JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Why hasn't the ferrule changed? Everything else about clubs, design and assembly has changed, but the ferrule has stayed largely the same. I guess my real question, is why is it still there. Certainly we could have a head and shaft marriage without it and still have a seamless appearance without an addition of weight.

I've always thought it was a damping mechanism

It's still there because lots of people like them, me being included. I'm really not a fan of the non ferrule look.

I think it has become somewhat fashionable in recent times. You can get all colors, patterns, etc. now to personalize the look of your clubs. I don't do it myself, but know many others that do it.

I was wondering about the need for ferrules as well.
Surprised at this point that manufacturers haven't altered the hosel design so that it is more tapered to eliminate the use of the ferrule.

Grips, tape, and epoxy are now common place in my local golf stores, but do you think that same store has ferrules readily available for purchase? Nope!

I can do without them. I don't see the need.

Along these lines, PING has been adding ferrules to their clubs in recent years. Both the i and G lines have them now.

I do enjoy the ability to customize a bit, but I'd think design decisions could be made to make it unnecessary.

Club companies could even make a tapered hosel with a recessed section near the top that is painted to look like a ferrule.

Does it really add enough weight that anyone would notice it there or not there, or actually increase swing speed?

I could live without them but at the same time it's a simple piece of plastic that lets a golfer add his/her own style to clubs with all of the different options available now.

Is it necessary at all to begin with? Or is it simply an aesthetic thing?

I don't think they do anything except make the club look pretty
I prefer them I think they look weird with out them but that is most likely due to the fact they have always been there

I like them, I think the look good and make irons/wedges/woods look finished.

That said, there is about a billion different sizes and colors, as well as super slim/short "collar" like ferrules that look like almost nothing is there for those who don't care for ferrules.

Lots of clubs in the early to mid nineties didn't have ferrules. I could do without them, makes re-shafting a lot easier. imo

Its entirely psychological. Why else do people light the torches and get the pitchforks when "Made For" shafts are installed in their off the rack driver?

I think they look cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the colored ones. I think they can add a nice look to a club, but wouldn't care a whole lot if they weren't there.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I've never really given them much thought, and when I had my latest shafts installed I just went with what comes 'stock' on Callaway irons and wedges. I thought about going with the Navy blue ones, but decided I liked the black with silver rings and straight black instead. I like the look of them though and couldn't see myself gaming irons without them.

Last edited:
I prefer my clubs to have them. Don't think their is any functionality, but I like the look and options it gives a golfer to personalize the club if they so desire.

Like many things in golf, it is traditional more than functional.

I think they're an extra work mild annoyance from a club building perspective, but clubs do look a bit on the unfinished side without them so I use them and of course anyone I do clubs for always want them. I know a lot of people love brightly colored ones or unique ones but for me I would feel kind of self conscious about them after the honeymoon period. I ended up putting grey ones on mine to get it looking as 1 piece as possible from the shaft to the club head. It would be nice if they made heads with a more finished hosel end (taper or otherwise) so I could do away with ferrules.

The stubby ones on loft sleeves/tips really bug me though. Those tips can be reused about as many times as you want but they almost always have a stupid little plastic ferrule on the end that just never quite look right with replacement ferrules. For how small the part is and the fact that it's kind of a ferrule looking thing to begin with, that little plastic piece is just stupid.

I think it goes back to the history of clubs in modern golf. Why are there ferrules, I have no idea. Maybe to cover up some left over glue and make the clubs prettier? Ferrules certainly don't seem to have any structural support responsibilities. It also seems like an extra step to prep a club for use. Minor maybe, but hey.

I've always liked that Ping industrial look, only put on the iron what minimally is needed. Sad to see Ping change that.

cosmetic

The Cobra MyFly8 adapter now includes the "ferrule" so you don't need to add one. Guess that can be considered "getting rid of the ferrule".

Back