Anyone ever see this happen?

cornerjunkie

Reaction score
Handicap
Was playing a round last weekend and after my first tee shot, which was struck really well, I bent down to grab my tee and noticed the shaft had broken clean off at the neck of the adapter. I mean, it almost looks like it was sawed off.

Driver is a Ping G30 LST w/ factory tour 65x shaft. I bought the club in October of last year so this is surprising to say the least... I sent it to Ping for an evaluation. Hopefully they will do me right.

f3e4461afa4a31fb88adfe85f6da714d.jpg

I've heard of it happening. Especially on drop kicked drives

I did it years ago with a Ping G5 with an adilia NV shaft. Sent it back to Ping and they put a new shaft in it no problem.

Well at least it didn't fly off into the desert.
9b712ef2aa8d0d540eb14b11381391ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this same thing about 1 month ago in a tourney, same exact shaft, his broke about 1/2-1 inch higher.
I would say that is being less than 1 year old, Ping will probably take care of it for you.

I had the same thing happen a couple years ago on the range with a g20 with the stock shaft. Ping replaced it, within two weeks I had it back. The head flew about 25 yards down range.

Yeah, I'm glad the head stayed on for the shot... Water was in play directly in front of the tee box.

I've had this occur once. Send it back and they will take care of you.

I've seen it before. Hopefully Ping does you right. Too much power!

I've seen it before. Hopefully Ping does you right. Too much power!

lol, that's what I said after it happened to make myself feel better...

I had it happen to a hybrid a while back

I've heard of it happening. Especially on drop kicked drives
I would agree with you on the drop kicked drives, but this one was hit dead nuts...

My son has had this happen a few times, but it was due to hitting the ground first with the driver.

Edit: Just saw that you didn't hit the ground. Shaft defect maybe?

I have never had it happen but have seen it happen a few times with several different companys

I had this happen on my I25 with the tfc189 shaft. Ping took care of me with no hassle.

I just played with a guy this weekend who said he pured his ping G30 driver and the head flew off...his ping rep said that the factory shafts where not put together well and he got a new driver.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have snapped a few just above the hosel/adapter. The shafts take a ton of stress on Heel/Toe/Low shots. They never seem to break on those ones though. Always on one that is flushed. Contact Ping CS, they are great people and will most likely take care of it for you.

I just played with a guy this weekend who said he pured his ping G30 driver and the head flew off...his ping rep said that the factory shafts where not put together well and he got a new driver.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well that's good to hear that he got a new driver... Ping should have my club in their hands today or tomorrow. Hopefully I will hear something by the end of the week.

I have seen it happen before, good friend of mine is now on his 3rd, yes 3rd, driver shaft in the same driver. All have broken at the same place as yours and look the same, as it it was "sawed" off. Not sure what causes it, but yes I have seen it happen.

it happened to my friend with his biocell on the stock shaft, snapped just above the adapter. Mind you, he's probably taken more divots with his driver over the season he had it than with his wedges.

I would be shocked if ping didn't cover this one for you.

I've seen it happen to a partner during a scramble. Was a much older driver, he was content on upgrading anyway.

It's been a long time since it's happened to me, maybe 10 years ago, and the company that it happened with took care of me. I'm sure Ping will, too.

it happened to my friend with his biocell on the stock shaft, snapped just above the adapter. Mind you, he's probably taken more divots with his driver over the season he had it than with his wedges.

I would be shocked if ping didn't cover this one for you.

Same driver my buddy has now snapped 3 shafts on, only difference is I have never seen my friend hit the ground on his drives, and he doesn't even play much. But some how manages to snap the shaft.

Still haven't heard anything from Ping, but I'm not expecting to until the end of the week since I dropped it off on Saturday. I will keep everyone posted once I get the eval results.

Good thing I didn't sell my old driver so I will be able to play this weekend...

That is the reason that Ping added the silicone ferrule to the new G adapter. To add strength to prevent shaft snappage.

Back