Is there really a Big 3 on the PGA tour?

Nope. Not to me. The players don't play enough to make it a big 3, in my opinion. So what we have is a really deep tour that has some really marketable guys at the top, that have had tremendous success the last 12 months or so.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's mostly marketing. There are 150 guys every week that all have a legit chance at winning. Some guys are more consistent week to week but that's about it. The "big three" were not even part of the mix yesterday aside from Day having a slight chance.

I tend to agree. My eyes tell me that JD and DJ are the cream of the crop right now. Jason needs to put in a little bunker work though.

Day is an amazing bunker player. He had a bad hole on a tough course during a high pressure tournament. It happens, even to the best.

Not taking away from the original "Big 3#". But I think the tour now has a lot more potential to have many many great players. Not to mention you hardly ever see all 3 of them in the same tournament. I think it wouls be different if they were playing week in and week out against each other. But with the wrap around schedule its too hard to do that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't think so, there's lots of talent out there but it just seems too scattered right now to narrow it down to a few.

Not in the sense that we are used to. Jack, Arnie and Gary really were a threat for a time. Now we have 20 guys that could win week in and week out. The top 10 is stacked with so much talent. I don't think three okayers have played at a high levels for an extended amount of time to be called the big three. I'm not even sure who would be a favorite of they all entered the same event.

i'm not sure i keep jordan up there much longer.
Seriously? He isn't playing his best golf right now, but he was still a blowup hole away the the Masters and has won twice this year.
I tend to agree. My eyes tell me that JD and DJ are the cream of the crop right now. Jason needs to put in a little bunker work though.

does he struggle often in bunkers? I don't feel like I noticed it until Oakmont. he really struggled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day is an excellent bunker player, DJ really struggles from the bunkers.

Nope. Not to me. The players don't play enough to make it a big 3, in my opinion. So what we have is a really deep tour that has some really marketable guys at the top, that have had tremendous success the last 12 months or so.

I have to agree. Not right now.

Seriously? He isn't playing his best golf right now, but he was still a blowup hole away the the Masters and has won twice this year.

he still had the blow up hole, and let's not forget about the bogeys before that.

and he seems to have faltered in some big spots this year. he's fighting something, and the more it happens the more I worry it's the little thing between the ears, and boy is that hard to overcome. I hope he turns it around, but right now if he continues to struggle I don't think he belongs at the top.

Attempts to frame the conversation about "the big three" is a tired media trope and attempt to align golf with a simpler idea than the "post-Tiger parity era." Between 1958 and 1975, there was two years where the big three didn't win a major. In that stretch they won the Masters 12 times.

I'm not saying that, in retrospect, we won't talk about some combination of today's best golfers in that light, but it's just silly to try to force it now.

No big 3. Not even close.

I would say no. More like a big 6 or 10 lol. There's too many guys who could turn it on any given week now - and that's a good thing IMO. Keeps things exciting!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's hilarious to me to see people give up on Rory so quickly. It wasn't even (quite) 2 full years ago he won 2 majors in a season. If that's really the shelf life of this sort of thing, Spieth is on his way out without a win this year. And, if that's the timeline we're talking about a concept like the "big 3" is as silly as it sounds. I think the big 3 was useful marketing, but the reality is there are tons of really talented players, and we're going to be lucky enough to watch some great golf for the next decade plus.

Why can't everyone just be happy we have such a deep bench of talent right now? It's so stupid the way they have to keep pushing this stuff.

There are too many talented golfers to say that there is a "Big 3". The fields are deeper than they have ever been. Although I've only played for a little over a year, I've been an avid PGA TOUR fan my entire life.

We've never had such a competitive era. Players have stepped it up so much in the past decade, it's hard to believe. Any given week we are privileged to watch a whole host of golfers that all have a chance to win.

Back