Cleveland Black Driver Review

The high density tape in my view was a good choice. The hot melt would be even better no doubt, but you need to find out if this will be your go to before going there.

Yep and if it's going to be a long term gamer I will probably try to find a better shim than the one I crafted last night.

I know some guys have mentioned "low spin" with this driver.

I have to ask: Low spin compared to what?

The loved the cleveland classic, and the classic custom. Is this new cleveland black in the same realm, or is the new "Black" something that is even more low spin? Is it low compared to the new Srixon offerings?

Maybe we need a scale of low-spiness?

The loved the cleveland classic, and the classic custom. Is this new cleveland black in the same realm, or is the new "Black" something that is even more low spin? Is it low compared to the new Srixon offerings?

The only driver I hit it next to was the 915 D2 and it was 400rpm (I think) lower for me that day.

Keep in mind though that was only one day with a very human golf swing. I'm not a robot.

It was lower spin than the PING G30, Titleist 915D3, Cobra Bio Cell+ and a few others for me on that day.
It will never be the lowest spinning driver. And for that I am glad. But what it does, is bring lower spin than the previous line and put it in line with some other really solid releases.

I've not tried this one out yet, but will today.

I picked it based on a few things, but a lot of it was after seeing it perform at the W/S event in October with their lightweight setup and a very similar swing to mine. The 50 is a little different than the other versions. Don't think I'd be able to do much with them.
Thank you for your response, I hear you there. So many different variations and factors to account for. Will be interested in your experience with these.

13.9/2004 average with the fuel. Lost about a half mph of swing speed and no real difference in ball speed.

Those are pretty awesome launch numbers. How would you compare it to the 545 (spin/launch) ?

13.9/2004 average with the fuel. Lost about a half mph of swing speed and no real difference in ball speed.
Still in that +9.5 yards range?

Is that the spin numbers you like to see, you used to struggle with too low of spin didn't you

Those are pretty awesome launch numbers. How would you compare it to the 545 (spin/launch) ?
I don't really know Joe. I gifted that away two months ago and hadn't hit it for a month before that.
Still in that +9.5 yards range?
Farther total, but I don't have the exact number.
Is that the spin numbers you like to see, you used to struggle with too low of spin didn't you
As long as I don't die on the toe I'm OK. Toe side dropped to the 16-1700 range, which is doable.

That fuel feels very stout for a 50-ish gram shaft. My launch dropped considerably.

I don't really know Joe. I gifted that away two months ago and hadn't hit it for a month before that.

Farther total, but I don't have the exact number.

As long as I don't die on the toe I'm OK. Toe side dropped to the 16-1700 range, which is doable.

Or according to one company...Ideal. :D

Wow hawkbombs....now I'm really intrigued

That fuel feels very stout for a 50-ish gram shaft. My launch dropped considerably.

I've always found the real Fuel really stout, it's a different feeling shaft.

Those are some nice numbers Hawk, makes me much more curious about this head.

I've always found the real Fuel really stout, it's a different feeling shaft.

Those are some nice numbers Hawk, makes me much more curious about this head.
I have never minded a stout shaft, played the Black tie and alot of x flex shafts, and even briefly fooled around with the aldila NV 80x. but that thing felt like a piece of rebar. I wonder if the 50 has a different flex.

Picked one up today at the golf store and noticed the shaft was very wippy. Anyone else notice that?

Picked one up today at the golf store and noticed the shaft was very wippy. Anyone else notice that?

Wardy said the same thing in hand before hitting it. Had no issues however.

Interesting. I didn't end up hitting it but it was a quick observation.

Makes sense Nate. It's a tip soft shaft that's well below your normal comfort zone.

Makes sense Nate. It's a tip soft shaft that's well below your normal comfort zone.

I can see how this driver could be a launcher....if the shaft holds up then there is a lot of power to be used.

Feel isn't always real. It had no problem keeping up with me, which meant I could let it loose and not be concerned.

Yep and if it's going to be a long term gamer I will probably try to find a better shim than the one I crafted last night.

Check out the plastic ones that have a ferrule attached (ONE PIECE CONSTRUCTION), they are one solid piece and when sliding it over the tip since it has sort of a web design with open areas you still see parts of the shaft tip. According to my master status club maker friend it is the very best type to use, pretty sure Golfworks has them. You will have to do a little turning down on the ferrule for professional look. Also in turning down the ferrule my primitive way of doing it with acetone on a rag is a b*tch because unlike normal ferrules the material on the shim he gave me takes a lot of effort to arrive at the correct look.

I really like the the way my driver collection performs, but after all I only have 3 winners to choose from. This one will be on my radar big time unless I stop reading here. No hurry can easily wait months. So down the line, God willing, this one could be me.
With what I am reading lately about " whippy" I am going back to my original take on this one. Will have to hit the R and S flex in order to see if I really need to jump up a flex as I had to do in the case of the C Kua 39. Maybe unlike the c kua the degree of whippy in the shaft profile in this one will be a closer call for me since Hawk has put in his review that this shaft is not as whippy and more true to flex.

Back