Question about backswing/fade.

tr561

Reaction score
Handicap
So i've been on the range the last several days and i can't seem to break this straight fade (tails midway through about 15 yards). I noticed a little while ago that during my back swing (about a third of the way through) that my radius/inside wrist of my top hand is turning inward which is closing the club as it nears the top of my swing. So i have been working on keeping the top wrist/grip completely in line with the bottom hand but it feels weird that the club at the top of my swing would be so open and resulting in having top turn it over near impact. If this makes any sense, is this the proper fix to remove the outside in which is spinning the ball off to the right? I'm sure i can work enough at it to make it more comfortable but I need to know if i'm headed in the right direction. Thx

Are you cupping your left wrist? Which image of Mr. Haney depicts what you are doing?

instruction-2012-06-inar01_hank_haney_left_wrist.jpg

So i've been on the range the last several days and i can't seem to break this straight fade (tails midway through about 15 yards). I noticed a little while ago that during my back swing (about a third of the way through) that my radius/inside wrist of my top hand is turning inward which is closing the club as it nears the top of my swing. So i have been working on keeping the top wrist/grip completely in line with the bottom hand but it feels weird that the club at the top of my swing would be so open and resulting in having top turn it over near impact. If this makes any sense, is this the proper fix to remove the outside in which is spinning the ball off to the right? I'm sure i can work enough at it to make it more comfortable but I need to know if i'm headed in the right direction. Thx

Is the fade uncontrollable? I ask because it might be better to play with it than trying to make adjustments and "get lost" in the process....

Are you cupping your left wrist? Which image of Mr. Haney depicts what you are doing?

instruction-2012-06-inar01_hank_haney_left_wrist.jpg

the top right is the fade/slice, and bottom right is the hook/draw correct? My instructor was working on the left picture with me, and my slice is gone when I do it properly.

the top right is the fade/slice, and bottom right is the hook/draw correct? My instructor was working on the left picture with me, and my slice is gone when I do it properly.
One is "square". One is "closed" (face up). One is "open" (toe down). All are usable and very good golfers have played from those positions.

The push slice you have is due to swing path. You might be slightly OTT and out in front of it at impact. Meaning you chest is in front of the at impact. This movement is keeping the club face open and the swing path is headed left. This combo would produce the shot you're seeing. If you worked on staying behind the ball at impact your see a ball that starts left center and ends up on the right side. A true left to right shot.

My left wrist is correct according to this pic. Problem is my right i think.
Then you have a swing path issue or grip issue.

Good stuff. I'm lined up perfectly but i'm seeing quite a few divots that go left and the ball is never going left (just straight then right). Practice swings never produced an outside to inward divot (left), but as soon as I take a real swing on the ball, they take place.

The push slice you have is due to swing path. You might be slightly OTT and out in front of it at impact. Meaning you chest is in front of the at impact. This movement is keeping the club face open and the swing path is headed left. This combo would produce the shot you're seeing. If you worked on staying behind the ball at impact your see a ball that starts left center and ends up on the right side. A true left to right shot.

Back