Was told my tee time was given away before the actual tee time...thoughts?

greg19

Reaction score
Handicap
Growing!
I posted this in the regional section and was asked to post this here to gauge others reactions to it. What do you guys think?

We had a 9:10 tee time. 2 of our guys were there at 8:45. Paid and got a bucket of range balls so they went to hit a loosen up. I get there around 9am, get my stuff together, go in and pay ( the women tells me that 3 other members have already checked in) and go to the starter and tell him we have a 9:10 tee time. He says, "Sorry, you're late and I gave your tee time away". I looked at my watch, show him, and say, "It's 9:08. He says, "You need to check in with me 15 minutes before tee time". I ask how could he give the 9:10 tee time away when it's not even 9:10 yet"?? My 9:10 tee time group (meaning the group that took MY spot) must have teed off around 9:05. He said we could wait and hope another group shows up but he wasn't going to let us play but we could always go to the other course and wait in line because no reservation were needed there. He said you can't just expect to show up and just get onto the Championship Course. I told him the other members have been here since 8:45, had paid and had been hitting range balls.

I can understand if we showed up at 9:25 and were actually late but 3/4's of my group were there and paid at 8:45! How can he cancel the 9:10 tee time when it's not even 9:10....and have that group that took our tee time tee off at least 5 minutes before the actual tee time. We showed up to the starter at our designated tee time (9:10) ready to tee off and were told you're out of luck. He the went on to ask my friend if it was his first time golfing because you never just show up at the course and not check in with the starter.

We played the other course..it sucked and the round sucked because of it. Well over a 5 hour round because of slow groups and just not fun because of how the day started

I would've teed off. You paid for a 9:10 tee time, walk up to the tee at 9:10 and tee off. What a 'championship course' douche.

I would have just walked over and teed it up. You paid, you were on time, and the rest of your group was there.

Did you say anything to the pro shop?

I would have walked back inside and demanded to talk to whoever was in charge. You paid for spot and we're there on time.

Wow. I don't even know what to say to that. It takes a lot to get me all riled up in public, but I might have lost it on that guy if he told me that.

I would have asked to talk to the GM that sounds like very bad customer service, I would have just gone a head and played made him get his boss to get me off the tee box. The only think is that sounds like you did not check in 15 min prior to your tee time but that you were so close that would be splinting hairs

I would have raised holy hell in the pro shop. If they expect you to be on the tee 15 minutes ahead of time, it damn well should have been mentioned at booking or at least in the pro shop, I'm assuming if your buddies had been told they would have told you to go straight to the tee when you arrived.

It's a load of crap, I would call back up there, and I would expect my next round to be comped, that was unacceptable behavior by the starter.

I would have just walked over and teed it up. You paid, you were on time, and the rest of your group was there.

Did you say anything to the pro shop?

There's really not a pro shop. Just 2 females manning a cash register hired by the city of boston

I would have asked to talk to the GM that sounds like very bad customer service, I would have just gone a head and played made him get his boss to get me off the tee box. The only think is that sounds like you did not check in 15 min prior to your tee time but that you were so close that would be splinting hairs

Nowhere does it state that checking in with the starter is required. There was nobody there besides the 2 starters and the 2 females running the register

I would have walked back inside and demanded to talk to whoever was in charge. You paid for spot and we're there on time.

At that point in time the starter was in charge.

I would have raised holy hell in the pro shop. If they expect you to be on the tee 15 minutes ahead of time, it damn well should have been mentioned at booking or at least in the pro shop, I'm assuming if your buddies had been told they would have told you to go straight to the tee when you arrived.

It's a load of crap, I would call back up there, and I would expect my next round to be comped, that was unacceptable behavior by the starter.

Exactly what I was thinking, to the letter!

Unless they expressly made it clear that "All parties in the group must be paid and checked in at least 15 minutes prior to your tee time." Then you have a legit reason to be upset, 100%!

I wish you would have had Troyefl with you...

This is completely unacceptable. I would not let it pass. I'd be speaking with a manager to express my happiness and I would expect a comped round.

....aaaaaaaand this is why golf is struggling. SMH

That's ridiculous. Would have been giving a few people a piece of my mind. I paid for my time I was there I time I damn well am going to play the course I paid for.

I replied in the other thread about this as well. The guys I played with aren't hardcore golfers, maybe getting out 3 or 4 times a season so this was kind of a big deal for them to take the day off from work. A comped round would just mean another missed day of work...basically losing money to golf at a place they're already unhappy with. Also to make things clear, the course we had reserved a tee time for 4 days in advance had just reopened after a 5 million dollar renovation. The other course, the one we were told to play, has been in a state of total neglect. I think goats would starve to death looking for grass on the tee boxes and fairways. It's truly a tale of 2 golf courses.

Some places are super picky about tee times, especially on busy days. However you were there before the actual tee time, so I would side with you. I wonder if they state you must check in 15 mins prior to the tee time anywhere? Usually if they are going to give your time to the group behind they ask someone in your group that is there earlier if that is OK.

If those times are correct that's BS. I would have demanded to talk to the Head Pro. Most I've met would never allow that to happen. If anything they have been overly accommodating. There are a few bad apples like anything else in life. No chance I would go back if they didn't make it right on the spot!

I would have asked for the money back. Then I would have yelled at my friends for not checking us in at a reasonable time. Everyone is to blame.

Wow, is he ever in the wrong. It is rare that I have a genuinely great interaction with a starter.

In this case I'd do 1 of two things:

Tee off and make him kick me off the course for teeing off on time, after paying for the round already (I'm assuming there's a huge price difference).

Or...

Walk back into the pro shop, demand my money back, and never go to this "championship course" with this championship douche of a starter.

Not sure I would've thought of this on the spot but it's very clear what I would've done after reading thru this and having the benefit of hindsight. I think you should have all teed off and told the starter to send the GM/Head Pro out to catch you guys on the course to discuss and have the starter also send out a marshall to hold up the group ahead of you as you all played through them. What a load of BS.

All I know is I would find the email address of the person in charge, send that email and make sure you have a link to this thread in there.

Was there a posted sign stating that you had to check in 15 minutes early? I've always lived by being on time is late. Sorry this occurred. I would have complained.

If you had all arrived right on time, I might would have been a little bit more understanding. But since 3/4 were there 30 minutes early, they should have at least been presented with the opportunity to go off and have you join them on the second tee.

Back