Do you play a goat track ?????

heftylefty

Reaction score
Handicap
I live less than 1/2 a mile from my local course, I consider it a pretty well maintained goat track..LOL...It was once a private CC that fell on hard times and the city bought it..I play it 90% of the time, it's too conveint, rarely crowded, and the price is right...

People of note that have played there Sam Snead won the WV open there when it was Kanawha CC..A few years ago Willie Nelson and his crew played there...

Willie Nelson in WV well that is Royalty and was treated as such...:D

Don't play one, but never pass up the chance. Some of the most entertainment filled rounds in my book.

Often. Me and Renren will meet in the middle from where we live and play claresholm golf course. It gets you through but it works for us if we play together.

No. I don't care how cheap it is I would rather pay a little more and play something decent.

I don't play one regularly now but I certainly have played many and enjoy them. We played a couple classic goat tracks on Master's trip a couple years ago. The first one was especially memorable as a 2.5 hour break from our drive from the Atlanta Airport to where we staying in Hilton Head. We were getting a little restless in the car and stopped in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina at some little muni course. The ranger was very suspicious of 6 guys from California and Minnesota and stalked us the whole way around the course. He was our buddy after about an hour. It was a few beers and a lot of laughs. We went from playing that course that was $22 with cart to playing Harbor Town the next day. I think I had just as much fun and certainly more laughs at the goat track.

I used to live near a 9-hole course which was adjacent to a very well-known country club in central NJ. A lot of people referred to it as a goat track, but I enjoyed playing there. It had arguably the best greens of any public course around, since they were maintained by the country club. It was great for a quick 9, the price was right, and if you varied the club you teed off with, you could hit all of your clubs. And, as a bonus, it had an electric club washer/scrubber that you could use when the round was over - a very nice touch.

Not anymore. I got tired of hitting off dirt patches in the middle of the fairway.

Sometimes. The course that I play during the week could be considered "goat track-ey". But, it's cheap and I can usually get in 18 holes in under 2.5 hours. The greens are usually slow and shaggy, the course drains terribly, but at least there is grass most everywhere. And, usually, during the summer, the greens are in halfway decent shape.

Yeah, there are a couple around these parts and I've played them. Don't really mind ... and forces you to stay on top of your game with some of the "less than stellar" lies you might find yourself in.

Sure! I don't always feel like ponying up a bunch of dough, so I'll go play a goat track.

Sometimes it's fun to just go out to a local with a loose definition of fairway vs rough with no sand. I don't generally play them, but love that they exist for everyone to play the game at a cheaper rate.

Don't always, but if the price to play it is right on par with hitting a large bucket of balls? The goat track wins.

Not always, but for the most part I'll play just about anywhere

There's one near work. Sometimes on golf now you can play it for $9-$10 for 18 so I'm all over it.

Sometimes it's fun to just go out to a local with a loose definition of fairway vs rough with no sand. I don't generally play them, but love that they exist for everyone to play the game at a cheaper rate.

We have Fairway, Rough and NO-MOW....Do not go in the NO-MOW !!!

I usually play some pretty rough courses because they are super cheap and not busy. Makes me appreciate when I play really good courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes. The course that I play during the week could be considered "goat track-ey". But, it's cheap and I can usually get in 18 holes in under 2.5 hours. The greens are usually slow and shaggy, the course drains terribly, but at least there is grass most everywhere. And, usually, during the summer, the greens are in halfway decent shape.

This sounds exactly like a course by my house. Not in the best shape but price and convenience keep me going back.

There are a couple of goat tracks in the Fort Worth area (Willow Springs, Lost Creek, Sycamore, Timberview--now closed) that I have played. I consider them good courses to regain lost confidence and to practice without taking it too seriously. The sad thing is, with just a little effort all of them could be nice tracks. I think what makes them fun now is getting on one of these with some old friends and having a few brews, and not even considering what I am shooting.

My league is played at a goat trackish course. It is green but the greens are super small, flat domes and always long slow and bumpy. But they only charge us a dollar for beers so we stay?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's about all I play...it's the only way I can afford the game. It's getting tougher to find them though. A while ago a few public's got bought out by Va beach (becoming munis) The conditions didn't improve...but like everything else in VA Beach, the prices went up.

My practice 9 is about 10 minutes from my house and is a true Goat track. I think a farmer owns it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

the course that is the closest to me and I play in a league at is a small rinkydink 9 hole course. Now yes it is an absolute goat track but some of the smallest greens anywhere. It is a course that really requires a short game to score on.

These will always hold a special place for me. The course I learned to play on, and to love golf, was definitely a goat track. Pine Valley in Sherwood AR. Never had to call ahead, and it was $20.50 for 18 holes, a cart, and 2 gatorades. Pretty bad as far as the conditions are concerned, but I always enjoyed it. Haven't gone back there in quite some time, though I'd like to.

Any place that has tee box, fairway, and a green are OK by me. I just love playing. I have played what some would consider a real goat track, and have had more fun than on a top of the list course ... its all about whom I am sharing the experience with.

I have discovered the more someone bills a course as really beautiful, the more extra balls I need to bring. :act-up:

Nope, I wouldn't mind going with the goats here and there to save some money, but I'm lucky to live where there are tons of courses and the town discounts make some decent courses affordable.

Back