Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Game.
You don't play sport of golf you play a game of golf.

At the same time though, you never say you're going to a football "sport". You say you're going to the football game. You could replace football with any sport in that example and it would hold true.

Definitely a game. IMO, anything you can do while smoking a cigar the entire duration of the activity is not a sport.

I could make an argument that baseball was close to the same for a long time.

People don't wear compression pants in games.

you are hanging with the wrong crowd. I wore compression pants for flag football. Wish I would have started the trend for basketball.

Speak for yourself. Beags will sell you compression pants for any occasion.

wonder if he has them on the same rack with the speedos...could make for an intriguing combo

I could make an argument that baseball was close to the same for a long time.

Didn't guys used to smoke cigarettes while playing baseball back in the day?

you are hanging with the wrong crowd. I wore compression pants for flag football. Wish I would have started the trend for basketball.

wonder if he has them on the same rack with the speedos...could make for an intriguing combo

Football basketball both sports IMO

i'm not trying to be insensitive, but people with physical limitations or disabilities cannot play golf, but they can play games. so because there is such a physical requirement, i still say it's a sport even though guys like tim herron, mark calcavecchia, john daly, etc can play it well without being in peak physical shape.

Football basketball both sports IMO

It's not nfl sport day every Sunday in the fall. It's game day and basketball is a game night.

game
ɡām/
noun
a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
synonyms: pastime, diversion, entertainment, amusement, distraction, divertissement, recreation, sport, activity More
a type of activity or business, especially when regarded as a game.

When I play it, it is a game. When somebody gets paid to play it and perform well, it's a sport.

It's not nfl sport day every Sunday in the fall. It's game day and basketball is a game night.

game
ɡām/
noun
a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
synonyms:pastime, diversion, entertainment, amusement, distraction, divertissement, recreation, sport, activity More
a type of activity or business, especially when regarded as a game.

Agree to disagree

You're playing the game aspect of it i'm playing the sport aspect of it, since I'm given the choice in the definition.

i'm not trying to be insensitive, but people with physical limitations or disabilities cannot play golf, but they can play games. so because there is such a physical requirement, i still say it's a sport even though guys like tim herron, mark calcavecchia, john daly, etc can play it well without being in peak physical shape.

Would you include amputees in your list of people who cannot play golf?

I play with a guy regularly who has an artificial leg. He's a 3 handicap.

I've played with guys who have no working kegs. They play from a single rider golf cart with a seat that turns and adjusts so they can address the ball while seated. The USGA has special rules for them, but only slightly different than you and me. One of these guys Monday qualified on the Nationwide tour a few years back, and missed qualifying for the US Open by 3 strokes that year.

I've played with a guy with just one arm who drove the ball 280+ and had a tremendous game. Couldn't putt, but it had nothing to do with his disability.

If you mean there are no disabled golfers playing on the PGA Tour, Casey Martin would disagree with you. Google him.

I suppose they are synonymous, are the not? While not all games are sports, I would certainly say all sports are games. And I certainly consider golf a sport, so I'm saying both.

Definitely a game. IMO, anything you can do while smoking a cigar the entire duration of the activity is not a sport.
I was about to make this comment except with "cigarette" instead of "cigar".

It's a combo but since that wasn't an option I went sport. A sport can be a game. Sports are competitive events involving athletics. Athletes come in all shapes and sizes.

I consider baseball, football, basketball games and sports.

I would agree with this. I think every sport starts out as a game. How competitive and how serious an individual makes it, determines whether it becomes a sport for them.

Golf requires all kinds of skill, sport for sure!!!

I think some are getting caught up in semantics. Regardless if it's football, basketball, or baseball, it's common for people to say "Are you going to watch the game?" So yes, MOST sports are made up of games. Others are made up of matches, races, whatever.

I think the OP's intent is discerning between a sport (implying athletic competition) vs a game (implying more casual, perhaps even less athletic).

And I agree, it can kind of be both.

Didn't guys used to smoke cigarettes while playing baseball back in the day?

They didn't do it on the ice, but NHL players used to smoke in the dressing room between periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is happy medium. I get exhausted after 18 holes walking but also fun as hell.

Golf is a sport, played at its highest levels, by gifted athletes.

A lot of sports are referred to as "games," i.e., "are you going to the game tonight?" could be a basketball game, football game, etc..., but they are all sports.

I would go with both, as golf is what ever each person makes of it. For some it is just a leisure game and other it is a serious sport.

For me it is more a game.Live in an area that the climate makes this a 5 month adventure at the most

Would you include amputees in your list of people who cannot play golf?

I play with a guy regularly who has an artificial leg. He's a 3 handicap.

I've played with guys who have no working kegs. They play from a single rider golf cart with a seat that turns and adjusts so they can address the ball while seated. The USGA has special rules for them, but only slightly different than you and me. One of these guys Monday qualified on the Nationwide tour a few years back, and missed qualifying for the US Open by 3 strokes that year.

I've played with a guy with just one arm who drove the ball 280+ and had a tremendous game. Couldn't putt, but it had nothing to do with his disability.

If you mean there are no disabled golfers playing on the PGA Tour, Casey Martin would disagree with you. Google him.

I never said any of that. Stephen Hawking can't play golf, but he can play backgammon or chess or scrabble or online poker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't reply because I would say it can be both or either depending on how you treat it.

Didn't reply because I would say it can be both or either depending on how you treat it.

Was gonna say exactly the same thing. If you have "neither" as a choice, gotta have "both" too.

Just like the title says. Do you consider golf a sport or a game?

For me I think it is a sport. With the way golfers train and practice now, and the money that is involved in the professional ranks and media coverage that it generates I definitely think it is more than a game and definitely a sport.

It's both. There are activities like track and field events which are sports but not games, and there are activities like Monopoly or chess which are games but not sports. Golf is more like baseball or football - both a game and a sport. It requires the muscular control of a sport and the strategy of a game.

It's both. There are activities like track and field events which are sports but not games, and there are activities like Monopoly or chess which are games but not sports. Golf is more like baseball or football - both a game and a sport. It requires the muscular control of a sport and the strategy of a game.

Very well said.

Back