Flight Simulation (PC)

If you have an ipad there is a good app for that.. basically creates a kneeboard for you.

By the time I go to Mexico in January I'm gonna walk up to the cabin like the geico commercial look at the captain and tell him

" I got this"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/I5O130IzWbI

Take a look bud. This us one of the guys who used to fly online with us at RAF Air UK. He built it in his attic with 3 50+" screens. Simulator is DCS A10C.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

That's awesome!

Take a look bud. This us one of the guys who used to fly online with us at RAF Air UK. He built it in his attic with 3 50+" screens. Simulator is DCS A10C.

That is one awesome flight SIM. That has to be amazingly fun. Definitely better than playing on a 15" laptop.

Ok. I have over 13000 of actual flight time and even I'm impressed with that setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just a PPL, but also an avid simmer. In fact, right now I'm typing this with my keyboard off to the side because my yoke hardware is in the way.

I didn't read all of the pages, but a good start is the Saitek "Cessna" yoke/throttle combo. Much better than CH Products yoke in my opinion - I used that prior, and it didn't last a year. It's far inferior in quality. That said, I have the CH pro pedals and find them very durable and good enough. None of this compares to the real thing, but it's entertaining enough. My brother also bought me the Saitek switch & radio panel, which is awesome.

Someone else mentioned PMDG simulations. Yes!! The best aircraft software out there for FSX. Their 737 NG package is incredible. Cross-bleed start? Go for it. Almost every switch does something. Some of the later offerings from Carenado are pretty good too, namely the Hawker, Phenom, and Navajo. Once you try good third party aircraft, you'll NEVER fly the stock FSX ones. A2A Simulations makes good stuff too.

I do recommend FSX - the graphics are just so much better than XPlane, although the physics engine in Xplane is better. Keep in mind, for how old FSX is, it is VERY taxing. I built my own PC and it's WAY over-spec to FSX's "recommendations", and I still can't max everything out without absolutely destroying my frame rate.

DCS A10C is the mother of all military flight sims. It is very addictive, graphics are something else, and can be easy to get very anal about the systems. The beauty is that first and foremost it is a sim. Yes you can fire a multitude of weapons in darn near the same way it is done in real world, but if you do not click the switches in the correct order for startup, you ain't going anywhere.

I came from a FS9 FSX background where CTRL+E was about the sum of startup.

The Base simulator (DCS World) is free and the A10C module I think is about £30. There are other aircraft.

We have folks from all over the world flying online. Even two guys in America. One guy from Oregon and one from Florida.

Check out YouTube videos by Ralfi ( https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http...e8-A6Q&usg=AFQjCNE3FsrYpbPJ8UIUg2nB1mb4NJdATA ) or Matt Wagner to see what can be done.

That is awesome! I've been lucky enough to fly our A10 sim at work and that home setup looks just as good. I've also flown our F-35, P-3, and MH-60 sims.

Finally getting comfortable with the basics so I decided to hop on vatsim last night.

Wow talk about overwhelming . I have no idea on protocol and how to talk to ATC.

I tried searching for tutorials but couldn't find much in the brief time.

Any ideas?

Finally getting comfortable with the basics so I decided to hop on vatsim last night.

Wow talk about overwhelming . I have no idea on protocol and how to talk to ATC.

I tried searching for tutorials but couldn't find much in the brief time.

Any ideas?

Google live ATC.

Flight Simulation (PC)

Any suggestions on planes ? Everyone flies 737,777, and A320.

While I'd like to fly those eventually I'd like to start in something smaller but the base fsx models suck.

Something like a twin prop turbo or something?

PM me you email. I'll just send you the Feelthere E-jets that i have.. Its the Embraer 135/145 series. That'll get you started and give you a FMC to use also instead of the poor GPS unit in the stock planes.

Then go over to McPhat repaints and get the free American Airlines paint for the jets and you are all set.

I'll also check to see if i made a copy of the ATR-72 i used to fly. Dont have it on my computer anymore. That's twin prop.

Any suggestions on planes ? Everyone flies 737,777, and A320.

While I'd like to fly those eventually I'd like to start in something smaller but the base fsx models suck.

Something like a twin prop turbo or something?

If you PM me a list of planes available I'll give you my recommendation on a good start. Honestly I would do a single engine like a Cessna. Then move into light twins like a Baron. Then do a light turbo prop like a king Air. Only after that would I move into a Dash8 or ATR. After that move into the jets. I could give you recommended training for each as you progress.
I know it might seem like a painful progression but if you're serious about it, it's a good way to develop skill and avoid massive frustration that will just lead to quitting.

If you PM me a list of planes available I'll give you my recommendation on a good start. Honestly I would do a single engine like a Cessna. Then move into light twins like a Baron. Then do a light turbo prop like a king Air. Only after that would I move into a Dash8 or ATR. After that move into the jets. I could give you recommended training for each as you progress.
I know it might seem like a painful progression but if you're serious about it, it's a good way to develop skill and avoid massive frustration that will just lead to quitting.

They have all of those planes!

C172, Beech Baron and King Air.

I definitely wanna start small but the communication aspect with ATC is so confusing to me. I know the aviation alphabet but I don't know protocol.

I'll keep looking for that really good tutorial.

You guys are awesome !!!

I definitely wanna start small but the communication aspect with ATC is so confusing to me. I know the aviation alphabet but I don't know protocol.
Maybe find a vatsim session that is at a large airport with lots of people logged on. Just listen to what's going on.

Tap Talking my way thru the World of golf!

go to Vatusa.net and look at their calendar of online events.
For example, there's a fly in at chicago midway right now. So what i'd do is load up a cessna 172 (easy panel to navigate) and put myself in an out of the way spot (like the general aviation area or whatever) and fire up the vatsim client you are using. When you do that, you should see the list of available frequencies, so just tune in to a couple and see what's going on. Make sure you remove all the 'fake' airplane traffic, so what you see are real people only. Makes it much better. I noticed there are online events the next three days (i think i saw philadelpha - make sure you get that sunskyjet philadelphia airport upgrade) and then washington dc...

Someday soon you'll be flying the river visual into KDCA.

Once you get a lay of the land within FSX you should seriously join a virtual airline. It will really teach you procedure.

go to Vatusa.net and look at their calendar of online events.
For example, there's a fly in at chicago midway right now. So what i'd do is load up a cessna 172 (easy panel to navigate) and put myself in an out of the way spot (like the general aviation area or whatever) and fire up the vatsim client you are using. When you do that, you should see the list of available frequencies, so just tune in to a couple and see what's going on. Make sure you remove all the 'fake' airplane traffic, so what you see are real people only. Makes it much better. I noticed there are online events the next three days (i think i saw philadelpha - make sure you get that sunskyjet philadelphia airport upgrade) and then washington dc...

Someday soon you'll be flying the river visual into KDCA.

Once you get a lay of the land within FSX you should seriously join a virtual airline. It will really teach you procedure.
Try the river visual into DCA in real life. It's a blast.

Try the river visual into DCA in real life. It's a blast.

Oh I bet it's a blast. That turn onto final.... Oof not much room for error.

Ok man,
I just sent you a couple of items. One is the Radio Operator Study guide. Should give you a good start to talking like a pilot.
The other is the Flight Training Manual. This is the book you get when you study for your private license up here in Canada. I would focus on this book and go through Part 1 and and all the air exercises in part 2. Take your time and use this book to become comfortable with basic flying and develop some skills.
Start with the C172. I would try to download the C172 operators manual. It will give you some required info on the controls (mixture, carb heat) etc...
Once you are comfortable with all the lessons I can find you a copy of the private pilot flight test guide to see if you can do everything according to standard.
Then the natural progression is commercial pilot standards, then multi engine standards (Baron) and then Instrument rating standards. At that point you would be ready for a turbo prop airplane like a King Air. Again, I can guide you along the way if you want.
Trust me when I tell you to get comfortable with this sequence and learn to master the basic fundamentals of flying. It will be easier and more fun. You won't overload yourself and you will develop the proper sequence to excelling at sim flying. Hell, if you go get a private license one day you will have most of it figured out already.

Back