Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

Thanks for the info Mike. Would you just go Heavenwood and then 5I?

Yeah but adding another hybo too more than likely

Gotcha, I have been hit and miss as well with the Alt4. I tried the 588 H3 and 5887w and those are too close, at least for me.

Can't hit the woods so I pulled them. Put back my M4 mashie and remember why I loved those hybrids. Going to carry 12 clubs for the time being, or Go to a 48,52,56,60 wedge set up.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

I have moved back to a 3 wedge system, replacing the 4 wedge system I have been using. I removed the 54* and replaced the 50* with a 52*. In place of the extra wedge, I added the 3 iron back into the bag. I like having more options at the top end, being able to go low and run and high and drop if need be. I am trying to focus on playing longer courses to prepare to qualify for the US Mid Am next year.

I like to be more creative with my gap and lob wedge so the 54* rarely saw any action so the move wasnt a big deal. Today I teed off on three par 4's in the 330-350 range with the 3 iron and found better distances into the green so adding it is already showing benefits.

Figure I'll put this in here rather than the pondering thread.

Seriously pondering sticking with a "tweener" iron set more long term simply because they are what I enjoy playing the most. I understand more than most the forgiveness factor given up from, say, my Apex, but honestly sometimes I just don't care and I want to play something more demanding just because.

Dunno, pure bag setup thoughts there as I would be giving up about 1/2 club distance wise through a set.

Seriously pondering sticking with a "tweener" iron set more long term simply because they are what I enjoy playing the most. I understand more than most the forgiveness factor given up from, say, my Apex, but honestly sometimes I just don't care and I want to play something more demanding just because.

Dunno, pure bag setup thoughts there as I would be giving up about 1/2 club distance wise through a set.

More of a game enhancement persay?

More of a game enhancement persay?

That Vapor Pro-Combo, M3, etc type of iron, yeah. Hell, even the S55's fell into that for me (though I would like wider soles than those).

Just something I feel like playing because I believe I can. Apex will go nowhere, and I will be adding Alts back this winter, but I like options for when I feel like this.

I'm feeling exactly the same dude. Altitudes did nothing for me yesterday and I actually enjoy playing the 845's more at this time.

Funny funny thing.

I'm feeling exactly the same dude. Altitudes did nothing for me yesterday and I actually enjoy playing the 845's more at this time.

Funny funny thing.

Yep. I'm a full believer in forgiveness, a full believer.

But, sometimes I just enjoy playing something else. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

That Vapor Pro-Combo, M3, etc type of iron, yeah. Hell, even the S55's fell into that for me (though I would like wider soles than those).

Just something I feel like playing because I believe I can. Apex will go nowhere, and I will be adding Alts back this winter, but I like options for when I feel like this.

I'm in the same boat dude only coming in from the other direction. I want a little more forgiveness compared to the S3 pro's and I think I could gain 1/2 club of distance. Cobra served me well but I know it's time to move on.

I'm in the same boat dude only coming in from the other direction. I want a little more forgiveness compared to the S3 pro's and I think I could gain 1/2 club of distance. Cobra served me well but I know it's time to move on.

You can get the bio cells super cheaper and the amp cells even cheaper

I really need to find a club for those 120 yard shots. PW is 130-135 and the 54 is 110 at most. Tried the 50 X-forged but I am only seeing max distance at about 115. Gonna try the set GW in the m3 and see what happens there.

I just find myself in that distance to often and need to find a club that works. The top of my bag is pretty much set.

I really need to find a club for those 120 yard shots. PW is 130-135 and the 54 is 110 at most. Tried the 50 X-forged but I am only seeing max distance at about 115. Gonna try the set GW in the m3 and see what happens there.

I just find myself in that distance to often and need to find a club that works. The top of my bag is pretty much set.

That GW is wonderful.

That GW is wonderful.
Not sure how well I will like the s300 in it but may throw the Hi-rev shaft in it that's in my 50. Maybe I just need new shafts for my wedges. Go with the Kbs tours instead of the Hi-revs

Set gap wedge is a great option.

As for me, My bag is pretty top heavy right now. Probably going to go 4/5 wood and find a club to sit just a bit longer than my 4 hybrid currently (210, maybe just try and bend current one down a degree or 2?), while going to a 50* set wedge, 54*/58* setup for next season. I can't hit 60*, but my bunker play has struggled without one so 58* seems like a good compromise.

So I am pondering a new set of irons and I feel like I have a very versatile idea.
I am sticking with the G30 Driver and 3 Wood. I have a 20* Adams Pro Hybrid.
For wedges, I have a 52* and 58* Vokey SM5 and a 50, 54, and 58* Tour Preferred.

I am pondering a 2-4 iron set of MP-H5's and 5-PW set of MP-15.

The reason I am stoked is I have 3 different bags I can carry with these clubs.

For shorter courses or ones where wedges will be key, I can run this setup.
Driver, 3 Wood, 20* Hybrid, 4-PW and 50, 54 and 58* wedges.

For longer courses in temperate weather I have the following setup
Driver, 3 Wood, 20* Hybrid, 3-PW and 52 and 58* wedges.

For longer courses in windy or cold weather weather I have the following setup
Driver, 3 Wood, 2-PW and 52 and 58* wedges.

I really am liking that with the lofts of the new irons and the way the combo set blends I can build a multi-purpose setup.

So I am pondering a new set of irons and I feel like I have a very versatile idea.
I am sticking with the G30 Driver and 3 Wood. I have a 20* Adams Pro Hybrid.
For wedges, I have a 52* and 58* Vokey SM5 and a 50, 54, and 58* Tour Preferred.

I am pondering a 2-4 iron set of MP-H5's and 5-PW set of MP-15.

The reason I am stoked is I have 3 different bags I can carry with these clubs.

For shorter courses or ones where wedges will be key, I can run this setup.
Driver, 3 Wood, 20* Hybrid, 4-PW and 50, 54 and 58* wedges.

For longer courses in temperate weather I have the following setup
Driver, 3 Wood, 20* Hybrid, 3-PW and 52 and 58* wedges.

For longer courses in windy or cold weather weather I have the following setup
Driver, 3 Wood, 2-PW and 52 and 58* wedges.

I really am liking that with the lofts of the new irons and the way the combo set blends I can build a multi-purpose setup.

Sounds pretty damn fun/solid to me. REALLY want to hit the H5's and 15's myself. I like the amount of versatility there for you, I know its something you really really enjoy having.

Sounds pretty damn fun/solid to me. REALLY want to hit the H5's and 15's myself. I like the amount of versatility there for you, I know its something you really really enjoy having.

I really want to enjoy GI irons but after some review of my scores I always perform better with my players cavity irons. I love the fun of high launch straight irons but the scores ultimately dont reflect any improvement. I think I am just one of those #internetgolfers who performs when playing a bit more demanding set.

I really want to enjoy GI irons but after some review of my scores I always perform better with my players cavity irons. I love the fun of high launch straight irons but the scores ultimately dont reflect any improvement. I think I am just one of those #internetgolfers who performs when playing a bit more demanding set.

In the end, play what you like. Difference with you and others is you don't rationalize it, you embrace it. I can dig it mucho.

Yep, they're great irons, just like the set, but IMO a 4i is a 4i and will always be a demanding club, I can elevate it just fine, but its still a 4i. We are at a point where for most of us mere mortals, there is not reason to take advantage of a hybrid there, not everyone I know but for most. The 5i is fine, it just doesn't fit for what I want right now, still a long iron and if you struggle with elevating long irons off the deck, even the best irons out there (IMO like these are) won't help.

I'm there now with the most unlikely candidate, I've hit every hybrid I could get my hands on over the years and with the exception of the DHy I've never gotten along with them but I tried a Nike CPR I got at a garage sale and it became an instant love. I'm probably going to pull my 4i next time out.

my bag, straight forward and budget oriented.

Driver and fairway 10° and 16° I like where I'm at there, but ill upgrade someday

Hybrid 22° I use(d) a 4i off the tee several time at my course, not anymore. Don't think the CPR will leave my bag anytime soon.

Irons I'm not a big fan of them, I will be replacing next but budget is tight.

Wedges I use the Ovation S wedge for sand situations and 50-75 because I'm comfy with it. 52° for 75-110 yards and chipping around the green, the 60° is for everything inside 50 and sticky situations.

Putter Yes! Groove Tube. Its funky and it works and feels fantastic.

I have been trying to simplify my bag lately. I have essentially removed the long irons from my bag.

Driver: 11*
3h & 4h
5i-9i
PW and SW

Off the tees it is either Bertha or the 3 hybrid. If I have some room on the right side Bertha sees action. Otherwise the Adams 3H is pretty automatic for 250 yards or so. Off the deck 200 or so out the 3 and 4 hybrids do the trick. Only using 11 clubs now and don't really see any problem with it. If I did add anything it might be a 3W to gain a bit of extra distance off the tee. Maybe add a 54* wedge at the bottom at some point.

I have been trying to simplify my bag lately. I have essentially removed the long irons from my bag.

Driver: 11*
3h & 4h
5i-9i
PW and SW

Off the tees it is either Bertha or the 3 hybrid. If I have some room on the right side Bertha sees action. Otherwise the Adams 3H is pretty automatic for 250 yards or so. Off the deck 200 or so out the 3 and 4 hybrids do the trick. Only using 11 clubs now and don't really see any problem with it. If I did add anything it might be a 3W to gain a bit of extra distance off the tee. Maybe add a 54* wedge at the bottom at some point.

Love that simple set up. Especially considering the distance you get off the tee.

I'm moving towards the below setup. Might like a wood more in the 16 deg range, but we'll see.
Driver
4 wood 17
3 hybrid 19
4 - GW irons
54 and 58 wedges
Putter

Love that simple set up. Especially considering the distance you get off the tee.

Thanks buddy! I look in my bag and see too many options, and bad things happen. I need to know "this club is for this situation" which is why the 3 and 4 iron got kicked out of my bag. Now it is hybrids or reasonable irons. Made a huge difference.

Back