Help - what is going on!?

parteeanimal

Reaction score
Handicap
This past Sunday got an invite to play a round with a buddy. Front 9 was the best of my life. I was 2 over. Approach shots, driver, putter all was clicking or at least not missing huge. Felt smooth and in control. We make the turn and at the end of 18, I end up shooting an 85!? Still one of my better rounds, but 11 over on the back? Figured it may have got in to my head that I had a legit chance to break 80. Go and play 2 other times this past week and shot a 93 and 110? Swing feels like I've never held a golf club. All my shots are going sky high or a huge chunk.

And for the icing on the cake, my driver snapped where the shaft meets the club. This week has tested my love for the game. PLEASE help on how to go from playing the best 9 of my life to not even knowing how to swing. ANY HELP OR WORDS OF ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED!

- Brandon from TX

You carry the handicap of guy that should be pleased with an 85 and expect to shoot in the 90s. Temper your expectations and just know that you're going to play to that level until you make serious improvements

For the last month or two I have been shooting mid to high 80's consistently. I have been super pumped with my improvements. I was in shock when I was rocking 2 over through 9. I am less disappointed with the score, I am freaked out that now my swing feels completely lost!!

Perhaps take a moment to reconfirm all your fundamentals - grip, posture, alignment, ball position, etc.

After that, when this happens to me it's usually that I've unintentionally abandoned some core element(s) of the / my swing - shoulder turn, maintaining spine angle, etc. Having an existing relationship with an instructor is invaluable here, you can get straightened out quickly.

When you are in the mid to low 20s handicap range you have to try to stay even keel with your game. Dont get to high after the low 80's round, dont get too upset over the high 90's round. Just know that inconsistencies happen and this game is not easy. Keep at it

Good thought. Grip felt funky, kept shuffling my feet, the take away, and off balance. I will hit up the coach I have seen a few times to see if we can get this smoothed out. Now on to searching for a new driver. :)

Perhaps take a moment to reconfirm all your fundamentals - grip, posture, alignment, ball position, etc.

After that, when this happens to me it's usually that I've unintentionally abandoned some core element(s) of the / my swing - shoulder turn, maintaining spine angle, etc. Having an existing relationship with an instructor is invaluable here, you can get straightened out quickly.

For awhile there, I was all over the place with my scores. 82 one day, 92 or more the next. Once I took lessons and focused on the basics, I became much more consistent and could rely on a certain score no matter where I played. Just keep working, you will get there.

I understand. How I can play is not always how I play. But that inconsistency is also fundamentally part of my game. In golf consistency and I are still dating and taking the whole relationship thing slowly. Yesterday we had a big blow up fight, and we have some work to do to like each other again. :angry:

i wonder if the score started getting into your head and affected your focus. Lord knows it's happened to me. when you're playing better than normal, sometimes it's good to slow down a bit, take in the views around you and think about things other than golf until it's time to hit your next shot. i tried to do that in my round last week where i put up a pb. it worked for 16 holes lol :)

Agree with CAE. You likely began pressing thinking more about your final score and lost being in the moment of every shot. I will usually check my score at the turn but if I have posted a good front then I don't check again until I finish the round. Still an 85 is a good round for your handicap (and mine as well). If you would have shot 42 and 43 would you have been disappointed?

i wonder if the score started getting into your head and affected your focus. Lord knows it's happened to me. when you're playing better than normal, sometimes it's good to slow down a bit, take in the views around you and think about things other than golf until it's time to hit your next shot. i tried to do that in my round last week where i put up a pb. it worked for 16 holes lol :)

Very true words here! Sometimes it's best to get out of your own way, however that be.

Golf is hard. Drink a bourbon and get back at it when you wake up.

We've all been there. You just have to get comfortable shooting low.

This was my thought. I used to keep track of my score and realize I was only 2 over or whatever after 7 holes and on my way to a new personal best, then would inevitably tighten up and go double/double to end 9 and throw it away.

At this point I rarely keep track of my score until I finish with 18. I usually have a pretty decent idea of where my score is but focusing on having a good time and the next shot keeps me from worrying about the overall and trying to hit a target score over the next 4-5 holes and screwing the pooch.

Yeah, seldom does the improvement curve go straight up for a golfer. Mine certainly didn't. The 82 I shot 5 or 6 years ago improved my personal best by 6 or 7 strokes at the time. Came on a day when conditions were easy and my swing was ok. I've had a lot of mid 80's rounds since then and rarely over 90, 91. Then a little over a month ago, everything fell apart, shot a 98, then a 95 & 93. The course isn't that hard but my confidence was shot.

Had a couple good practice sessions at the range. Slowed things down a bit and got back on track 87, 85, 85, then last Sunday the easiest 82 I ever imagined. And in windy conditions. My playing partners all shot over their averages.

Speaking of, one of my friends started playing about 5 years ago. He improved pretty steadily may have even broken 90 a time or two last year. Now he's in a funk. Not even sniffing the 90's... He can't figure out why but its all about pressure and pressing.

such is the inconsistent life of 20+ capper. Heck its even that of me. But heck, even low cappers come in two forms. There is the steady Freddie or the wild willy types. Same game but two different ways of being at the same level.

Your plus 11 is probably normal for you .....no? in fact maybe even a tad better than normal. So actually you had one crazy great 9 and one better than average 9. In the end a great round :)

It happens, as soon as you start to think about it, it is over. Ask me how I know :banghead:

OK so what should the game plan be to get back in to it? I've taken the whole week off so I've ignored golf for the week.

Should I hit the driving range? Just go out and play? Thanks for all the input and motivation.

Just go out and play and have fun. Try to remember what you did right when you went low. Focus on process, the score will take care of itself. Winning also takes some getting used to.

Back