Freight-train

Reaction score
Handicap
In the market for new irons. Playing sticks that are 16 years old and while I know it's more the swing than the clubs I am hopeful to gain a little more forgiveness and distance as I try to get back into the game.

Gong to wait a few months but researching clubs and places to get fit.

Do you think there is an appreciable difference between going to local PGA pro or local golf headquarters location to get fitted vs paying the extra time and money to drive to Boston area and get fitted by a "top 100 fitter". As a high handicapper who has been out of the game for a long time but used to be around a 14, is that extra investment going to pay off?

Obviously the priority for now is to invest in lessons and practice but when I do drop $1000+ for new clubs I want it to be done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are there any particular clubs you are wanting to try? if so, that may help make your decision if local places don't carry those sticks.

is there an appreciable difference? maybe. big box places may not measure you for changes in length, lie or grip. they may not take the time to help with swing weight adjustments. and they may not take the time to test different shafts, soft- or hard-stepping, or loft changes. but then again, they may do all of this. and just because a guy is a "top 100 fitter" doesn't mean he will do any of this either.

i do think there is benefit to getting fit. i'm not sure it's the end all be all. given how old your irons are and knowing a little about the dci line, i think you have tons of options out there that will give you distance increases and loads more forgiveness. is a fitting necessary for that? i don't think so, because you could almost blindly grab something off the rack and it will be easier to hit than what you have now. but a fitting could dial in minor adjustments here and there.

so if it's a hassle to go to boston, i think you would be fine to go somewhere local.

That "top 100 fitter" designation can be iffy. A lot of times it's based on sales. Not industry peer ratings. Fittings can be quite unique. Some fitters are old school and very visual. Other fitters are new school and base everything on launch monitor data. Depending on your game, you may just need the stock offerings. But, some fitters may try to get you into upgraded shafts and the cost benefit may not be enough to justify. But, they will push it anyway.

Find out from you golfing buddies who they use and just go into that shop and start up a conversation with the guy/gal and see how it goes.

this an email response to a local place within an hour from me. It sounds pretty good, thoughts?

Good Morning,
Our fitting service includes a comprehensive analysis on our outdoor range. We begin by matching the player profile with an appropriate category of equipment(game improvement, etc.). Once we have narrowed the field of choices based on ability and budget, we’ll demo the selected models and observe the technique to further assess head design(center of gravity, degree of offset) and shaft type and flex. Once the final model is selected, we can proceed with an impact analysis to confirm length and lie angle. Final static measurements will determine hand size and grip diameter. Once these elements are established, we’ll finish with dialog regarding the set configuration to appropriately work around the other clubs in your bag. This allows for proper distance gapping and overall tee to green performance.
If your ability calls for additional diagnostics such as launch monitor tracking and shaft performance analysis, we can/will also incorporate these elements. We find the ability to review the full ball flight is often sufficient, however, better players do require this state of the art technology to pinpoint minor differences between comparable components.
Please stop in at your convenience to begin the selection process and further discuss this process. We look forward to working with you!
Regards,
Northway Golf Center
?

sounds perfect. i'd go with that. one recommendation is to check off each of those aspects of the fitting as they happen. don't let them cut a corner to get you out the door and the next guy in. but that write-up sounds like a winner. report back with the findings and what you buy!

It's a good writeup. Like c.a.eleric said, check that stuff off and you progress through the fitting. Some places will do the fitting for free if you buy the clubs from them. You'll also want reassurance that you can bring the sticks back for minor tweaks if the lie is off.

Otherwise it'll cost 50-100 if you take the numbers and shop somewhere else.

When I was fitted for my last sticks, the fitter knew my game. So, we could eliminate some of the beginning steps. Using a Lie Board, we determined that I was 2* up. From there, he brought out 8-10 different makes/models all 2* up. Then, it was a March Madness bracket type elimination comparing 2 at a time, hitting 2-3 balls each, occasionally changing a shaft, until we narrowed it down to 2. At that point, it's mostly feel and intuition. After my sticks came in, I hit them all well, except for the 7-iron. Come to find out the lie on that one was off compared to the rest.

Have fun. Good luck.

this an email response to a local place within an hour from me. It sounds pretty good, thoughts?

?

This sounds quite comprehensive to me. I went to a so-called top 100 fitter two years ago and it was not even close to as detailed as this is.

Where in MA are you located?

I've been fit at the Callaway Performance Center in Hudson NH and very happy with the results there. OITW has used Joe and Leigh's, and arydolphin has used Club Champion. I'm on mobile so can't pull up the threads, but if you search we've written up our fittings

I know any of us would be happy to answer any questions you might have about places around here.

Where in MA are you located?

I've been fit at the Callaway Performance Center in Hudson NH and very happy with the results there. OITW has used Joe and Leigh's, and arydolphin has used Club Champion. I'm on mobile so can't pull up the threads, but if you search we've written up our fittings

I know any of us would be happy to answer any questions you might have about places around here.

I'm In Berkshire County closer to NY border. Club champion was one I was looking at also Ace of Clubs, did look at Joe and Leigh's online but did not think about Callaway up in New Hampshire either way its about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Last edited:
I'm In Berkshire County closer to NY border.

Might also want to check with some folks in the Albany area to see who they've used. Scarnici is also out in Western MA - you could send him a PM and ask him who he's been fit by.

Everyone in Albany area talks about Northway Eight Golf who I quoted above. Thinking about giving them a shot before I head out east. When i went there wedge shopping they just wanted to fit my lie and length to what I played now so I did not get a good feel but it sounds like if I am buying a whole new set they will be more detailed.

I've never really considered most golf stores to do true fitting.
It takes someone to really know your swing and can allow you to really try (more than once) different things.
Sure they can generalize based on your size, current swing speed and some other tendencies/habits.
And it might actually be a good start but if you can get a guy that can help you with your swing first then move into a better suited set, then that is better.
It will and should cost more.

I've never really considered most golf stores to do true fitting.
It takes someone to really know your swing and can allow you to really try (more than once) different things.
Sure they can generalize based on your size, current swing speed and some other tendencies/habits.
And it might actually be a good start but if you can get a guy that can help you with your swing first then move into a better suited set, then that is better.
It will and should cost more.

Yes thanks I am taking lessons with a PGA pro and he's been very helpful plan on waiting until the fall to get fitted. Need the next 5-6 months to work on things.

In the market for new irons. Playing sticks that are 16 years old and while I know it's more the swing than the clubs I am hopeful to gain a little more forgiveness and distance as I try to get back into the game.

Gong to wait a few months but researching clubs and places to get fit.

Do you think there is an appreciable difference between going to local PGA pro or local golf headquarters location to get fitted vs paying the extra time and money to drive to Boston area and get fitted by a "top 100 fitter". As a high handicapper who has been out of the game for a long time but used to be around a 14, is that extra investment going to pay off?

Obviously the priority for now is to invest in lessons and practice but when I do drop $1000+ for new clubs I want it to be done right.

Look up Club Champion and see where the nearest location is for you. They do an awesome job at getting fit, will send you all the data and club spec recommendations. Avoid the hard sell because their prices are astronomical, but you can take your data, walk into your local Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy or directly from the OEM of your choice & save some money.

good luck

I have had excellent luck at golf & ski warehouse. If you are thinking about Boston one of their locations might be easier.

I was referred to a local club fitter by one of my customers. The wife and I Haven't been golfing long and got the bug real bad

He sells callaway, nike and kzg. He checked out my starter set and said they were shite. He checked out the wife clevelands and suggested they were perfect for her.

He recommended kzg's, matrix graphite shafts and golf pride grips. Bought irons and wedges and love them. Counting practice, probably have two hundred rounds in them.

I was comfortable because somebodyI respected recommended this guy. I can't second guess every buying decision.

Back