Blades Vs Cavity Back

I'm going to do something this weekend while at live club testing. I'm go into put (3) 6 irons to the test on flight scope. TM MB, Srixon 745 and callaway cf16. I think my swing pretty solid and I'm a pretty good player so I want to see the numbers. I want to know which clubs works best for my game.

I want to see this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh it will happen after I warm up. I figure 5 balls with each.
Can't wait. Should be very interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shot a 109 from the Blues 6.6k after work.

Chipping was the guilty party.

Best shot. 3w 230+ yards 20 feet from the hole in a par 5.

Long game sharp. Swing change making huge difference.

But chipping and putting will be the story for 2016.

And thenn....

Scratchville Center here we come.

Ooops I was day dreaming.

I'm going to do something this weekend while at live club testing. I'm go into put (3) 6 irons to the test on flight scope. TM MB, Srixon 745 and callaway cf16. I think my swing pretty solid and I'm a pretty good player so I want to see the numbers. I want to know which clubs works best for my game.
That's an easy one to call, the TM is going to be a club shorter. No jacked loft. The Srixon and Callaway will be within a yard or three of each other. You've got the ball striking consistency to show that. A fairer comparison would be the TM 6i vs. the Srixon and Callaway 7i--that would be closer distances, with higher shots and steeper descents out of the GI clubs. I bet all three would be within a few yards of each other in that case.

Also, 5 balls on a launch monitor tell you nothing--I've posted my 5 ball results with blades, players clubs, and GI clubs here and basically got ridiculed. I hit the blades all within a few yards of each other and saw bigger dispersion the more GI I went. That doesn't mean I'd see results anything like that on the course in an uncontrolled environment and where I have to trust the club to pull off the shot.

If you really want to do a good test, play 6 holes with each and see how far over/under par you get on each of those sets of holes.

No offense, but I think it will tell me a great deal. I also my impact will be a bit different than yours. This isn't about finding the longest club but seeing the numbers between the three.
That's an easy one to call, the TM is going to be a club shorter. No jacked loft. A fairer comparison would be the TM 6i vs. the Srixon and Callaway 7i.

Also, 5 balls on a launch monitor tell you nothing--I've posted my 5 ball results with blades, players clubs, and GI clubs here and basically got ridiculed. I hit the blades all within a few yards of each other and saw bigger dispersion the more GI I went. That doesn't mean I'd see results anything like that on the course in an uncontrolled environment and where I have to trust the club to pull off the shot.

If you really want to do a good test, play 6 holes with each and see how far over/under par you get on each of those sets of holes.

That's an easy one to call, the TM is going to be a club shorter. No jacked loft. The Srixon and Callaway will be within a yard or three of each other. You've got the ball striking consistency to show that. A fairer comparison would be the TM 6i vs. the Srixon and Callaway 7i--that would be closer distances, with higher shots and steeper descents out of the GI clubs. I bet all three would be within a few yards of each other in that case.

But given that half (if not less, depending on the layout) of your strokes are going to come with an iron on those 6 holes, is that necessarily the best way to test? I'm interested in seeing what comes out of Freddie's test. Even if the distances aren't exact, it will be interesting to see what happens with spin, dispersion, etc. That TM MB has to be lofted a bit higher to behave like a 6i - it's not going to launch like the other clubs. The 745, while they're a players iron, have launched high for me every time I've tested them, since the V sole gets more weight low.

Those are beautiful sticks.

Last week I pulled the 8i off the shelf at my home club to demo in an outdoor bay. I looked over the head as I began to take the plastic off, then put the club back on the rack before heading to the bay - too much club for me.

That's why you get the MP-25s instead of the 5s! Just enough junk in the trunk to get the ball up with the same Mizuno feel...

That's why you get the MP-25s instead of the 5s! Just enough junk in the trunk to get the ball up with the same Mizuno feel...

Haha that's what I was thinking, so I got these today.

#mizunofeel

Why make golf harder with blade when it's easier to play CB!!
As the original poster. I have been going back to back between the blades and the cavity back.

From a feel perspective there is no comparison Blades rule.

From a forgiveness or distance perspective the Cavity Backs are kings of the game.

But since I don't play for profit. I quite frankly enjoy the feel over the forgiveness and distance.

But to each their own. My preference isn't the norm or the final answer.

What do people think about the split set approach such as with the new Cobra King Pros where the long irons are CB and the short irons are MB?

I hit with them the other day at Golfsmith and found better results with this set then I did when I tried other blades such as the Mizunos - I just seemed to find the sweet spot more often with the Cobras. Though, I found that the average distances were about a club less than I have with my Mizuno forged 850s and still think that I much prefer playing those than blades. Haven't read about their design but the Cobra blades seemed more forgiving than the Mizuno blades overall. I haven't played blades since I started playing golf and dragged my grandfather's very old Sam Snead Wilson's out of the basement in the mid-80s - taught myself how to play using those clubs which wasn't easy but probably went a long way for me - then moved on to game improvement clubs after about a year or so. Every now and then I think about trying blades and seeing how they feel but have always quickly dropped the idea after hitting in a store or on the range. However, the Cobras were the first set of blades (well partial blades) that left me really wanting to have the chance to play 18 with them and see how it goes. Doubt I'll find a demo set to take on the course but it was fun to give them a try.

I have a hunch that blades magnify swing flaws and that given a few things that I do with my swing (particularly, my swing being overly steep), blades will probably never be the "right" match for me. Perhaps a more classic (err, correct) swing and better ball striking as a result brings out the best in blades. Funny thing was that my son (who luckily has a pretty classic proper swing) fell in love with the Cobras and even though they were too long for him and had stiff shafts, after hitting about 40 balls with the short irons, he managed to find the sweet spot probably 8 times out of 10, gained 20% in distance and was usually within 2-6 yards of the center line on the simulator and he was even able to hit controlled draws and cuts in a way that he is not able to do with his own short irons....I wasn't even close to those types of results when I hit them. I was very surprised by my results and his results and figure that it must come down to swing type and the mistakes that I make on my swing that he doesn't make. At this point, I don't see myself changing my swing and so suspect that staying with clubs like the Mizuno 850s will bring out a better game in me than trying to shoehorn blades into my game. My son made me promise that I'd take him back this weekend to hit the Cobras again and so maybe I'll try them again as well.

I like when there is a mixed set designed by the OEM better than making up ones own combo set...not against doing one on own just there's times lofts have to adjusted to get gapping.

regarding cobra these have a very string lineup this year and the King forged MB/CB combo is going to be a good set.nim pondering this set or maybe just the CB.

What do people think about the split set approach such as with the new Cobra King Pros where the long irons are CB and the short irons are MB?
I bought a 5i-8i CB, 9i-GW MB. That's what I think about them. :act-up:

I suspect you're finding the sweet spot more because it's actually in the middle of the face rather than toward the hosel like most blades because of the tungsten plugs in the toe of the clubs.

I hit with them the other day at Golfsmith and found better results with this set then I did when I tried other blades such as the Mizunos - I just seemed to find the sweet spot more often with the Cobras. Though, I found that the average distances were about a club less than I have with my Mizuno forged 850s and still think that I much prefer playing those than blades. Haven't read about their design but the Cobra blades seemed more forgiving than the Mizuno blades overall. I haven't played blades since I started playing golf and dragged my grandfather's very old Sam Snead Wilson's out of the basement in the mid-80s - taught myself how to play using those clubs which wasn't easy but probably went a long way for me - then moved on to game improvement clubs after about a year or so. Every now and then I think about trying blades and seeing how they feel but have always quickly dropped the idea after hitting in a store or on the range. However, the Cobras were the first set of blades (well partial blades) that left me really wanting to have the chance to play 18 with them and see how it goes. Doubt I'll find a demo set to take on the course but it was fun to give them a try.

I have a hunch that blades magnify swing flaws and that given a few things that I do with my swing (particularly, my swing being overly steep), blades will probably never be the "right" match for me. Perhaps a more classic (err, correct) swing and better ball striking as a result brings out the best in blades. Funny thing was that my son (who luckily has a pretty classic proper swing) fell in love with the Cobras and even though they were too long for him and had stiff shafts, after hitting about 40 balls with the short irons, he managed to find the sweet spot probably 8 times out of 10, gained 20% in distance and was usually within 2-6 yards of the center line on the simulator and he was even able to hit controlled draws and cuts in a way that he is not able to do with his own short irons....I wasn't even close to those types of results when I hit them. I was very surprised by my results and his results and figure that it must come down to swing type and the mistakes that I make on my swing that he doesn't make. At this point, I don't see myself changing my swing and so suspect that staying with clubs like the Mizuno 850s will bring out a better game in me than trying to shoehorn blades into my game. My son made me promise that I'd take him back this weekend to hit the Cobras again and so maybe I'll try them again as well.

I'm a huge fan of combo sets. I wish more OEMs would offer them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 5i-8i CB, 9i-GW MB. That's what I think about them. :act-up:

I suspect you're finding the sweet spot more because it's actually in the middle of the face rather than toward the hosel like most blades because of the tungsten plugs in the toe of the clubs.

Cool - I hope you enjoy them. Didn't realize that their design created a different type of sweet spot - not surprised then that they felt better than most blades. I will have to pay closer attention when I go back.

3baf4c7182fc5cfc34c799060c6679d4.jpg

If you're looking for the best of both worlds, look at the forged cavity backs, there are a ton of them on the market now. Good looks, thinner top lines, and you can have them in larger or smaller club heads. Srixon, Cobra, Mizuno, Titleist, and Callaway make the best looking ones IMO. I love my Apex, and will be moving to the Cobras next.

You definitely get the feedback to help you improve your ball striking, but your game isn't punished nearly as much for mishits.

I agree with the forged cavity back take. Just a bit disappointed you left out Bridgestone. J40 CB is still the sexiest looking forged CB of all time (IMO of course :bashful:).

images

I agree with the forged cavity back take. Just a bit disappointed you left out Bridgestone. J40 CB is still the sexiest looking forged CB of all time (IMO of course :bashful:).

images
What's the Handicap rating

According to Bridgestone, they are suited for professionals to mid cappers.

I've never played blades, or "shovels," but these offer the perfect balance for me. I previously had j40 dpc which are bigger and supposed to be more forgiving. Consistently the CB performed better for me. I was looking to upgrade to j15 but they don't suit the my eye as well.

Just bagged Yonex Ezone MB Blades . Pulled my shafts from Hogan 1999 Apex Blades. Installed them 'exactly' the same orientation. So here I have a real comparison head to head. It will take me a while to get a full review going on this club, here are some initial findings.
These are bought from Japan with X100's at 1/4' short, that played soft to flex, and D1 with lead in the tips. I was hitting draws that were tight dispersion, just a tad low and had trouble holding greens in mid irons. about 5y short from Hogans flying 160y 7i / 1 deg weak. I installed my Rifle FCM 7.0's at 1/8 long with a inch of lead tape behind the 'fat' muscle. Now flights are penetrating, higher and very stable in wind. My Fcm's made these awesome...which are shafts hand picked, spined/Flo and I know them 'well'
Ok here is the skinny: These are the best pin-point accurate / laser / rope irons EVER in my hands. Dispersion is much much tighter than Hogan 1999, and that's saying something! my initial response was Wow!
I can go right at pins tucked back, fly over trouble. The tightness of the shots was very impressive to me, it was just seeing/playing the bounce release to were I would end up. Whats impressive is a bad swing (not a miss hit) like a hold off push, or a slight pull were still hitting greens and I had putts. I know my swing and these shots should be right green side first cut / rough...or pulled down the back of a green slope...OMG they are on the green!
Distance control is better, and put some low bump n run's to 1-2ft, dropped another ball, did it again...from 68y 8i. Now miss hits lose 5y and are not bad, as I always swing through the ball to a good finish, however the mis hit stays on line well. The sweet spot is slightly smaller than 1999, however the solidness of the flights are superior. I have never in my golfing career seen flights that cover pins so tightly on good shots, that outshine any bad swings and miss hits. I still have mental visions of the flights burn't in my brain. My playing partners all agree this is a whole new level. The irons are that good!...well all JDM stuff is. I read reviews on this iron for 1 1/2 years, and many blade players give this head the edge over Miura TB's. IMO: Yonex MB are the cream of the crop, and at $1500 new!... they deliver

Last edited:
Well I am glad I dropped my SGI irons for the MP 68's I now play. Given the thoughts of many here I have no business playing these irons either, but everything else that has been said here re forgiveness holds, and a loss in distance can result in off centre strikes... This is all true. But nobody has mentioned the sheer pleasure of playing MB or blade irons...

Perhaps this is dependent on the intent of the individual, the how and why they play if you like. Purist ideology? Not necessarily IMO.

This exactly for me as well.......I grew up playing blades, as there were no cbs or gi iron sets available(60's). so this is how I learned the game. That being said, it is up to the needs of the individual, and their goals, ego, etc.

It feels good when I get complimented by other golfers, both young and old when they say "How can you hit blades?"

Having played baseball competitively for 30 yrs. also lends itself to being ahead of the curve in terms of hand-eye coordination, so I have an advantage in terms of ability that way, so my mishits are fewer. The hardest thing ever is hitting a 90 mph slider that breaks late down and away. Hitting a golf ball sitting static is much easier for me.

Some folks can hit them well and some folks can't, I say play what you hit best and enjoy hitting them whatever you choose.

This exactly for me as well.......I grew up playing blades, as there were no cbs or gi iron sets available(60's). so this is how I learned the game. That being said, it is up to the needs of the individual, and their goals, ego, etc.

It feels good when I get complimented by other golfers, both young and old when they say "How can you hit blades?"

Having played baseball competitively for 30 yrs. also lends itself to being ahead of the curve in terms of hand-eye coordination, so I have an advantage in terms of ability that way, so my mishits are fewer. The hardest thing ever is hitting a 90 mph slider that breaks late down and away. Hitting a golf ball sitting static is much easier for me.

You must have been facing Randy Johnson, because he is one of very few that I can imagine ever threw 90 MPH sliders.

Back