Trying To Break 90 Club

42/46 - 88 today. Same course, same golfer, 10 strokes better today than yesterday.

Hit 7 FWs and only 2 GIRs. 31 putts.

Missed a 5 footer on the last hole for par that would've tied my PB.

Congrats 5150!

Thanks so-illhacker! It was a bit of a smoke and mirrors round. Only 2 GIRs... that's where I need to improve. If I can push that to 9 or 10 I can start posting in the Trying to Break 80 thread.

Thats kind of what I was thinking, your short game must have been pretty solid today. With 31 putts you must have put more than a few chips pretty close.

Thats kind of what I was thinking, your short game must have been pretty solid today. With 31 putts you must have put more than a few chips pretty close.

Yeah... one-putted 6 holes. Over my last 100 rounds I am averaging just under 2 putts so GIR is where it's at if I want to pick up more strokes. That and penalties. I had 2 penalties today.

Yeah... one-putted 6 holes. Over my last 100 rounds I am averaging just under 2 putts so GIR is where it's at if I want to pick up more strokes. That and penalties. I had 2 penalties today.
It's interesting if you have a scorekeeping app that tracks putts both overall and when you hit a GIR. Overall I'm a little under 1.8 but 2.0+ when I'm on in regulation.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Trying To Break 90 Club

I'm at 1.9 putts per hole and 2.0 putts per GIR.

Out of curiosity what total yardage courses are is everyone playing? If I play the whites it's 6575 if I move up and play the yellows that's around 6100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whites at my home course are only 5978. Blues are 6641. I stick with the whites at that course.

I'm on the hunt. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day! It will be good to get back in the eightys again it's been a long time for me. A ten year layoff hurts.

I'm on the hunt. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day! It will be good to get back in the eightys again it's been a long time for me. A ten year layoff hurts.

Best of luck!

Whites at my home course are only 5978. Blues are 6641. I stick with the whites at that course.

Yellows this morning I think and see what if any difference I score.

42/46 - 88 today. Same course, same golfer, 10 strokes better today than yesterday.

Hit 7 FWs and only 2 GIRs. 31 putts.

Missed a 5 footer on the last hole for par that would've tied my PB.

Nice work playing winter golf!

I got to play yesterday for the first time in a month, I also hit almost a full bucket of ball before my round. Mostly driver, it's still wonky and I'm playing around with different shaft. I hit my 7i and PW and played around with my setup. I've been getting some really toe heavy divots and it causes some dispersion issues. So I played around with my posture and setup to where the heel was grounded at address. It gave me nice square divots, but I need to practice a lot more that way to gain consistency.

For my round I left the driver out of the bag and hit 3W off the tee all day, ended up hitting 71% FIR and only 28% GIR. Irons cost me a lot of strokes today, but with some more practice with my new setup I think it should go way up. Finished the day with 33 putts and only one 3-putt, so not a terrible day on the greens. Shot a 47/43 for a 90, definitely played way better on the back and hit 100% FIR and 33% GIR. Lost one in water and kept them out of the woods.

Hey so-illhacker; I'm up in Edwardsville just outside STL. We should meet in the middle for a round one of these days.

Hey so-illhacker; I'm up in Edwardsville just outside STL. We should meet in the middle for a round one of these days.

Sounds good, we'll get something planned this spring but I don't know how many courses are between us. I'll be up there this Spring quite a bit, we could just play one of the courses around you. My son will be playing soccer every other weekend around O'Fallon.

Yes, I forgot about that, it is in IL. I'll be up for trying just about any course. I'm always looking for another course to throw in the rotation.

Cool; we'll sort it out. Any other Breaking 90 club members up for a meetup in the STL area in the spring? A couple rounds (beer and golf) can't hurt us :)

Out of curiosity what total yardage courses are is everyone playing? If I play the whites it's 6575 if I move up and play the yellows that's around 6100.

Whites are 6075, blues are 6500, and blacks are 6870. I usually play the blues unless I'm playing with a group that wants to play the whites. Right now they only have out th white tees and the women's tees, which are 5500 yards.

Walked 9 at a local 2,650y par 35 course today. Shot 43. 3 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles. Hit 5 FWs but only 1 GIR. 16 putts - greens were REALLY slow, which is bad for me. Could not talk myself into putting the ball hard enough today.

I made a conscious effort to be a little smarter (especially off the tee) today and grab the club that got me the best approach yardage and, more importantly, took trouble out of play. There are 6 par 4s on that are under 340y so it is tempting to grab driver but I resisted today and just used my 3 or 4hyb instead. It paid off with the 5 FWs hit but I still need to tighten up the approach shots.

I played my home course a couple of days back and moved up to the yellows and it made no difference in my score.

Played this morning and had a 93, out in 48 back in 45. 3 Pars, 9 Bogies and 6 Doubles. I know where I lost my shots this morning, 1 ball went for a early bath, 5 duffed chips just off the green and a 4 putt on a par 5 that I hit in regulation. 5 GIR of which I par'd 2, bogie'd 2 and double'd 1. I was missing fairways right but only just off them apart from 1 big slice onto the next fairway and 1 small slice into the trees. That gave me a quandry, it was the par 5 18th hole, the sensible shot would have been a chip and run down the fairway. Instead I went a 4 hybrid between the trees. A quality strike straight into a tree with a ricochet right, this was then followed up by a low flying 4 iron which went exactly where I was aiming. In hindsight a better 2nd shot would have been a 7 iron hit low and running back on to the fairway.

My wife who is currently playing off a 22 also hit 93, 47 out 46 in. The last few weeks she has been consistently getting low 90's and has dropped her handicap over 1 point the last 3 rounds.

48 on the front - hit 3 FWs and no greens with one penalty and 19 putts.

Had a little talk with myself on the way to the back 9, set a goal of 41 (tying my PB 9 hole score) for the back and went to work.

Hit 4 FWs, 3 greens and 16 putts with an up/down for par on 18 to get to 41 (89).

Lots of positives today. Only one penalty and 5 pars on the back. Cheers everyone!

Trying To Break 90 Club

64 degrees and sunny in STL so I grabbed lunch and then went for another 9 at the 2,650 par 35. Shot a 40 with 5 pars, 3 bogeys and a double. Two different rounds/courses, I know, but pretty damn pleased with the +5 41 on the back this morning and +5 40 this afternoon. Hopefully the weather will hold for a few more days.

*Edited to fix a typo

64 degrees and sunny in STL so I grabbed lunch and then went for another 9 at the 2,650 par 35. Shot a 40 with 5 pars, 3 bogeys and a double. Two different rounds/courses, I know, but pretty damn pleased with the +5 41 on the back this morning and +5 40 this afternoon. Hopefully the weather will hold for a few more days.

*Edited to fix a typo

That's a good day of golf! A 41 and a 40 are seriously solid rounds man. I gotta admit I'm pretty jealous too, a buddy texted me earlier to go play and I just couldn't bail on work today. I'm hoping the weather holds out for Saturday or Sunday.

I was wondering if the good weather extended down your way so-illhacker. Hopefully you can get in a few more rounds. Supposed to be nice here thru Saturday.

Bouncing in and out of this thread.
Yesterday - 100.
Today - 89.
The difference? Driving and putting. Kept myself in play for most of today, only two 3 putts (both from more than 45 ft).

Back