Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review, Hawk.

The forgiveness of these irons is impressive.

Great writeup, Ryan. I agree with a lot of your points on the looks, feel, and sound. I don't have any other experience besides swinging the 7i in a hitting bay, but for higher handicappers who just want to hit the ball straight and aren't a fan of the hybrid sets, this could be a perfect option.

Great write-up, Ryan. Seems like Callaway has made a nice, forgiving set here.

Hawk tells it like it is...great review Ryan.
I like the Recoil option as a stock shaft, especially from someone like me that tends to shy away from 106-108 gram shafts.

I'll gladly take a few yards of extra distance and a nice high ball flight!

Once again, well done

Nice review Ryan. I think in the right hands that these clubs could help a bunch of players. Even if they are not exactly what I would want to look at from an address standpoint, they are very easy to hit.

Great review Ryan!
My next set I really will be in search of forgiveness, and these might just fit the bill.

Enjoyed the review Hawk. I know a few golfers that could definitely benefit from this club.

What a great review. These irons continue to be on my ponder list as added length and forgiveness would be very helpful for my game. Great review Hawk.

Thanks for reading guys.

Great review here Ryan! Definitely sounds like these could help a ton of golfers, myself included.

Retaining that ball speed on off center strikes is a very very good thing to hear for amateur golfers.

I've never really played the distance game with irons but after being so short with player clubs recently, I'm interested in gaining some yards back with something like these.

Looking forward to hitting these - would like trying both of the shaft options and see what gives me better launch/spin numbers.

So the 2 club distance gain didn't hold up here. However, the forgiveness sounds like it's extremely good. 4 yard miss on toe shots sounds quite wonderful to me as that is my miss too. So for long, high, and forgiving, it sounds like a good option for people looking for those attributes.

Great review Ryan. The game improvement and forgiveness are pretty nice but I'm not entirely sold on the aesthetics of the irons. But that is just a personal preference thing. Overall, very nice offering from Callaway and great review from you as always.

It was a very good honest review that the average player can understand and respect. I want to try them in the recoil shafts and see just what they feel like, not a huge fan of the hybrid and I only have one in the bag, I love the game improvement of Callaway irons and that is the reason I play them. Thanks Hawk for a product review from the THP view.

Great review. I'm really interested in a hybrid from this set. Anyone hit them?

Good honest review Hawk. The '2 clubs longer' claim was pretty specific in this instance with the older Callys that they were comparing to. Forgiveness and high launching isn't a bad thing at all though.

Great review. Great irons

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Good review. Thanks for posting it. I might be looking at these if I ever want to change my irons.

Thanks for the informative, detailed review Ryan a/k/a Hawk. One thing that stands out as interesting is that the stock steel shaft weight is as I recall 106 IN REGULAR AND 108 IN STIFF. Seems like they went a little to the heavier end of the possible spectrum. At this point in time and purely based on a random opinion I am thinking something below 100 would (even though I could game either) feel better for me. Graphite is just okay but in irons my go to is lighter weight steel and all things considered, is what is best for my scoring.
Have recommended these to a buddy, thinking they also will (or at least definitely should) have a lighter steel shaft as a choice, will make sure he looks into that possible option before making a final choice.

These were a ton of fun to hit in person outside. I crapped on them based on hitting them in a sim, but outside they were a great set and produced a high and accurate ballflight. Certainly a set a higher that should be on anyones radar.

Thanks for the informative, detailed review Ryan a/k/a Hawk. One thing that stands out as interesting is that the stock steel shaft weight is as I recall 106 IN REGULAR AND 108 IN STIFF. Seems like they went a little to the heavier end of the possible spectrum. At this point in time and purely based on a random opinion I am thinking something below 100 would (even though I could game either) feel better for me. Graphite is just okay but in irons my go to is lighter weight steel and all things considered, is what is best for my scoring.
Have recommended these to a buddy, thinking they also will have a lighter steel shaft as a choice, will make sure he looks into that possible option before making a final choice.

That actually surprised me as well uman. Even more so when you hear the name of the shaft (has the number 85 in it). The graphite option certainly covers the light weight side though.

How are they forgiveness wise vs G30's or Karstens?

Back