I'd give him another chance and put him on a cart with dax, after a few times with the rest of the group might just be what is needed to get things gelling.

I will offer to go buy myself if others are non smokers, I like to enjoy a cigar during the round and of course it really bothers some people to smell the cigar and I don't blame them. Now my regular group are smokers so it is no problem and we always cart up as needed.

Sounds like the guy is not very fun to play golf with so I would avoid him. Life is too short to play golf with people you don't like.

At my club, it's super common for a foursome to have 3 or even 4 carts because about 150 of the 400 members like me have their own cart and drive it to the course. There is a regular fivesome of retired guys that often go out with all 5 carts. They are alarming to new members until they realize they rarely take more than 3 hours to finish a round. I really enjoy playing in this 5 cart group - they all play ready golf and on every hole it's sort of a contest to not be the last one to the putting surface.

Most courses are going to make you pair up, it just makes sense. Like Smalls said, there are only so many carts and no need to put extra wear and tear on a cart if you don't have to. As for the other guy, who knows what was up with him, we can only guess. I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt and ask him again, but if he's an anti-social tool again....later guy.

Give him another shot, especially if he's reached out to express his interest and share the fact that he enjoyed it. Maybe he just enjoys his rounds differently than you guys and it may take a few times out to see what makes the guy tick... I've seen That many people can be different on the course than off.... And, he's new to the area? He may just be feeling things out, maybe more listening than butting in... Hard to know what the guy is really like after one round.. Give him another shot, if he's an outright dick, than end it but maybe you'll learn something new about him... The one cart thing, shouldn't be a red flag. I'm out there to enjoy my round, I don't really care how others want to enjoy theirs... Whatever makes it more comfortable and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with most here. You guys gave him a chance to meet some new people and he didn't make any effort. I wouldn't invite him out with you guys again.

I like riding alone but will pair up if asked. I like driving directly to my ball if everyone is in the fairway and be ready to hit the next shot. Some people are strange. Some insist on stopping the cart 10 yards away from the ball. I prefer the cart facing me where someone I used to play wanted the cart behind them. If i ride alone I can go directly to someones ball i spotted after tee off while the partners are going to the other shot. Hey as long as I am playing golf thats all that matters.

I don't think that I'd invite him again. I'm not terribly chatty, especially with new people, but I would never refuse to share a cart.

So we had a weird situation pop up two weekends ago while playing. I have a normal threesome that I play with each weekend and we've been searching for a consistent 4th to fill our group.

One of the guys in my group had gone out and been paired up as a twosome with a new member at the course and nothing seemed off according to my buddy Dax. So at the end of the round they exchanged numbers and Dax invited him out with us a couple of weeks ago.

Dax and I had been paired up in a cart and our normal 3rd guy also had his own cart. The three of us had hit some balls on the range to loosen up and I was asking if anyone has seen our 4th and no one had to this point. So we pull up to the putting green to roll a few balls and there is our 4th and he was in his own cart as well and now we've got 3 carts. We then get let know we are next on the tee and are asked by the cart guy to reduce down to two carts. Our 3rd guy grabs his stuff to load on with the new 4th and he says he wants his own cart and gives no reason as to why he wanted to ride alone and our 3rd jokingly asked did he forget to shower as he walked back to the other cart. To top it all off he was pretty much anti social the entire round.

How would you feel if this happened? Would you invite the guy back out? I mean if the cart guy asks you to reduce down to two carts, shouldn't you honor the request?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.....

We often in skins foursomes have two single on their own cart, but the course has plenty of carts and no one really cares.

Sounds like the guy is not very fun to play golf with so I would avoid him. Life is too short to play golf with people you don't like.

At my club, it's super common for a foursome to have 3 or even 4 carts because about 150 of the 400 members like me have their own cart and drive it to the course. There is a regular fivesome of retired guys that often go out with all 5 carts. They are alarming to new members until they realize they rarely take more than 3 hours to finish a round. I really enjoy playing in this 5 cart group - they all play ready golf and on every hole it's sort of a contest to not be the last one to the putting surface.
Having your own cart is completely different. But when people aren't pairing up and they are taking the course's carts, that's a problem.

Speaking as someone who has dealt in the past with almost crippling social anxiety(and got past it...mostly) if it's just someone dealing with anxiety being forced to share a cart with someone you don't know when you don't expect it can be really hard. To the point of ruining your enjoyment as you spend all your time thinking am I doing his right..am I offending...how should I act.. What will be thought if I act like this. If he went in prepared to share a cart ahead of time it might have gone a lot easier for him.

To say nothing for 15 holes is odd even for a social anxiety sufferer, but I'd give the guy one more chance and let him know ahead of time that you'll be sharing two carts. If he declines over it then it's no skin off your back and no need to try again.

If he accepts he's prepared for the situation ahead of time and in my mind more likely to open up and have fun and be a better roundmate.

Just my thoughts anyway!

Wouldn't phase me, could be all kinds of things going on with the 4th that we wouldn't or couldn't have any idea about.

this would get filed under the "meh, shoulder shrug" category in my book. bigger things in life to worry about.

I'm going to look at it from another, kind of personal point of view. I've suffered from severe anxiety for many years, sometimes when it's bad it's impossible to even look another human in the eye, but on a good day I can just come across as shy. More time I spend with people, the more I open up and become part of the banter and group. It may just be that I hated the thought of the guy grinding it out on the range by himself when he really wants to be included, but I say give him another shot. There's a chance that the guy is just an a$s, but if not then you could be doing him the world of good by including him next time.

Back