Your View on Stock Shafts

I have found most stock shafts have worked with my swing. Its even better when OEMs are offering multiple stock shafts for no upcharge. I have had a few drivers that I switched to an aftermarket shaft because they felt better to me and I didnt feel like i was leaving something behind.

I have never had any issues with breakage or other defects with stock shafts and never considered stock shafts to be cheap, just that some of the head/shaft combo weren't the best setup for my swing.

I believe 90% here don't give them the chance that they should.

Having read enough about shafts on THP, Jman has described it pretty darn well. I know that shafts get chosen because of the necessity to fit the most golfers. The middle of the bell curve. I like to start with stock shafts but will change depending on fit.

this tracks with handicap.

the higher the more likely stock should work (as other things are influencing performance).

Was fitted for a driver and place suggested a $300-400 up charge. Instead 2 inch tipped the X stiff and got close.
For a 15-17 handicap.....close enough.

I usually can swing the stock, but usually find something a little better in an aftermarket. and call me silly, but I think it's cool to have an upgraded shaft (as long as it still works for you!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know NOTHING about shafts other than I was fit for my shaft in my current driver and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I also am playing a Heavenwood with a bone stock REGULAR flex shaft with a 111 mph driver swing speed and I wouldn't change THAT for the world.

So unless I'm fit into a shaft, or a shaft is suggested (fairway) based off what I fit into (driver), I will most definitely play the stock shaft.

Simple, people over think them. They'd work for a huge majority of people i bet but some seem to think they are a inferior product

I don't have a lot of confidence in shafts that have been modified from their 'aftermarket' look to accommodate a club, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other. I'm not the average golfer in spin/launch/speed/etc/etc that a typical company is going to try and build a shaft into a head for - So for the most part I focus on the head and utilize my own shafts after I find a head I like (Current gamer/review not included).

I don't view them negatively, but I haven't been fitted yet and I'm sure my opinion will change after more practice and a fitting.

My view used to be that they were all crap (about 5 years ago), now I find that most are pretty dang good.

Currently, I will have between 0-1 aftermarket shafts in my bag. I have 2 drivers with Kusala white shafts in them, but at this point I think the stock shaft in my X2 Hot is giving me the best results.

I try them and then go from there. The fact that Callaway offers so many at no upgrade charge is great as I can typically find something in those that pops.

I rarely can find a driver shaft that works for me. Most end us with too much backspin and a high draw. I usually need a low torque/low spin shaft to get my best out of a head...

I'm actually using the stock Big Bertha Alpha in my current Alpha 815. Just works better for me but it's still just a stock shaft.

I will say this though and I said this in the other thread, I had a stock regular flex shaft in my Razrfit xtreme and when it was put on the monitor it measures closer to senior flex. The head club builder for the PGA superstore said that the stock shafts aren't always the best since they are so massed produced that quality does suffer. Was he wrong??? Maybe but for me the fact remains I had a shaft that didn't live up to the specks it should of so because of that I was more inclined to believe him.

I'm a bit of a shaft snob and I don't really know where it started or why.
I played the stock shaft in my 915D2 for the last season so it's not like I'm anti-stock shaft or anything, it just depends what it is.

Not so much that it is stock, but tend to be biased against shafts that are long, lightweight, high spin and high launch.

I've used stock shafts forever. I'm cheap.

Certain brands stock shafts I've found to be really good and others rubbish. Callaway, Srixon and Titleist are good IMO. TaylorMade, I've yet to find a good stock shaft. It might just be me but every time I pick one off the rack and swing it it feels like a pool noodle.

Stock is fine, I'm no where good enough to be able to feel the difference in high end custom jobs.

My last three drivers have all been stock shafted drivers. One of the drivers was not right for me and the other two have been solid and one is my current gamer.

I think ink the stock shafts have come a long way, I think people can probably find an up charge that might work better, but for that much improvement In driver performance it probably isn't that shaft.

I've slowly come to the realization that I'm very much the "average" golfer - so, that stock shaft is likely made for pretty much my swing speed/profile. That matches pretty well with my experience. I've had good success with the stock shafts in both the Bertha and the Srixon 545. I'm not sure throwing another shaft in there would really improve performance for either of them for me.

And I'm with Pete. I want to change NOTHING about that Heavenwood.

Until a few years ago I believed the stock shafts were just fine. However, after putting an after-market shaft in one of my drivers a couple of years ago, I've changed my mind.

I just "bit the bullet" for some re-shafting tools and accessories, and plan to tinker around a bit with some drivers. Now I've got to find some sources for decent 2nd hand reshafted shafts.

Most driver fittings I've had ended up with a stock shaft being just as good for me as any other.

It is nice to see all the options available now as standard option at no up charge.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My stock shaft is a UST Elements Chrome. Anybody says it's junk, we can have words. :angel:

It's probably the right shaft for me--it's certainly the model UST created for guys who swing like I do.

It is nice to see all the options available now as standard option at no up charge.

I hate to break it to you, but OEMs aren't charities. Why do you think that "no upcharge" driver costs $450 when the "custom shaft extra" drivers are closer to $300?

Before THP, I never would've given them a second thought. That was before I knew I should get fitted for my clubs as well. I think the stock shafts are great, but I do love the upgrade (especially the free upgrades) option.

Too many people automatically discount them and continue to play shaft roulette until they sell the driver. I don't mind giving the stock stuff a try. I prefer to find a head I like and get fitted for that head.

Back