Stars Pulling Out of the Olympics

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of piling it into the Adam Scott thread, it deserves its own.

Jason Day added to the list today joining.

Rory
Adam Scott
Vijay
Schwartzel
Oosty
G-Mac (baby coming)
MAJ
Grace
Leishman
Shane Lowry

And more are on the way I have a feeling.

Last edited:
Stars Pulling Out of the Olympics

If I were in their position there is no way I would play at the Olympics. I heard a good analogy the other day. If someone gave you a bowl full of 10,000 jellybeans and one of those jellybeans was poisonous would you eat any of the jellybeans? Being young and I'm ready to start a family, The Zeke a virus is just too much of a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely think that list grows by quite a few more once its all said and done

definitely think that list grows by quite a few more once its all said and done
So do I. I just don't see any of the top pros risking it.

The more you hear about Rio the more you realize it's a complete mess. It's sad to see but no matter what the sport I don't hold it against them.

I think the real shame here is people (the IOC) will see this as stars just not wanting to play in the olympics instead of recognizing that the poorly chosen location caused many of these guys to opt out.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I think the real shame here is people (the IOC) will see this as stars just not wanting to play in the olympics instead of recognizing that the poorly chosen location caused many of these guys to opt out.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket
Exactly

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jason Day's statement:

CmCQlLKWYAAYEw_.jpg:large

Also, golf will be in the 2020 Olympics, but there is a vote between 2016 and 2020 that will occur for the IOC to keep golf in the Olympics past 2020. It's hard to see that happening with all of the WDs for this year.

I agree I think we will see more drop as well. Maybe the IOC should have picked a better place to host them, what a disaster.

If you're in any of the "big" (non-olympic) sports, I don't see why you make the trip on this one - I'd imagine most of the guys in the US and Europe rate the majors and Ryder Cup well above the Olympic event. Add in the fact that the format is just another 72 hole tournament, and I can see why they're doing this. It's a disaster in so many ways, and on top of the Zika concerns, there are huge safety concerns as well.

The PGA guys are lucky they have the luxury of dropping out from an event stand point and financially it is not a HUGE deal for them, but there are many other sports that don't have that luxury.

No way I would go & the Zika virus is just one reason.

I saw this morning where some construction isn't even complete and infrastructure won't be ready. There are real security concerns as well. Just a poor choice of location and the Zika is making it easy to pull out without bringing up the other issues

I feel like they should just move the golf portion of the olympics to another place... You clearly won't have the best in the world at the event and that is the idea of the Olympics so what's the point? Depending on how many drop there would be an asterisk beside the medal winners in my opinion. "These guys won medals but 35 of the top 50 players in the world didn't compete." This is a disaster. It's crazy to think they didn't see this coming.

If I were in their position there is no way I would play at the Olympics. I heard a good analogy the other day. If someone gave you a bowl full of 10,000 jellybeans and one of those jellybeans was poisonous would you eat any of the jellybeans? Being young and I'm ready to start a family, The Zeke a virus is just too much of a risk.

Great analogy

I guess I am a flip flopped on this. When they 1st started pulling out I didn't like it one bit, but the more that drop and the more I hear about the total mess things are I can't blame them much at all. There are several of the NBA stars that have dropped out as well. Heck, I wouldn't go either. This Olympics is probably going to be a disaster.

I feel like they should just move the golf portion of the olympics to another place... You clearly won't have the best in the world at the event and that is the idea of the Olympics so what's the point? Depending on how many drop there would be an asterisk beside the medal winners in my opinion. "These guys won medals but 35 of the top 50 players in the world didn't compete." This is a disaster. It's crazy to think they didn't see this coming.

That would just make the golfers look bad as they scramble to come up with another reason not to play. :D

I honestly can't blame them, I wouldn't go even if they paid me.

I still think it's lame for the majority to back out. If you and your wife are trying to, or having, a baby I get it. But for guys like Vijay and Rory, I still think it's lame.

fwiw, i never understood the professionals playing in the olympics.... baseball, basketball etc.. now golf. It's supposed to be about amateurs, and this just makes it a joke. A team of guys from Latvia or wherever are never going to have a chance against Lebron James and others, so why would golf be any different. As an aside, all these stupid 'non olympic sports' are ruining it too. Ugh. TV ratings. Well they got what they deserve with RIO so i have no issue with these golfers dropping out.

That would just make the golfers look bad as they scramble to come up with another reason not to play. :D

Exactly, for most it's just a scape goat.

Jason Day now...

fwiw, i never understood the professionals playing in the olympics.... baseball, basketball etc.. now golf. It's supposed to be about amateurs, and this just makes it a joke. A team of guys from Latvia or wherever are never going to have a chance against Lebron James and others, so why would golf be any different. As an aside, all these stupid 'non olympic sports' are ruining it too. Ugh. TV ratings. Well they got what they deserve with RIO so i have no issue with these golfers dropping out.
I agree about the professionals. I think it screams money grab and it is a shame imo. I personally hope this changes some things on how the ioc operates but I am sure it will not

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If it were one country doing it, it would be an issue, however watching NBA stars for years go and play in the Olympics against the US college kids is what started it.

I can't blame any of them. Hearing all the news of violence and health concerns (not just Zika), there's no way I would want to be part of it. I understand it looks bad on some levels, but keeping people safe should be our number one priority, regardless of the magnitude of the event.

Back