You Are Great

Handicap
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22,516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosejaa View Post
    No real issue, just found it funny that a signing of a teaching pro was touted but PXG's signings were dismissed by some as insignificant or irrelevant because not all were well known LPGA pros, even Lydia Ko.
    Up to the point where you posted the comparison, there were 5 responses in the first 7 hours of the thread going up.

If someone follows the top 100 teacher list closely and sees a change locally to them, and decides to make a thread... Is it not more power to them to do so? I don't feel impacted at all by the recent Cobra signing, but I would be those local to that area find it more appealing or at the very least on par with the Ko signing (as an example).
    In my Team Hackers Vessel/Cobra Arnold Palmer Stand Bag

KING F9 Speedback 9* Driver
    KING F9 Speedback 13.5* Tour Fairway
    KING Black 18* Utility Iron
    KING F9 Speedback 4/5 Irons
    KING Forged TEC Black 6-G Irons
    KING Black 54/58 Wedges
    Super Rat -or- Spider X Putter

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadan View Post
    Up to the point where you posted the comparison, there were 5 responses in the first 7 hours of the thread going up.

If someone follows the top 100 teacher list closely and sees a change locally to them, and decides to make a thread... Is it not more power to them to do so? I don't feel impacted at all by the recent Cobra signing, but I would be those local to that area find it more appealing or at the very least on par with the Ko signing (as an example).
    I'm not making a point about that, I think it's interesting, just as I thought the PXG signings were interesting. The PXG signings thread was questioned to the point of why it was even created because of the relevance of the signings. If your principle applies across the board why was that even a discussion?
    In my Players 5 Stand Bag:
    Driver: M1 430 (2016)
    3-Wood: Super S Speedline 15*

Hybrid: Red 20*
    Irons: CB PROh 4 Tour Preferred CB 2014 (5-PW)
    Wedges: TGS Tour Grind 431 52*/56*/60*
    Putter: Spider Limited
    Red w/
    Flatso Ultra

You Are Great

Handicap
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22,516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosejaa View Post
    I'm not making a point about that, I think it's interesting, just as I thought the PXG signings were interesting. The PXG signings thread was questioned to the point of why it was even created because of the relevance of the signings. If your principle applies across the board why was that even a discussion?
    I think the dislike of PXG merits a response for many. That Cobra hasn't gone about the golf industry in a similar fashion is probably why a handful of THPers didn't jump into that thread and share their complete lack of interest.

Should be pretty easy to read between the lines here (by the way people post). Some companies are well received, and some come in hot without their landing gear down.
    In my Team Hackers Vessel/Cobra Arnold Palmer Stand Bag

KING F9 Speedback 9* Driver
    KING F9 Speedback 13.5* Tour Fairway
    KING Black 18* Utility Iron
    KING F9 Speedback 4/5 Irons
    KING Forged TEC Black 6-G Irons
    KING Black 54/58 Wedges
    Super Rat -or- Spider X Putter

Handicap
    depends on
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    I have a set of Mizuno MP, Cobra CB/MB and PXG Gen 1s irons. All of these sets are some nice wedges. My picks Look-Cobra- Address-Cobra. Feel-Mizuno. Performance-PXG. Distance-PXG. Druver list Driver PXG 08119 ° LX Fujikura xlr8t shaft, F8+ 9° Nardo hzrdus yellow, F9 9° Atmos shaft and I got stuck with a Titleist TS2(giving to me, I would spend a penny on titliest) Mitsubishi tensei. Look-PXG. Address- F8+ Distance- not even close PXG. Forgiveness- PXG, Performance PXG. PXG does cost $ ( Military discount) helps big. $ 280 -350 for driver with discounts

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    F9 9° Atmos Blue 7R
    F9 3/4 FW Atmos Blue 7R
    F9° 5/6 FW Atmos Blue 7R
    F9° Hybrid Atmos Blue 7R
    F9 4 iron Recoil 760es swf4ip
    CB 5 6 $
    MB 7 8 9 PW $
    52° 54° midsize grips
    Si5
    any SNELL

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    If you like them and can afford them, I say go for it. No hate here, just not willing to pay that for clubs that will not make me that much better.
    In My Bag:
    10.5 EXS Driver
    Original One Driver 13.5
    5 EXS Fairway Wood
    7 EXS Fairway Wood
    5 EXS Hybrid
    6 EXS Hybrid
    C300 Forged Irons 7-GW
    Mack Daddy PM 54 Wedge
    Mack Daddy PM 58 Wedge
    Mack Daddy PM Grind 64 Wedge
    O-Works 2 Ball Fang- Gamecock Red
    Possibly the most important: Ball retreiver

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seastrunk For This Useful Post:

AcushnetGolf (06-16-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Wouldn’t pay full retail for them, but they are the best irons and hybrids I’ve ever had.
    Bag: Warbird Hot
    Driver: 9064ls
    Hybrids: Mashie M1 15.5*, Rescue mid 19*
    Irons: MX-200 4-GW
    Wedges: 8620 53* 58*
    Putter: Ghost Spider
    Ball: Burner TP LDP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Minarets For This Useful Post:

AcushnetGolf (06-16-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryebread View Post
    Some thoughts.....
    "A fool and his money are soon parted..."

"Caveat emptor..."

"There's a sucker born every day and two there to take them...."

Personally I harbor Parsons and PXG no ill will. I wouldn't buy the gear, but I think he/they are smart enough to pick up on part of the human psyche and exploit it. Keep in mind that these are ALL luxury goods, no matter if they are Pinemeadow or PXG. It's just where one is trying to operate on that curve.

To me, PXG is a lot like some of the high end watch brands. A $2 Chinese digital watch will tell time just as well.
    PXG definitely falls into the luxury category where the customers are paying for exclusivity, not better performance. They guys I knew at my last club that gamed them also drove Maseratis, S Class Mercedes, a 911 Turbo, and even a Bentley. They all couldn’t necessarily easily afford those cars but their ego’s needed to have them. I have yet to run into a low single digit golfer gaming a set of PXG irons but I’ve seen dozens with Miura’s.

I’ve always preferred gaming a set of irons that is less popular but would never consider PXG because IMO they offer zero performance benefit and project an image that I’m not comfortable with. Three of my last 4 sets of irons have either been Wilson Staffs and my current set from Srixon. One of my old neighbors who gamed the PXG’s I think felt a little sorry for my that I had to settle for Srixon’s.
    White Hot Pro #7 385 gram
    Epic SZ w/ Rogue 70 I/O Silver
    Original One Mini 13.5* Rogue I/O Silver
    XR16 Pro 4w Tour Green 75x
    Srixon Z765 6-GW DG x100 AMT
    Srixon Z565 5 iron
    Titleist 503h 19*
    Cleveland RTX3 60 MG
    Cleveland RTX4 56
    TP5x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tahoebum For This Useful Post:

Danimal (06-17-2019)

Handicap
    #
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebum View Post
    PXG definitely falls into the luxury category where the customers are paying for exclusivity, not better performance. They guys I knew at my last club that gamed them also drove Maseratis, S Class Mercedes, a 911 Turbo, and even a Bentley. They all couldn’t necessarily easily afford those cars but their ego’s needed to have them. I have yet to run into a low single digit golfer gaming a set of PXG irons but I’ve seen dozens with Miura’s.

I’ve always preferred gaming a set of irons that is less popular but would never consider PXG because IMO they offer zero performance benefit and project an image that I’m not comfortable with. Three of my last 4 sets of irons have either been Wilson Staffs and my current set from Srixon. One of my old neighbors who gamed the PXG’s I think felt a little sorry for my that I had to settle for Srixon’s.
    For your first comment, I've only seen a handful of people with PXG's and all of them are single digits. I've never seen anyone with Miura's in the wild, I'm sure only because they are not really advertised to the average golfer.

On the second comment, I agree with you. The PXG's will do nothing for you that a comparable set from another major OEM couldn't do at a lesser price. The only reason I have them is because they cost me so much less with the Hero's program (less than a set of Srixon's would have cost me).
    OGIO Silencer Stand Bag
    Driver: PXG 0811X 7.5*, PX EvenFlow Blk 75/6.5
    Fairway: PXG 0341 13.5*, PX EvenFlow Blk 75/6.5
    Irons: PXG 0311T 3-PW, TT Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Wedges: PXG 0311 50*/54*/58*, TT DG TI X100
    Putter: PXG Bat Attack H, SS Flatso 1.0 Black
    Today's Ball: Snell MTB-X
    Precision Pro NX7 Pro Range Finder

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to -CRW- For This Useful Post:

2BFAST (06-17-2019), AcushnetGolf (06-17-2019), JDMRN81 (06-17-2019), kevin81002 (06-17-2019), robrandalgz (06-17-2019)

Handicap
    10ish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,740 Posts
    I played a few rounds with a guy who went all in on PXG about 6 weeks ago. He owns a successful company and recently decided to play more golf. His previous clubs were 16 years old. His index is ~5 and he can hit a ball. Not sure on the total price ($8K+???) but he said each wedge was about $650. What?!?!? He paid full price. Personal freedom with your own money is an awesome thing and he's happy with the purchase. It's a win-win transaction.
    Driver: G400 SFT, 10*
    Fairway: Rogue 3W
    Hybrids: Rogue X 3 & Rogue 4
    Irons: Apex CF16, 5-AW
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1, 50*, 56*, and 60*
    Putter: O-Works Red Marxman
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX

2019 Bridgestone Championship at Firestone Country Club

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vortex For This Useful Post:

JDMRN81 (06-17-2019), OGputtnfool (06-18-2019)

Handicap
    8.4 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    I absolutely do not like the way Parson's markets (or until this year prices) his product; however, the Gen 2 XF driver head I purchased from a THPer has been (in the words of the guys I play with) 'the best $ I've spent on golf clubs'....enough so that I now bag a Gen 2 5 wood and Gen 2 hybrid (both purchased on the used market for very decent prices considering the upgraded shafts that I got with them) and am more than happy with their performance. Am I going to be buying a complete set of PXG clubs? Certainly not at new prices and I'm not looking at any more on the used market. But at least for me and my swing, the driver, FW and hybrids perform.
    PXG Gen2 0811XF Graphite Design Tour AD VR stiff-regular
    Ping G410 3H
    PXG Gen2 5H
    Apex 19 Smoke Combo 5-AW Elevate Tour R (hardstepped 1x)
    Vokey Slate Blue 55* & 60*
    Piretti Savona Elite
    Lamkin Sonar

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Audioclyde For This Useful Post:

AcushnetGolf (06-17-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -CRW- View Post
    The PXG's will do nothing for you that a comparable set from another major OEM couldn't do at a lesser price. The only reason I have them is because they cost me so much less with the Hero's program (less than a set of Srixon's would have cost me).
    If PXG isn't careful, this program they offer -- when coupled with the luxury/exclusivity message -- could be their undoing. Many brands offer military discounts (rightfully so), but not all brands explicitly want to be more exclusive than inclusive in terms of price. There is a disconnect there somewhere.
    Part of the THP Radio Network

Driver: Z 785 and Cortex (10.5)
    3 Utility: Z U85 (20)
    Irons: Z-Forged/Z-785 combo
    Wedges: RTX-4
    Putter: BB01

Handicap
    +0.7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    ... KA BOOM BABY!!! Reminds me of the people riding in carts right next to tee boxes and greens, blaring music, drinking excessively and generally being loud and rude. A shame really as Parsons seems to have a good heart and I absolutely love his Hero's program. What kind of narcissist doesn't hire professionals to appear in their commercials, especially a high end product? I can't imagine a Mercedes commercial Ka Boom Baby NOBODY builds a better car PERIOD! Fwiw, I voiced the original Papa Johns commercials "Better ingredients, better pizza, Papa John's" until the narcissist that ruined their reputation thought he could do a better job insisting on being IN the commercial, and we see where that got them.
    F9 10.5*... Atmos TS Blue Blue 65s
    F9 15.5* ... Atmos TS Blue Blue 75s
    18* UDi 2 iron ... HZRDUS Black 85 Hys
    5-pw P760/4 iron P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind-SM5 M grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    ... 6330 at 33"
    TP5x

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chisag For This Useful Post:

JMB3 (06-17-2019), robrandalgz (06-17-2019), tahoebum (06-17-2019), Tenputt (06-17-2019)

El Capitan del Norte

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,435 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebum View Post

I have seen lots of players with PXGs, and lots of players with Honma. May depend on where you are. Talking to 2 fitters in the bay area both told me they move quite a few PXG units. A guy who I know who is not super well off (he works the trades and does not own his own business) ordered a set of Gen 2 irons recently because the performance was that much better than anything else he tested in his fitting. Said if he went with something else he would have hated himself for it so he bit the bullet and bought the irons he really wanted.

Overall I think Parsons has a different strategy and I am curious if it works out in the long term.
    Epic Flash SZ 9* D/S ADDI 65 SR
    Epic Flash SZ 13.5/18* Rogue Elite Blue 65R
    Rogue 21* VA Composite 85R Slay
    P790 5-AW LZ 5.0
    52* TTDG 115
    Pm Grind 19 58* Hi Rev 2.0 115
    Stroke Lab EXO 7 mini
    Duo Professional Matte Orange

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PXG irons aren't for the public golfer. Their was a wise Indian that was selling ceramic bowls. He had one for $5 one for $10 and one for $20. A coustomer said to him. Why the price difference? The bowls are the same. The Indian reply was some people like to pay $5 some like to pay $10 and some like to pay $20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Handicap
    #
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by golfunfiltered View Post
    If PXG isn't careful, this program they offer -- when coupled with the luxury/exclusivity message -- could be their undoing. Many brands offer military discounts (rightfully so), but not all brands explicitly want to be more exclusive than inclusive in terms of price. There is a disconnect there somewhere.
    You may be right. PXG's Hero's program is a military and first responders so it's a much more inclusive program than what any other OEM offers at the moment. And most brands offer something like 10-15% and this was 50% or more off the previous generation clubs. Now it's a smaller discount on newer clubs since most/all of the prior gen stuff has sold. I'm really surprised they did that rather than pause the program until a new generation was released to unload the old stuff.

Some tried to disparage the fact that it was prior gen clubs, but often times a change in generation doesn't mean it's for the better. My gen 1's perform identically to any other players CB iron I've used with one exception and that was address by putting my gamer shaft in them. My MB's even performed similarly when bent to stronger lofts to match the lofts of the players CB irons I've gamed. So all that was to say, that some people either give too much credit to a club because it's a new release and/or too little credit to a previous gen just because it's not the "latest and greatest".

It will be interesting to see how PXG holds up in the long run.
    OGIO Silencer Stand Bag
    Driver: PXG 0811X 7.5*, PX EvenFlow Blk 75/6.5
    Fairway: PXG 0341 13.5*, PX EvenFlow Blk 75/6.5
    Irons: PXG 0311T 3-PW, TT Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Wedges: PXG 0311 50*/54*/58*, TT DG TI X100
    Putter: PXG Bat Attack H, SS Flatso 1.0 Black
    Today's Ball: Snell MTB-X
    Precision Pro NX7 Pro Range Finder

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -CRW- For This Useful Post:

dduarte85 (06-17-2019), JDMRN81 (06-17-2019)