Chippers. Would you game one?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
With Callaway announcing the X-Act Tank Chipper this morning, ( which preview thread can be found here; http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?83933-Odyssey-X-Act-Tank-Chippers-Preview ), it got me thinking about this club and the stigma it carries with it.

When I first started, I had a cheap chipper that I found in my Dads bag, and I put it in mine, because why not make the game easier?

Over the years, chippers have evolved. We have seen Cleveland launch the Niblick which TONS of people gamed. Odyssey has had the Marxman out on shelves in the past. Cleveland came back with the Smart Sole wedges which takes a wedge and pairs it with the old style of chippers.

Having gamed each of these, I have always had success with them. I currently still came the Cleveland Smart Sole wedges and just find it a solid club for my bag. People often mock it, say it's a cheater club or whatever, but if the goal of the game is to put clubs in the bag that help you score better, what's the problem?

What are your thoughts on a chipper?

I have not problem with those who use one. I haven't found one that I like, and I'm not saying I would or wouldn't game one, but right now I don't. I'd give it a shot before I'd say no.

nope. I hit too many greens :cool:

but seriously. I don't think I would use enough to justify it as one of my 14 gamers.

My head tells me this is a club people should have in the bag (in direct contrast to 60* and higher wedges), but I have to admit to having the immediate negative reaction to it.

I'd game a good one. Assuming it fit my needs and I needed something in that space. right now I've got the room in my bag, so Yeah. I'd game one.

I personally wouldn't use one, but have no problem with those who choose too. I remember some of the older guys who played with my dad using them back in the day, but I haven't seen anyone use one in years.

With Callaway announcing the X-Act Tank Chipper this morning, ( which preview thread can be found here; http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?83933-Odyssey-X-Act-Tank-Chippers-Preview ), it got me thinking about this club and the stigma it carries with it.

When I first started, I had a cheap chipper that I found in my Dads bag, and I put it in mine, because why not make the game easier?

Over the years, chippers have evolved. We have seen Cleveland launch the Niblick which TONS of people gamed. Odyssey has had the Marxman out on shelves in the past. Cleveland came back with the Smart Sole wedges which takes a wedge and pairs it with the old style of chippers.

Having gamed each of these, I have always had success with them. I currently still came the Cleveland Smart Sole wedges and just find it a solid club for my bag. People often mock it, say it's a cheater club or whatever, but if the goal of the game is to put clubs in the bag that help you score better, what's the problem?

What are your thoughts on a chipper?
I have to admit I see the stigma in it... and don't know if I'd use it enough to replace a club in my bag... but with the same thinking I rarely use my 60* as I haven't perfected the flop, I'd love to give one a try for a round or 2 before passing any actual judgement

If it is JUST a chipper, no, I wouldn't.

If it was like a Niblick which could be used as a chiper and still a full/partial swing wedge, hell yes, I have and would again.

Nope. Nothing I can see taking out of my bag for a chipper.

I have a hard enough time putting, I definitely don't want to put anything in my bag that makes any part of the short game *more* like putting.

:p

And replace one of my wedges? Not a chance.

I have a hard enough time putting, I definitely don't want to put anything in my bag that makes any part of the short game *more* like putting.

:p
This. Right or wrong I'm more confident in my chipping than my putting or chutting.

It has very little to do with the stigma of using a chipper though. Around the greens I need help with my bunker game so I could use a "cheater" type club, such as a smart sole in those circumstances.

Nope. I'm comfortable with my wedges on the shots I would use a chipper for.

Not enough room in the bag to make room for this one.

Not a chance. I cant put a club in my bag that makes me want to vomit when I look at it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't, as there isn't a club in my bag that I would want to give up in order to do so, and I feel pretty comfortable using the clubs I do have for those types of shots. However I am all for making the game easier, and if it helps others have fun and play better more power to them. I would not be the guy that would criticize/razz someone else for using one at all.

Chippers. Would you game one?

No for me, but I do have one (Cleveland Smart Sole) and came to the conclusion that I can play the same shot with my 9 iron (same loft). That being said, a bump and run chip has become my go-to short game shot and I practice and play it quite a bit. I can see these clubs helping anyone who is either not comfortable with, or struggles with that type of shot.

They aren't for me but I know they help people. I just don't understand why they are so ugly.

Not a chance. I cant put a club in my bag that makes me want to vomit when I look at it.

Because that RX3 just screams BEAUTY.

And you played the J815 I believe...haha

I would not, but mostly because it wouldn't work in most situations at my home courses (few greens with areas that a low chip would work due to elevated greens with steep banks).

If it is JUST a chipper, no, I wouldn't.

If it was like a Niblick which could be used as a chiper and still a full/partial swing wedge, hell yes, I have and would again.
As I've found a place in my bag for a 64 wedge, I think with a little versatility, like a Niblick, I could totally see one finding it's way into my bag!

Because that RX3 just screams BEAUTY.
To you it might not be nice but to me its fine looking down at, not saying pretty just doesnt make me want to vomit. To each their own. All chippers including that new odyssey are ugly as all heck to me and will never be in my bag. Great thing about options for people.

And you played the J815 I believe...haha
Again not being pretty and making me want to vomit are two very different things.

Back