" lol

Given this description I would definitely recommend at least trying the Hogan PTx irons - $20 gets you 2 clubs for a month. They are really good irons that seem to fit what you are looking for.

test drive the Bridgestone j15 CB and then the Bridgestone j15 driving forged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest the test drive programs too. The Hogan PTx and the Bridgestone J15 CB's. You'll likely see a little more forgiveness out of the Hogan's.

For those guys saying the J15 Cb, have you guys hit the Apex CF16? He asked for most forgiving and while I like both sets and have both sets, there is a stark difference in forgiveness between the two.

I love my Mizuno jpx 850 forged irons! They're geared towards the mid to low handicapper. My buddy plays the S55's and absolutely loves them.

Srixon Z545

Not sure if these would be too large to your eye but the Ping I series sounds like they might be a possibility. I've only had the Hopkins in hand once but from what I remember, those heads are just about the same size as my i25s.

Apex Pro takes my vote. Look like a CB from the top line, but so many more benefits once contact is made.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I love my Mizuno jpx 850 forged irons! They're geared towards the mid to low handicapper. My buddy plays the S55's and absolutely loves them.

Totally agree on the 850F. I think I hit about 5 shots toe side out on the chrome yesterday and was amazed with the result. I've had this set for awhile and have seen it before but was a little rusty yesterday and it was 1st time I've done it multiple times in same round so it really stuck out. Absolutely still in love with these clubs.

Last edited:
For those guys saying the J15 Cb, have you guys hit the Apex CF16? He asked for most forgiving and while I like both sets and have both sets, there is a stark difference in forgiveness between the two.

I didn't lump the cf16 in his category. cf16 pro yes, which I didn't find very forgiving so didn't mention.

Srixon Z545
Seconded. I've had Mizuno MP-25, Apex, and these. Z545 are the best of the three when talking of distance and forgiveness.

Love my Z745s, but the 545s will be more forgiving and they have a surprisingly non-GI look IMO. Another iron(s) I'd look at would be the Bridgestone J38/40 DPC. They have a thin top line for a nice player look, thinner sole, and feel good almost anywhere on the face. They will have a head size similar to the JPX 850 forged but to me, they are a much nicer, more consistent feeling iron.

Not sure if these would be too large to your eye but the Ping I series sounds like they might be a possibility. I've only had the Hopkins in hand once but from what I remember, those heads are just about the same size as my i25s.

I have been looking at the i. The internet reviews seem off the charts and they seem to be pretty medium sized. Do you like the CFS shafts?

Love my Z745s, but the 545s will be more forgiving and they have a surprisingly non-GI look IMO. Another iron(s) I'd look at would be the Bridgestone J38/40 DPC. They have a thin top line for a nice player look, thinner sole, and feel good almost anywhere on the face. They will have a head size similar to the JPX 850 forged but to me, they are a much nicer, more consistent feeling iron.

Would you classify the 745s as very small and compact. These have intrigued me.

Back