Help me get off the tee!!!

jrex1434

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling lately getting decent drives off this year, I get off the tee but I end up ballooning the drive and I lose all distance. I have tried to lower my tee height, but I then find myself hitting the ground before the ball. What are some suggestions to bring my ball height down so I can get better distance off the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been struggling lately getting decent drives off this year, I get off the tee but I end up ballooning the drive and I lose all distance. I have tried to lower my tee height, but I then find myself hitting the ground before the ball. What are some suggestions to bring my ball height down so I can get better distance off the tee.

This sounds way too familiar to the problem I had for a long time. I found out that it was a matter of focus... I was focused on the ball, and not the target! When I made that change, that problem went away immediately. Swing to where you want the ball to go, rather than try to hit the ball. Hope this helps.

Instead of lowering your ball height you can move the ball forward in inch or so in your stance. You wouldn't hit it quite as much on the upswing which should give it lower height.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We need to get you away from the top of your club face and the dreaded pop up. It sounds like your right shoulder is dropping on the down swing. What I'd like to see is a level swing.

The club head makes its pass through the impact zone level to the ground. The longer the better. You're not hitting down or up, just level. The top quarter of the ball should be above the crown.

This only happens is spine angle is maintained and shoulders stay level relative to your spine. Think of trying to hit a driver off the deck. In order to get maximum face contact, the club head must be level in relation to the turf. If you're too up on the swing, you'll top it. To down and you'll drive it into the turf.

Thanks for your info guys, I'm going to have to hit the range again and work on keeping my shoulders up. I have noticed in the past I do what I call a "Home Run" swing where I try to get under it. This really makes more sense now. Thank you much guys

Along with what Tadashi said, I also played around with moving my tee around in my stance. What worked for some didn't always work for me. I also took some lessons to help out.

Some good tips in this thread.

To be honest you would have to show your swing to us to get a more accurate diagnosis...

Instead of you possibly dropping your right shoulder it could be that your entire takeaway from the ball isn't low and flat enough to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

To be honest you would have to show your swing to us to get a more accurate diagnosis...

Instead of you possibly dropping your right shoulder it could be that your entire takeaway from the ball isn't low and flat enough to begin with.

Fwiw, the take away isn't causing this issue. It's all about the delivery.

Fwiw, the take away isn't causing this issue. It's all about the delivery.
I agree with this... however by delivery I assume you mean the downswing and impact area. When you improper takeaway it means more adjustments to get into the correct position these areas, meaning more variables. We all know the less variables in golf the better.

I agree with this... however by delivery I assume you mean the downswing and impact area. When you have an improper takeaway it means more adjustments to get into the correct position in these areas, meaning more variables. We all know the less variables in golf the better.

Why does the takeaway have to be low and flat? That's a style, not a fundamental.

Why does the takeaway have to be low and flat? That's a style, not a fundamental.
I disagree completely however, I find a lot of golf talk around "fixing problems" and "figuring out what's wrong" with a stroke is often misunderstood through description. What ones is trying to portray, may not be receive the same way.

If you look at almost any driver instruction video you will find a common sugessestion is to ensure you club is not lifting vertically right after the start if you takeaway. The benefit of taking it out low, in my own words, is mostly to help extend the club to its maximum centripetal circle / arc, which ultimately means more club head speed through impact. It helps to not pop the ball up either in my experience. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this... however by delivery I assume you mean the downswing and impact area. When you improper takeaway it means more adjustments to get into the correct position these areas, meaning more variables. We all know the less variables in golf the better.

I try not to focus on pieces of the swing that need assistance. It's easier for golfers to assimilate one or two tips.

Back