Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

These have finally arrived in Thailand, 3 iron to PW. I was in the big box store last week and was told maybe next month, popped in today and there they were on the rack, with NS 980 regular shafts. The price was 29,000 Baht which is around 900 USD, however that had been crossed through but the new promotion price was not displayed, the actual display tag had the 945 details not the 545. They had a set of 545's with Graphite shafts which had a 5,000 Baht (155USD reduction) which is pretty normal when new clubs arrive. In hand I'm not to sure if I prefer the looks of them over my Apex. Fortunately my Grand daughter was playing up so I didn't ask about demo'ing them, yet.

Ok i got about 4 hours in with these on Saturday, little warm up of about 35 balls, then played 9, still had some free time so got back on the range with a large bucket (75-80 balls) and hit some more.

Looks - (8.5/10) These things shine, just about the right blend of top line, blade length, small amount of offset, and after about 150 balls off the PW,9,8, and 7 faces still look new.

Feel - (9/10) Purely powerful when flushed, not harsh when missed

Forgiveness - (8/10) Still need to get these on the lie board, so this could improve even more . Toe hits loose about 5-10%, but still fly straight or slight draw.

Distance - (7.5/10) With the two piece construction, stronger lofts vs Adams CB3, +1/2 inch and shaft better suited for my swing i expected some distance gains, i have not seen that yet, but with only 9 holes there is much more testing to do. I would like to get these on a GC2 and hit them side by side with my CB3s.

There are still three things that i think will change my ratings above for the better, and that is to get on the lie board as these may be 1 degree upright for me, i am in the middle of some swing tweaks, and the grips(ribbed) feel awful to me.

Great stuff golfdawg. If they don't work out for you I'll be happy to take them off your hands

Great stuff golfdawg. If they don't work out for you I'll be happy to take them off your hands

I will be sure to keep you in the loop.
One thing i forgot to mention, is i had not even tried the 4 iron on the range yet, but pulled it on a par five after a bad drive, and a chip out from the trees, i was 210-215 to middle of the green according to my Bushnell watch.

Did not really have a shot at the hole as it takes a dead left and the green sits behind some trees but plenty of fairway right to place the shot for a pitch in. Easy smooth swing, and it felt as i described before purely powerful, mid-high flight and ended pin high 5-10 yards right of green, right where i was lined up, best i can figure it was 205-210 carry.

I will be sure to keep you in the loop.
One thing i forgot to mention, is i had not even tried the 4 iron on the range yet, but pulled it on a par five after a bad drive, and a chip out from the trees, i was 210-215 to middle of the green according to my Bushnell watch.

Did not really have a shot at the hole as it takes a dead left and the green sits behind some trees but plenty of fairway right to place the shot for a pitch in. Easy smooth swing, and it felt as i described before purely powerful, mid-high flight and ended pin high 5-10 yards right of green, right where i was lined up, best i can figure it was 205-210 carry.

Funny thing is I added that set to my ebay watch list mere hours before you snagged them.

Funny thing is I added that set to my ebay watch list mere hours before you snagged them.

I was surprised to see them up there, and with the KBS tours to boot at +1/2 inch which is usually my normal set up as far as length.

Had a chance to check out Wicked Cool Bearded Man's set of these irons today. I only took a few swings with them, but really enjoyed the look of these clubs behind the ball as well as the weighting. Feel is always subjective, but these clubs were pretty soft when I hit the ball in the middle of the clubface, it was pretty nice. Distance was in the ballpark of my current set of irons, even though WCBM's set has shafts that are stiffer than I'd normally play. I wouldn't have a problem playing these irons based on the feel and looks, but I would be more interested if the PW wasn't 44 degrees and they made a gap wedge as well for this set.

Had a chance to check out Wicked Cool Bearded Man's set of these irons today. I only took a few swings with them, but really enjoyed the look of these clubs behind the ball as well as the weighting. Feel is always subjective, but these clubs were pretty soft when I hit the ball in the middle of the clubface, it was pretty nice. Distance was in the ballpark of my current set of irons, even though WCBM's set has shafts that are stiffer than I'd normally play. I wouldn't have a problem playing these irons based on the feel and looks, but I would be more interested if the PW wasn't 44 degrees and they made a gap wedge as well for this set.

There is always the option of doing a combo set with the 745 giving you a 46* PW or having the PW bent

There is always the option of doing a combo set with the 745 giving you a 46* PW or having the PW bent

Still doesn't solve the gap wedge issue, and I don't think I'm a good enough ballstriker to do the combo set.

I'm a bit confused at why a company in 2014 would produce an iron set that it promoted as "distance oriented" and not have a gap wedge available.

What is your gap wedge now.

I can see not making a GW as most have non set wedges for that option.

Still doesn't solve the gap wedge issue, and I don't think I'm a good enough ballstriker to do the combo set.

I'm a bit confused at why a company in 2014 would produce an iron set that it promoted as "distance oriented" and not have a gap wedge available.

Most will just play a 50* wedge and be ok with it there.

RTX 2.0 CB would fit lethally into that gap spot.

What is your gap wedge now.

I can see not making a GW as most have non set wedges for that option.

Same as yours. Apparently, you and me aren't the majority.

Most will just play a 50* wedge and be ok with it there.

RTX 2.0 CB would fit lethally into that gap spot.

I'd have to bend the PW back to 45 or 46 to get that to work, I think.

It's silly for me to be pondering these anyways, I can't drop $1000 on another iron set anytime soon.

Same as yours. Apparently, you and me aren't the majority.

I'd have to bend the PW back to 45 or 46 to get that to work, I think.

It's silly for me to be pondering these anyways, I can't drop $1000 on another iron set anytime soon.

I guess my point was if you like a set or irons and they work for you, don't discount or eliminate them bc it lacks a GW in the set.

I guess my point was if you like a set or irons and they work for you, don't discount or eliminate them bc it lacks a GW in the set.

I get that. I played the DPC irons for a while and they didn't have a GW. I'm just saying it's my preference to have a GW that is part of the set, and most companies are moving in that direction.

I get that. I played the DPC irons for a while and they didn't have a GW. I'm just saying it's my preference to have a GW that is part of the set, and most companies are moving in that direction.

I'm with you. I'd much rather have that set GW at this point in time. Not a complete deal breaker for me, but its something I certainly have payed more attention to the last 3-4 years

I'm with you. I'd much rather have that set GW at this point in time. Not a complete deal breaker for me, but its something I certainly have payed more attention to the last 3-4 years

I'd tend to agree, but I have to say the RTX CB is about as good a stand in as you can have for a set GW. I would love to get my hands on the GW for comparison though.

I'd tend to agree, but I have to say the RTX CB is about as good a stand in as you can have for a set GW. I would love to get my hands on the GW for comparison though.

That was the ticket for me, went with 48, and may bend it to 49 down the road once i get a good idea of distances

I get the desire for the set AW. I've mentioned it a few times as well. I'll say that playing with the RTX CB has been just as effective for me as far as I can tell. Gaps work out like I'd expect and I still have a little help on misses. No instances where I was left standing there thinking an outcome would have been different with a set wedge, but again - I get the desire there.

I suspect it has to do with the scoring philosophy that CG and Srixon employ. They've invested quite a bit into the < 125 yard concept, Pelz, and wedge fitting. Whether that's right or wrong for the individual I don't know, but it makes sense that they are practicing what they preach with what I'd call a performance line (as opposed to a max forgiveness platform).

Hawk, what was your setup for the Morgan Cup? Did you go 48 CB?

Yes I did - then 52/56/60, but I'm a Pelzer. I could see a 50/55/60 (or variation of it) as well if you weren't as interested in that type of system.

That was the ticket for me, went with 48, and may bend it to 49 down the road once i get a good idea of distances

That's exactly what I'm playing. 48 bent to 49. Follow that with 53/57. Gaps are just about perfect.

I would likely go 50 bent to 49, then 54, and either a 58 or 60 bent to 59.

That would leave room for Driver/Fairway/hybrid at the top of the bag.

I get the desire for the set AW. I've mentioned it a few times as well. I'll say that playing with the RTX CB has been just as effective for me as far as I can tell. Gaps work out like I'd expect and I still have a little help on misses. No instances where I was left standing there thinking an outcome would have been different with a set wedge, but again - I get the desire there.

I suspect it has to do with the scoring philosophy that CG and Srixon employ. They've invested quite a bit into the < 125 yard concept, Pelz, and wedge fitting. Whether that's right or wrong for the individual I don't know, but it makes sense that they are practicing what they preach with what I'd call a performance line (as opposed to a max forgiveness platform).

Seems to be a trend, but also a trend is we are seeing 2-3 degrees stronger lofts as opposed to 6-10 years ago. This years gap wedge is the 9 iron of 5 years ago. I liked the Gap in my CB3s as it was my 115-125 club and was used 2-3 times a round. Srixon/Cleveland has a business model, and that Srixon irons and Cleveland wedges, so no GW in the set makes sense.

I would likely go 50 bent to 49, then 54, and either a 58 or 60 bent to 59.

That would leave room for Driver/Fairway/hybrid at the top of the bag.

If these irons work out for me after the little tweaks i need to make, i will order a 3 iron if i can as i don't carry a hybrid, but my wedges would be very close to your make up.

Yea unless you are invested in a 4° gap setup and use it for a reason (like me) I don't see why you wouldn't do something like that Joe. Frees up a club and gives you plenty of options for wedges too.

Back