100-110 Mph what shaft flex are you playing?

Antony NZ

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm interested hearing what people are playing. As my swing speed has increased I've gone from regular now to stiff & now I'm thinking about x-flex. Swing to parallel, aggressive on the way down & misses tend to be more right than left. Play a 10.5* Razr Xtreme driver as I like a higher ball flight (last time on a monitor in the 13-14* range with 2500-3000rpm) & normally game a Motore F1 65 or Fuel 60 as they kick nicely and feel very stable. I would love abit more accuracy but not lose any height. Live in the middle of nowhere so have no access to any launch monitors :-(

I would have to say a xstiff for your ss. My swing is around the 110 mark and I use a stiff flex. Mind you my shaft is a bit more stiff then a standard stiff. The F 1 is a solid choice from my understanding.

I use an X-stiff with that speed range. Stiff works pretty well also, but i have an R-flex in my 5 wood, and it balloons every now and then. wanna get a stiff flex in it soon.

That's kind of a tough range to figure out without more information. Are your smooth swings 100 and your full out are 110?

Also, if you've got that launch and that spin, I don't think I'd touch much. That's pretty good.

That's kind of a tough range to figure out without more information. Are your smooth swings 100 and your full out are 110?

Also, if you've got that launch and that spin, I don't think I'd touch much. That's pretty good.

Yes more in the 100 range early in the round, once im 3 or 4 in I get quicker. Typical round for me today, shortest 220 metres longest 270 using a gps, minimal wind today but dry conditions with good roll. Hit 7 fairways & missed 7. Yeah I know I've most likely got it as good as im going to get but you know, the grass is always greener. Just didn't want to order an x-flex to try & find its like a 4x2 :)

I would have to say a xstiff for your ss. My swing is around the 110 mark and I use a stiff flex. Mind you my shaft is a bit more stiff then a standard stiff. The F 1 is a solid choice from my understanding.

When you say stiffer than standard stiff, has it been tipped?

When you say stiffer than standard stiff, has it been tipped?
Mine was tipped from the previous owner. Not quite sure how much but I am liking the results of this.

Yes more in the 100 range early in the round, once im 3 or 4 in I get quicker. Typical round for me today, shortest 220 metres longest 270 using a gps, minimal wind today but dry conditions with good roll. Hit 7 fairways & missed 7. Yeah I know I've most likely got it as good as im going to get but you know, the grass is always greener. Just didn't want to order an x-flex to try & find its like a 4x2 :)

I think you'd be dissatisfied with the launch, not to mention feel like you had to swing out of your shoes to get the most out of it.

I swing somewhere in the 100 to 110 range and I use both Stiff and XStiff depending on the shaft and time of year. My go to is a Kusala 72S tipped 1.5" or a Kusala 61X, I find they perform very similarly as they should.
I play my Speeder 7.1 in Stiff but my Diamana S+ in XStiff, and I used the Fubuki ZT in XStiff and had great results with it.

I think as long as you load the shaft decently you can switch between S and X in many profiles and see results that are pretty close. I have trouble when I get into the shafts that are already very tip-stiff and try them in X, they are too much shaft for me.

I swing around 115mph and have always played an S flex shaft. I would have thought if your miss was right, the last thing you'd want to do was go X flex? I know a lot of lightweight softer flex shafts help eliminate the right side of the course so I'd think staying with an S flex woukd be the best move for you. SS isn't everything when it comes to shaft choice IMO.

Speed is one thing, transition and tempo is another. I have a pretty quick transition so I'm told. I don't get the my speeds no where near that high, but I have an X in my driver. It just works well for me.

My speed has been alternating between about 105 avg and 115 avg. Dealing with a back injury and swing inconsistency issues so I never know what I'm going to get until I start swinging on a given day. So I've been running with the S flex which is more compatible either way. I tend to get overly high launch and/or more draw bias when I am swinging faster though (and my fix in that case is to just slow it down a notch).

The flex would depend on shaft being played, in my fittings I have been fit for both stiff and x stiff depending on shaft and driver head to try and get close to optimal launch, spin and ball speed. I have a quick transition more often than not so for me I have a heavier stiff shaft with my G25. I started the fitting with both the stock stiff and tour stiff then went to Diamana blue which worked for a little while until i made some swing improvements then ended up with a whiteboard 72.

if you can get to a fitter that would be best, it will take messing around with shaft and head combos to find the right shaft for your swing

I use a stiff flex but I miss right a lot (I'm a lefty) I'm going to test some xstiff shafts this winter to see if that will help with my miss.

I swing a bit higher on average now but when I was in that range, I used stiff shafts. But my swing profile, tempo, or whatever, reads similar to yours and looking back now, I wish I'd made the switch to x-flex sooner.

I was inconsistent with driver and was so focused upon swing mechanics that I overlooked proper fit. The moment I switched flex to an x-flex Bassara in a Cobra ZL, my consistency improved pretty dramatically.

Your numbers are good so I'd tread lightly but there's nothing wrong with experimenting, imo.

I swing around 115mph and have always played an S flex shaft. I would have thought if your miss was right, the last thing you'd want to do was go X flex? I know a lot of lightweight softer flex shafts help eliminate the right side of the course so I'd think staying with an S flex woukd be the best move for you. SS isn't everything when it comes to shaft choice IMO.
Yes I have read the same thing but I seem the opposite, everytime I've used a senior flex or my wifes driver I lose it further right.

Don't use club speed solely to gauge what shaft you need. You need to see launch numbers and spin characteristics to find the right shaft and flex combo for you.

This is right where I am and have been fit in to both stiff and x flex shafts. Generally speaking you would be more safe with an x but not all are created equally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay with a stiff but try a 70 or 80 gram shaft .... My accuracy increased 200% by getting away from the light shafts

Your spin numbers aren't overly high so I don't know if I would go to an X. Maybe a heavier stiff. But really the difference between an X and stiff is very little in terms of the numbers you will put up. It's all about feel. I have between 105-109mph SS with a driver and I did some experiments with different flexes, and I found that the difference between a regular flex and an X flex was only 250RPMs. This was with an SLDR on Golfsmith's HMT Launch monitor. I hit about 10 shots each with a regular, stiff and X, and that's the difference I came up with in spin numbers. Very minute, the bigger difference is how you feel, I like heavier shafts so that's what I go with, just cause of the feel and nothing else.

I've been playing X in the three drivers I've had since last December and the switch from stiff has helped me reduce the dispersion on my misses and I haven't lost any distance. I've always played stiff until going through my fitting at Callaway and Miles of Golf. The fitting numbers have proven X is the best for me and my swing.

I'm in the same range but find that an x flex is straighter for me. I have the same shaft in a stiff and an x for a few of my favorite drivers. If it's early in the season or cold outside I may play a stiff but 90% of my rounds I play an x flex.

I am in this range and was recently fitted into an X by one of the best fitters in the world. I didn't believe it but no way am I going to doubt the man.

I've been told in two fittings I'm borderline. But, I always play the lightest flex I can handle, usually S, but I've played R flex shafts for prolonged time frames with no issues at all for me.

Back