A Shaft for a Ping Cushin Putter? HELP ME

PingEye2Player

Reaction score
Handicap
I started on a project. Restoring this old Ping putter. I removed the shaft by drilling a small hole on the bottom and using a drift to push the ball bearing out. I know, Drill??!! I did freeze the putter and shaft for 12 hours and tried to remove it while adding heat to the head slowly, but no luck. So I drilled it.
Now I want a longer shaft. 32" over the 31 that was in it. My dilemma is that these putters use a bent shaft. Are these bent after the shaft is attached to the putter head? I assume so, to get the lie and loft correct. Can a normal golfsmith do this extreme of a bend.. accurately? And would it be possible that I attach the shaft and they bend it.
I was thinking of getting another Cushin putter and just using the shaft. They only run about $20 used.
What do you guys think?

BTW:
How do you attach images here? Can you browse, or do you have to use Url?

David

Last edited:
Success!!
I dug through one of my "spare parts" bag and found a similar shaft. I built a wooden form of the final radius, made a clamp system for it, heated the shaft and bent it. I did temper it again in some oil and polished the rainbow color out. I'm just waiting for the epoxy to dry right now. I managed to get it close to my newport2 of 71* loft measured on my old drafting table, lol. The lie is eye balled but that shouldn't be a problem adjusting once it starts knocking some balls around. I'll re-grip it tomorrow and hopefully try it out in the evening, after the Memorial. I'm excited! My first restoration of a club after 41 years of golf.
I'll try to get some pics posted.

David

Looking forward to seeing them.

Nice you found a shaft. You did right by freezing the head to pull it, but the heat needed to be minimal if at all. Post some pic's here or in the "putter restoration" thread.

Here's a couple pics of the head before I put it back together.

I was building this for my father, but we found his old Cushin so I'm trying to fit this to my swing. We both went to the practice green today and I got to hit this thing. Sorry, I forgot to bring my phone with me for some pics, but I'll get around to it. It's been a long time since I used a putter without an insert. The feedback took a while to get used to, but right away I loved how it tracked on long puts. The short ones had me fighting to keep it from wagging around. It is very toe heavy so I'll mess with the balance and see what happens. I am having a blast tinkering with it.
Oh, I put a slightly oversized grip on it, maybe that's what's helping my longer putts? I dunno, this is all new to me. But it's like finding a whole new hobby i itself.... seems a bit addicting too. ;)

Hoosier- I love what you did to the Anser head for Joe. If it wasn't for seeing that thread, I would never have done this. Your work is very inspiring. I have a couple other pings and I'll try freezing them later. I just gotta conquer that bearing!
2_zpsn538xo4k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1_zps1yyxjxva.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back