just off the fringe in the rough and to a close pin with a poor lie

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Assuming the ball is not sitting up high at all but is down in the grass. Obviously we need to get it out but being close to the green and also a very close pin, most of us are not even close to being 10% of Phil lol....so how are you playing this and with which club?

Sure it becomes much easier when the ball is up nicely, but more often than not we unfortunately end up worse. Do you wrist hinge here? or not? Do you use the highest lofted club? is there much follow through? ball forward? or back?

I am sure there will probably be some mixed answers here. Those who are pretty good at this kind of thing may even have some differences in their approach. I am just trying to see if there are given rights and wrongs for this shot. I assume that obviously a certain amount of feel (or touch) is required regardless of how you approach this. Bottom line is what is the beast way to get it out and also keep it close enough?

chutt

-MD441

seriously though, in that situation, I would probably chutt it, hit down on the ball with the putter so the ball bounces off the rough.

seriously though, in that situation, I would probably chutt it, hit down on the ball with the putter so the ball bounces off the rough.

But in this scenario would there really be more control of the shot via chutting vs if one learned better with a club?

But in this scenario would there really be more control of the shot via chutting vs if one learned better with a club?

probably, but I think pulling a wedge in this situation is a high risk shot for me, I know that with a short pin like that, I would have a tendency to slow down on the ball and rish a thin shot, a duff or even worse, a double tap.
The chutt for me would be the low risk shot, it may not end up as close to the pin, but I know it'll be on the green.

You obviously want to try and control the ball with spin and or trajectory. A high lofted wedge with a short steep swing. I'm taking no higher than your hip and you're trying to cut the legs out from under the ball. I prefer to open the face of the club and hold the face through impact. The ball tends to come out dead.

And for the record, putting this is not the answer.

You obviously want to try and control the ball with spin and or trajectory. A high lofted wedge with a short steep swing. I'm taking no higher than your hip and you're trying to cut the legs out from under the ball. I prefer to open the face of the club and hold the face through impact. The ball tends to come out dead.

When you say "hold the face" do you mean no wrist hinge through the ball?

When you say "hold the face" do you mean no wrist hinge through the ball?

No, there is wrist hinge from your forward press. This combined with the steep takeaway, gives you plenty of wrist hinge. You hold this angle through the shot.

No, there is wrist hinge from your forward press. This combined with the steep takeaway, gives you plenty of wrist hinge. You hold this angle through the shot.

Firstly , thanks for the info. My apologies but still a little confusing. So basically , the wrists will be cocked (or hinged) via a forward press and perhaps for the takeaway, and but then we hold without releasing wrists the other way? Does that sound correct now? I also assume we are looking to set up with ball forward position?

One of my instructors a few years back said to play this as an explosion sand shot and focus on getting out and on the green, sometimes it will be close and sometimes not but at least you are not hitting another shot out of that deep cabbage rough. Par or bogey and then move on.

I agree with Freddie, I have no idea how you could use putter from that type lie.

One of my instructors a few years back said to play this as an explosion sand shot and focus on getting out and on the green, sometimes it will be close and sometimes not but at least you are not hitting another shot out of that deep cabbage rough. Par or bogey and then move on.

I agree with Freddie, I have no idea how you could use putter from that type lie.

To be fair, it was shown with putter in a vid very recently in another thread about short game. I cant recall which thread. But I would rather still get to do this shot via a wedge if I can. Its not that I've never made the shot but its rare that I do lol

Firstly , thanks for the info. My apologies but still a little confusing. So basically , the wrists will be cocked (or hinged) via a forward press and perhaps for the takeaway, and but then we hold without releasing wrists the other way? Does that sound correct now?

That is exactly right. A traditional chip has a bit of release. This shot has no release, hence holding the face.

are we to play the ball forward in stance here? much like a sand shot?

This is 100% correct.

Any shot played around the green needs acceleration. The lack of this and poor club selection usually cost the player multiple shots

To be fair, it was shown with putter in a vid very recently in another thread about short game. I cant recall which thread. But I would rather still get to do this shot via a wedge if I can. Its not that I've never made the shot but its rare that I do lol

As with all things there are exceptions but I would never consider a putter when the ball is sitting down in the high grass, I just don't see the percentages being with you. Let me know if that is how you decide to come out of the cabbage over using a high lofted wedge, I am interested as maybe I will try it too.

As with all things there are exceptions but I would never consider a putter when the ball is sitting down in the high grass, I just don't see the percentages being with you. Let me know if that is how you decide to come out of the cabbage over using a high lofted wedge, I am interested as maybe I will try it too.

I never tried it with a putter and wasn't really planning to. I would rather practice , play it, and get better at it with the wedge. Its just that its not the first time its been mentioned.

I found the vid, it was in that Holly sonders thread that was closed. None the less here is the Martin Hall vid showing the putter for this chip. Although almost as though a last option. Right,wrong, or indifferent, here it is and the piece to view is at time line of about 4:09 into the vid. Im not advocating for it and I simply want to become more efficient using my wedge for the shot but I guess we can say "whatever works for you"

I agree. I'd go open faced wedge.

just off the fringe in the rough and to a close pin with a poor lie

I agree w Freddie's strategy AND w Randy's strategy. It depends, for me, on lie and what kind of trouble is behind the pin. I have learned that getting the ball on the green is goal #1 - anything close to the pin is bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the exact response I was getting ready to respond with Freddie. I don't think it's nearly as hard as it sounds - I think fear gets the best of people on these shots.

That's the exact response I was getting ready to respond with Freddie. I don't think it's nearly as hard as it sounds - I think fear gets the best of people on these shots.

If the weight is on the front foot, feet open and wide to get shoulders down. And you maintain the preset hands with a deliberate steep strike the ball will feather out of the lie.

As an amateur, the flop with zero or little green to work with makes me uncomfortable unless it was on an uphill lie. My preferred shot would be to belly my 56* and use a putter stroke. Works well for me, different strokes for different folks.

Usually my 54 as a sand shot, and swing through it!

Back