Great Big Bertha vs. M1 vs. Cobra King LTD vs. Cobra F6

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Considering getting myself fitted for a driver for the first time. I currently use the Cobra Fly Z in stock R shaft but I wasn't fitted for it. I play at around a 20 with a swing speed in the high 80's-low 90's. I'm pretty confident that the R flex is the right fit for me. Just finding the right head and shaft combination to get better off the tee is key.

A forgiving driver is pretty key. I hear the GBB is really forgiving. I sort of feel that the M1 and Cobra King LTD may be a bit too much club for me as a high handicap player. I'm sort of looking forward to the F6 release but I have a feeling the F6 will actually equate more to the Fly Z + than the stock Fly Z I play now.

I'll also mention that I am left handed so demo clubs can be hard to come by at times. I shouldn't have any issues with finding a GBB to hit or an M1 but finding lefty Cobra clubs to demo could be a bit tricky. I'm not sure I've seen a King LTD available to demo in LH and it may take a bit of time for the F6 to make its way to Golfsmith once it is released.

From general experience, which one of these would be most likely to be a good fit for me? I hadn't given it much thought recently but I'm starting to believe the GBB might be the strongest choice based upon reviews I have seen.

If you are going to be at the THP Event in Ohio next year, you can test all of those on the FlightScope at the range and demo them on the course.

High capper with a slower swing speed here as well. I have hit the m1 and the King. The m1 is my favorite driver to hit. Every time I hit it in a simulator it is awesome. The king wasn't bad at all for me, I am a regular flex guy and the demo driver was a stiff shaft but it still was super solid. These would be the only 2 clubs that could replace my fly z right now.
The gbb has such rave reviews on here so u know it must be really good.
I talked to a guy tonight at my local golf shop and he said that I should wait for the f6 to come out because he thought it would fit me really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to be at the THP Event in Ohio next year, you can test all of those on the FlightScope at the range and demo them on the course.
I'll try to make it this year. I just joined the Albatross Club tonight. Once I saw that it help benefit the Humane Society it was a no brainer for me.

Left handed will be tough...but you have a great selection in mind...my favorite is the GBB at the moment.

Left handed will be tough...but you have a great selection in mind...my favorite is the GBB at the moment.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to give the GBB a swing. I'm pretty sure my local shops should be able to have a lefty for me to try. the Golf Galaxy has a fully dedicated Callaway bay so they should have a lefty head for me to give a spin. I may have to get in this weekend and see if I can give it a swing.

They're all great drivers and you probably couldn't go wrong with any of them. My advice is to try your hardest to hit them as well as anything else you can before buying though. I've had clubs that in theory should have been perfect for me and I absolutely wanted them, but they just didn't perform for me and I ended up getting something that wasn't even on my radar, simply because it outperformed everything else.

Solid solid solid thread and homepage review on the GBB that might be worth checking out, also a rather interesting discussion on the m1 here somewhere too. I'll actually have the F6 in hand for review starting this weekend as well so there should be more info on it coming out very soon.

I've hit the GBB and m1 and both are solid heads, but also pretty different in terms of what they offer. Of those two the GBB will be the most forgiving (best at keeping ball speeds on misses), the m1 for me didn't retain speeds as well but it was lower spinning and launching.

I'm all about forgiveness in a driver with my miss being lateral on the face and the GBB hasn't been touched there yet this season, that said I'm really eager to get going with the F6 because cobra has been on a roll lately.

I am a fan of the GBB and love the forgiveness. I hit the m1 at a demo day and I think there is some good forgiveness across the face and may not be what you consider too much club but rather finding a good combo in shaft/head. I havent hit the cobra yet but Canadan saw some good results on mishits. The f6 has the f6+ which could be more like fly z+ and the f6 which would probably be more like the fly z

i think you have some good choices and none of them are bad drivers, it will be about finding what works best for you.

My ss is fairly close to yours - mid 80's right now. I went with the M1. I wanted to love the GBB, but it just didn't work for me. In the interest of fairness, I didn't get fit for either. I haven't had any issues with forgiveness in the M1 at all. The best thing for me was that the M1 was available in 12' loft before any adjustments. For some reason, I notice face angles and it effects me. Weird, I know. The other thing is the M1 is the coolest looking driver I have seen in a long time - so if 2 clubs were equal, that would probably be the tie breaker!

As stated above though - best idea is to get fit!

I'd personally take a long hard look at the King LTD. If you do some Googling you can find analysis of the massive CG difference that driver has from every other driver on the market. The Cliff's Notes version is that it has a combo of low spin and high MOI that you can't get anywhere else. Imagine the M1 and G30 had a space baby and you're on the right track.

I'm 99% sure it's going to be my next driver. I just want to get a shaft fitting before pulling the trigger.

If you go M1 or GBB, definitely get a shaft fitting. Especially with the M1, getting the correct shaft seems to be a major factor in people loving it or not getting along with it.

I'd personally take a long hard look at the King LTD. If you do some Googling you can find analysis of the massive CG difference that driver has from every other driver on the market. The Cliff's Notes version is that it has a combo of low spin and high MOI that you can't get anywhere else. Imagine the M1 and G30 had a space baby and you're on the right track.

I'm 99% sure it's going to be my next driver. I just want to get a shaft fitting before pulling the trigger.

If you go M1 or GBB, definitely get a shaft fitting. Especially with the M1, getting the correct shaft seems to be a major factor in people loving it or not getting along with it.
No need to Google. Ton of info and a full (and insanely detailed) review from Canadan right here.

I will have to say that I got to hit a GBB at Golfsmith during my lunch break today and I thought it felt amazing. I didn't get any launch monitor time and only got about 10 swings with it but it seems very promising. The ball speeds coming off the head were really good for me. It was a 9* head set at neutral with the weight at full draw. I would assume I would be fit into a 10.5 when it comes down to it.

If I was you I would go the f6 route. My guess at your swing speed you do no really need a super low spin driver like the king. I have read that some are finding the king to be low launching, seems it might be too low spin for some. I think it is a awesome driver. Much better on looks alone than the m1. However I look forward to hitting the f6. Cobra makes the best drivers period right now. I wonder if the f6 will be that much different than fly z also, though the stock shaft and list of no cost shaft upgrades on the f6 is way better than fly z.

If I was you I would go the f6 route. My guess at your swing speed you do no really need a super low spin driver like the king. I have read that some are finding the king to be low launching, seems it might be too low spin for some. I think it is a awesome driver. Much better on looks alone than the m1. However I look forward to hitting the f6. Cobra makes the best drivers period right now. I wonder if the f6 will be that much different than fly z also, though the stock shaft and list of no cost shaft upgrades on the f6 is way better than fly z.

So much more than SS comes I to play with drivers which is why so many on here recommend people get fit.

So much more than SS comes I to play with drivers which is why so many on here recommend people get fit.
A lot of truth in this statement. We all swing it differently, speed is just one of many variables.

I played the Fly Z with great results... I switched to the F6 and I will say the shaft change made a huge difference. I demo'd the stock matix and rogue 60 and the rogue 60 was on avg 30yds further and much much less spin than the stock matrix.

I also had a GBB for a while. I liked it but didn't love it. But it was an impulse buy that might worked out if I had bothered to get fitted.

Assuming you are able to demo and get fitted, I don't think you can go wrong with the F6.

Back